advertisement

Songs that make the hairs on your neck stand up

Barry123

pfm Member
Apologies if this has been done over the years but I’m new ish
My three are
Insomnia-Faithless, best dance track ever written and will never be bettered IMO
Living In Another World - Talk Talk
Pride - U2
Could add a fourth, Talk Talk again with Life’s What You Make It but let’s stick with a strict three

Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil
Song to the Siren - Tim Buckley
Ebben! Ne Andro Lontana from La Wally - Callas
For Emily - S&G
Kathys Song - S&G
Forbidden Colours - Sakamoto
Stella - Jam & Spoon
The Journey - Tangerine Dream
Spiegel Im Spiegel - Part

Sticking with just three:

Quicksand: David Bowie

Sunday Morning: The Velvet Underground

Song For Adam: Jackson Browne

Off the top of my head...

My Ideal - Denys Baptiste
Alabama - John Coltrane Quartet
Come Rain or Come Shine - Frank Sinatra

Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil
Song to the Siren - Tim Buckley
Ebben! Ne Andro Lontana from La Wally - Callas
For Emily - S&G
Kathys Song - S&G
Forbidden Colours - Sakamoto
Stella - Jam & Spoon
The Journey - Tangerine Dream
Spiegel Im Spiegel - Part
Bit more than three ;) but Forbidden Colours a nice call. Sylvian has been massive for me musically over the years

Kula Shaker - I'm Still Here

The intro chord just cuts through any and every moment and grabs my attention completely. Sublime!

I was listening to something on vinyl last night that always puts the hairs up on the back of my neck.....

"To begin at the beginning: It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobble streets silent and the hunched, courters’ and rabbits’ wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea......"

Last edited:
Wichita Lineman by Jimmy Webb. The song has a narrative and a mystery wrapped up in the life of a working man. The Glen Campbell version is the first I heard when it was released and it still moves me today. The stripped back version Jimmy Webb recorded a few years back is also superb.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000002UFV/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Kate Bush - This Woman's Work
Peter Gabriel - Father and Son
Hooverphonic - Eden

Nod to Jimmy Nail - Big RIver.... lyrically very poignant if you have a love of England's Northern towns and the history of the industrial revolution.

mmm... what song makes the hairs on my neck stand up?

hard question.

If you had asked 'what music?' then there are many pieces of classical music that do it for me (and many others I guess) - I blame the string section.

A few Kate Bush songs I suppose.

But if I dig deep in my head it has to be this.

My Mam used to sing this to me when I was very young. Hearing it now makes me feel odd inside.

advertisement

Back