advertisement

Great vegetarian recopies: share your discoveries and ingrédients

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
Here's your chance, vegetarians all, make other vegetarians mouths water with your discoveries.

Me, apart from the classa of Falafel and Dal, it is salad where the ingrédients have been soaked in those SE Asian classics, soy sauce, garlics, red pepper and - the key difference for me - peanut oil. I love salade anyway, but mushrooms marinaded in aforementioned ingredients then thrown over the salade make you wonder why you ever ordered anything else.

Over to you :)

Chicken and cashews in yellow bean sauce (Chinese) with noodles, substitute Quorn (or nothing) for the chicken - PDG. Similarly, a careful choice of veggies in yellow bean sauce can be quite something - best with some French beans in particular, IMO.

I haven't used any non-veggie on a pizza for a VERY long time and haven't missed the meat, although anchovies do add quite a bit.

Mushrooms and broccoli in oyster sauce...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - almost no oyster in oyster sauce - does that count?

Cheese, tomato (and onion) on toast - carefully done, VERY hard to beat.

Roast mixed veggies with a garlic marinade...…...judged right, to die for.

Groundnut (peanut) oil should taste of precisely nowt.

Sounds good, Vinny - is there an equal substitut for the Quorn? I'm not a quorn fan, would veggie balls made of mushroom, couscous, bean curds and so on work, do you think? You can make a décent red curry using those - or maybe my tastebuds are a bit off.

As to the oil, it is used a lot in Asian cuisine just as that. Maybe its how it allows other ingrédients to work.

As to the garlic marinade - love it.

where the ingrédients have been soaked in those SE Asian classics, soy sauce, garlics, red pepper and - the key difference for me - peanut oil. I love salade anyway, but mushrooms marinaded in aforementioned ingredients then thrown over the salade make you wonder why you ever ordered anything else.

nice. i made this the other day:

Watermelon Poke (basically watermelon cubed up and marinated in asian ingredients). delicious
https://www.101cookbooks.com/watermelon-poke-recipe/

Last night I made these Samurai Burgers which were fantastic:
https://www.beyondmeat.com/recipes/...ook-chad-sarno-derek-sarno-and-david-joachim/

Along with it, I made the Caesar Salad recipe from the Mississippi Vegan cookbook. it came out a bit thick so I had to thin it with a little water. Nutritional yeast makes for delicious croutons

Just do the cashews and veggies then, no Quorn. Gently stir-fried Quorn, just to take colour, is hardly objectionable though.

Stir-fry the cashews until JUST taking colour. Whip them out, add veggies of choice, fry, add yellow bean and maybe a smidgeon of water, add back cashews. Stir, serve with noodles (or glutenous rice - I love glutenous rice...….).

Best yellow bean sauce - Mee Chun Chu Huo (braising) sauce.

p.s. I just LOVE the names that convert, half-hearted veggies have to give things - "nutritional yeast" LLLOL

No, I am not a veggie, very far from it...……….

QDu8OGUAUsUzZrmhiK0h_Dy5usJT47-H8gfYDqzJ3uXZl95zvIPrvP6g55sMI4Y_Ak0MgWqi0qsQIbhoLF8pMIc4DpOa5FUb3DVKcJ2UTFPwPWlzx4vFzqzJBkcn2Q_QIomEZw-I8yswHGaUmmeKs1cjoKkqm1r3hcz_aPziKYBwtHozY-aAHUpsWM1DodcXftX7k9AIQPeO_4Im0vh3Qfb-UGP0mLJI_DskZXbPP8_eIoQuHfGRPB-2Q_SrBz3lAwzccSNzhr3gmDvwaFeUycuQvtpop8pKUrKYTOSk9f3u127vrkThNOo5HqjPrI1_NHgQpOHEZyYAYjs5xa59XzaWSyLjnG_uKmLJrK7HidxxT1OnRjNvN7nwB49L8GqaF7tINxVzvwZF1zq-Bye7yZuFfEWzZT5-TOuwI39gtp1naHDp2PDGf8lUhEo0Bcs6hLnabnjzsSK_vvhFlpv4AWAcKiDXk96zMU_F2nl0AVq_p-MSecjQyFzZMmMmLcHRYqgmvkRIvJhlPJWDew7kk-DGEk220fIjzzqlYrUWsgX8j0qLGQ0chTa7zdVp3IMSJO4nZhNrpfg4dLBdm10hwFvytB9Ff5IjyEiObrQG81zOoFJ5fPMVcFyUh47Dvtz5RL37iEAY-q8tzAgbgzPBLCFMng4l6qEsOWKTXBuJr06QUa8jpkKKnn4s8938yw=w965-h723-no

