advertisement

Why did no one tell me how much easier it is to terminate speaker cables with a blowtorch?

djftw

Heterodox Member
ODUPTSQ.jpg

I can’t believe I never tried this before, but seriously this is so much easier than a soldering iron!

I've actually long used a small lighter-gas/butane blowtorches for removing (for reuse ) SMT components inc ICs; sounds brutal, but it works a treat - 3sec blast of hot air, perhaps 100+w or so equivalent, and all done & clear/cooled.

But as I've long said, amongst others here - lots of power/heat for just long enough, usu does far less damage than say, an underpowered iron held in contact forever in vain.

@djftw - barefoot soldering in jams - that made me smile.

But as I've long said, amongst others here - lots of power/heat for just long enough, usu does far less damage than say, an underpowered iron held in contact forever in vain.

@djftw - barefoot soldering in jams - that made me smile.

I shall remember that now! I have even had the experience of cable insulation melting before the solder with an iron once!

Indeed, life post furlough will be hard, I’ve got used to rarely wearing sock and shoes for more than a few hours, much more comfortable especially when its been as warm as it has been...

What happens next in Marchbanks world - foot pushes slightly forward, cardboard slides in chain reaction, blowlamp overbalances and hot torch end embraces foot like a long lost friend. Disappointingly forthright language and a futile hunt for bandages are the result.

Last edited:
What happens next in Marchbanks world - foot pushes slightly forward, cardboard slides in chain reaction, blowlamp overbalances and hot torch end embraces foot like a long lost friend. Disappointingly forthright language and a futile hunt for bandages result.
As long as neither of us burn off our glorious ginger beards! ;)

Thank you. I ordered yesterday a large roll of 4mm ofc copper loudspeaker cable and like the looks of what you showed above. I have it also on some nac a5, but that was done by a dealer.

advertisement

Back