advertisement

SMSL 400 AKM 4499 DAC, new toy.

There's no difference between the aes data and USB data, so it has to be a firmware value in the Soncoz that attenuates the level according to the selected input. An email to ben at soncoz or pm to ben1987 via ASR is in order.

I’ve emailed Ben at Soncoz explaining the problem. I will update this thread when I have a reply.

I haven't heard the brooklyn plus, I sold my brooklyn on quite quickly though and the plus would have to be a lot better to beat the smsl400.

Hi Mand

Thanks for the feedback

I'm the process of changing my to reduce the number of boxes I've got so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. For under £400 I wouldn't be expecting stellar build quality. Can you give me some more detail on the interruption?

I haven’t experienced that Issue here and haven’t heard of any other incidents of music stopping, but if the users on PFM have any issues with the DACs please do report and I will relay back to Ben at Soncoz.
Keith

Does he mean when you flip between inputs like USB/Toslink/CoAx there is a silence as it switches from one to the other?

When you swap filters likewise, as the lit up icon changes.

The volume/control knob isn't stellar but for the money perfectly fine, it doesn't feel like it will fail or anything like that.

Haven't had time to really play with things properly - does not appear to be a fixed volume option?

Performance, case and socket build quality is equal to or above what you would expect at the price.

Does he mean when you flip between inputs like USB/Toslink/CoAx there is a silence as it switches from one to the other?

I took it to mean switching on light switches or mains power sockets. As you say the DAC momentarily mutes the outputs when you change sources anyway, quite a handy feature actually.

I've had no problem with mains interference causing a drop out of the music, mines been giving a solid performance so far, apart from the level issue between the USB and AES inputs. Keith please could you give Ben a nudge for me? I've emailed him about the problem but had no response yet.

I’ve emailed Ben at Soncoz explaining the problem. I will update this thread when I have a reply.
I have done some tests on the output level problem between the USB and the AES inputs.

I have installed PiCoreplayer on the RPi4 in place of Ropieee. It seems the output level between the USB and the AES is the same with PicorePlayer. I think the fault is with Ropieee. I noticed that the Pi does not always boot first time with the Ropieee SD card. I'm going to re-flash the card and try again.

Looks like there is no issue with the Soncoz DAC.

It did seem odd, digital is digital. Is 5hete a secondary vol control in ropeepi, maybe a level drop for intetsample overs or some such

Hi Mand

Thanks for the feedback

I'm the process of changing my to reduce the number of boxes I've got so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. For under £400 I wouldn't be expecting stellar build quality. Can you give me some more detail on the interruption?
Honestly Bernard.... It sounds great and works well. I have not experienced any drop outs. Not one. Build quality is in line with the cost or better.

Had a Soncoz DAC for a couple of days...

My impressions are unfortunately negative. The DAC was veiled and lifeless with a darkness I did not like, I think I could also detect a channel imbalance but that could just be me. Sent it back to France for a refund!

Going to try the SMSL M300 MKII next...

I'm on a cheap DAC hunt for a second system!

advertisement

Back