Stir fry with pineapple, cashew and veggies. Jasmine Rice

zHsqiD3AzxgU6crk0vf6MpwG5QXhnHcLXlwX-Fyy6DC79uXPMmh7m5XbNfpP1bURuQt93B0FMf5s0H2qaCUVlr1RAYQ2tLsMUKyho8jhwY8vpjlMkoVPYPte2MjcKlT-rNLWPbh1d5wXSW4BF2pkecSO5xXSNb0QxZq1BkMnbL23VNdviSVXxBWA5_vJ84yi1oJpEs8JcJfNQuFfhF0dFGCVou9H-3GCAxQ_XNJ0H2VTf984BHb_pP8qvuvJlRJOWqpb3LTK9IPX-aAKcoZz0c1TImYm-i08NjJS_njrWy6iDX7P9KTceoAsXTyxZUAaw5kSdchHSkyykxeCxJaxFgZERXNN0vKOxMt1HUMuPbR84h8QO0HNUVU3hi4QSwBI4pA72y9qFPPYUqSSnzyZj7ahgD1lCdK28tkrj2WiUXaBiFLWMlzQB7Vs8hGLLb086pX7cROt4XYBkUtQnkweyOR2eNevhI8DabcIMWQ7EClq4aHAY3ub1eEUaNY0wb1hQf0iQH3IJNaedEiXWH3TfIdNwDR3dYXvhIj7sErh1XnlTcSJjf1a2HqiYJCVQn5IRTUMZoBZ3JZ9boeY20isMLG8Y5ZsO8NrZHdqAC3hnSkdI7xvJryXChx65OXMwYvWJLw_L0joLcy5JnkvCwm4bFhFfvROjxhuMBDTW7X6CXTQQIJTzLwhyatY6XJVvA=w543-h723-no

Noodle salad....Egg omlette can be omitted if you don't do eggs!

Bi7c1piSEOhMNsu3zLmUFPQVL2QeaBuk-atqt_fZZAnqgdYqP55vjGA6ZcjGNJ4xubwxQXdVTQT0AIW9IDuEVLNPAxS5MPzOS3KOD4nnIhHHLZn-YOw-O0Z6lmVRLPlVbpSsHeHGYLsbmI4EXvH46jnPOUWMe71Gkyrb9QqE_eMh1TPNJW5zbc1TGOw5wO9_fLejNBJdOfYZMfbxCdY9A9tdQ1hNkeMkzOlLycBlU7izO_3mkyDuEzLuOtUnsi_DuSB-j0rtQI-8-dkLgLY2H75jgzuno7WoANTU_0Kx4bR4XbsRwwwrd05YGC-nTEFokb6kbIfvnnGfW0U3vIrCwgQkYpbZZdXrYxHGTQ-idwoz_vDEIg_tOZKIiZ-39n2U26aO7rggc2zMNwEVgpoqaGfSD8SoTvkS1Phne-LzvE-V4cFGAcf8mBSCNPVo0VegaSIiZAdtK4NyfczkhufAm9gh35xDJtkY_mOrNBwi5TEedBXdT_tI_Ylav48I7MJALU1kjMOl6PpjjfJ9StKlYJjSsJU7dPgvt570HJeP5HGAuaHO21bfHxNdIdOpRLnheAACsWWGmVq7VyrFQfphgJmZealfoA_TythtpoEqHlyEdWTGqM8Hfk1V-JHXi9lnMludsKVLcMzY0VbgThzQ4rNKsdoU4Iu7FUfCXQVItkGVzvb8xcIqHadIHngNQQ=w965-h723-no

Som Tom with Mango

JpOAKKc2tCAADrc-vF5fC4lIX7lsnU7zRs4GeyQgoo-H6Q9qjvgL9TcpplK8gP0Gpaw0YWmbsGdo4cD_RG_thpKkRo9GiUDn5JuboHSJzbnLQioCToeze6LtQ-pWoueLFv8Shjn1pJkTPL7_LomsXf6pAVl4auFTzQV9NyHNxfRrmdyJ5N2MGQDFNFbOC-1l1QSpcDOgbN0m7KeQgfk9PO_oWxXLYcfo5dQSenXTLTtnsjHhEMZfpOtk9T9uGJoaQgZUUcli7KhrZu5zCyqi8D_ca8nAL3kghoaFQObIAWybdWF-bLaup4dkRzXQT6T35s1hO0aq6r1VdW0WWAaLuEWHSVxd8hcqjItui7K4tWgZOXFvpk6hzoWysuI3NtUWy7Ykxstq5M5II5Vl6QK6I_lI3xGRUPZHj017MVUEYft8GL5-DIJOO_IB6HttD8-94QzQ-BfHgDM797OR6ESXWPvd-12Et2k2bIryNSxNBA3DwQ0kuMW3hE4pBPSXxpvq2w_dMq9NWwhFnxyHU-L-vcq9Z3w7q60UTchqVY3nSQVMlYdx-4JF5_F8OJz6GUk22_49hibdpF0auwH74e8UIOd-IUlO7Be3XcxTJDp7xmX0SdmtgB2kEGCSuAYxJyYXmL8-y-Y7cAOJ1FXCEDYC365yAZozN7Oip5FK_5jNAQMje8X-JghxmTCtIrLvFQ=w543-h723-no

