advertisement

What's the worst thing that could happen? - Turning on a JVC 4VN-990

smg1965uk

I thought about disposing of a my father's old JVC 4VN-990 Integrated 4 Channel Quadraphonic Amplifier about 16 years ago, but he passed away so I kept hold of it and stored it in a cool dry place.

I'm considering 'turning it on'! I know a couple of channel's had stopped working as I remember swapping cards (i think) to get 2 channels working for stereo about 29 years ago.

The question is could something catastrophic happen, could it just go bang?

Thought I'd ask the question in case I made the state of it worse.

Thanks,
Steve

Fuses etc mean nothing catastrophic should happen in terms of it exploding or setting on fire etc etc if that's what you mean.
It could potentially make it worse though....

Just don't connect your speakers to it before you flick the switch. Check DC at the speaker terminals first if you've got a multimeter.

Ideally power it up slowly using a Variac. Whatever you do it's from around 1973 and you say it already has faults so although it should be possible to return it to good as new operating conditions it would be not be easy and if paying someone such as myself to carry out the work not cheap either.

Ideally power it up slowly using a Variac. Whatever you do it's from around 1973 and you say it already has faults so although it should be possible to return it to good as new operating conditions it would be not be easy and if paying someone such as myself to carry out the work not cheap either.
This is part of the problem, I have a very limited knowledge of sorting it out compared to my father who could resolve any issue with it. This is a sentimental project (can't even remember how the amp sounded, if it was any good), so it's going to be a slow careful project. Thanks.

advertisement

Back