Red Curry

oy9FcbY89b5zWKATfswtW04W9FP8XMrKqjeEZUw379x37M9nGc6QJMFO3wGOTMuTg8169to5MSBd6WiLzWfcbejUuRIj5rd9w0KC7dPzOT3qPEVaYpL6XizTpp7BhOvVxwfnLBZ2k2-rkRcNyKUDO5F5MNqOXfPsa0Dj5XjpsI3Me78DGwPYyKpATR3MiJCt7eJizPAPvfmGLnodsHUkirDWmHB1z5HBMn30Cb8LRRsSxkynhCrlUORo2aJ-LEg-1xbPn7jREZzquP2tz1jmGXYUGOq3M5Sq3QkVQDGiLLsbQjOwmB9ym0ifP--Xe1e9FiOzlNEIU2hPVjvT4RG2QX6t_dQE4eXIXfYTobwA3kSC3y7A8rHwslJtNErl9HNj_R9jnVXU4P7fCYqZGGrZpt49CuRFFrQYr4ifBdG6ewJZxKjvJnSz6teV32_iBHnqWp3aycVSwy31u3dEw_1pXr1PX9d4oX1SyBO_3j3m2fHRR6jd1TVNKHG6aKCWjr3svCoxMz-3XX420RSx6YQrNGeMaB3S3vSFfQiSB03nKDlT7MEearISnJfhy2HFTDe5PCXG-svHZH7j4tFgtBXPHSD3efYDC6ZKj7pWm2JhDUYPVtVppSm9Qh9w-pcgkMU66Up4nVYXbLYeSJVM09NOnAXsV9aGZU7UyoRiYmSaURdDL5PUcr8ZKg6XZMZddg=w543-h723-no

Tofu Stir fry.

Zygote 23, you need to invite us to your annual pinkfishmedia veggie feast. Apart from the ingrédients, your présentation is absolutely brilliant.

Just do the cashews and veggies then, no Quorn. Gently stir-fried Quorn, just to take colour, is hardly objectionable though.

Stir-fry the cashews until JUST taking colour. Whip them out, add veggies of choice, fry, add yellow bean and maybe a smidgeon of water, add back cashews. Stir, serve with noodles (or glutenous rice - I love glutenous rice...….).

Best yellow bean sauce - Mee Chun Chu Huo (braising) sauce.

p.s. I just LOVE the names that convert, half-hearted veggies have to give things - "nutritional yeast" LLLOL

No, I am not a veggie, very far from it...……….
Added to the menu for next week !

Zygote 23, you need to invite us to your annual pinkfishmedia veggie feast. Apart from the ingrédients, your présentation is absolutely brilliant.

You are very welcome to pop in ...I'm supposed to be moving to Thailand though this looks like it has been a costly folly! So I'll happily feed you should you show up.

Oh and always feed the eye ;)

I can't taste any difference between tofu and Quorn when included in most any dish. On their own, maybe

I made a batch of hummus last week that was disappointing, so it sat untouched in the fridge for days. Pulled it out yesterday thinking of throwing it out, but it was fine. One bag of pita had molded though.

Hummus is usually at its best straight out of the processor, I don't think of it as one of those dishes that improve in the fridge.

You are very welcome to pop in ...I'm supposed to be moving to Thailand though this looks like it has been a costly folly! So I'll happily feed you should you show up.
Oh and always feed the eye ;)
I certainly will. If you need a place to stay, give me a hoy, I have an apartment in Hua Hin. I'll give you my email details if the administrateur allows me too before I get banned.

I certainly will. If you need a place to stay, give me a hoy, I have an apartment in Hua Hin. I'll give you my email details if the administrateur allows me too before I get banned.

I'm due to fly out to Pattaya on 11th Aug! Due to start work 28th Aug. So far I have no visa, no work permit and no permission to enter the Kingdom. The result ....because it's against the rules to work here in N.I on a career break I am effectively unemployed for a year unless I get to the Land of Smiles.
I believe I can get a ferry from Pattaya to Hua Hin so I may just take you up!

I've actually given up panicking about not getting out and am just floating on an ocean of 'Whateverrrrrrr' these days.

As for the veggie food...If I can't have it from fresh and on your plate/bowl in 20 odd mins it'll not be worth eating. (Indian curry may take a little longer!)

Yes, there is indeed a ferry. - why don't we meet half way? Know what you mean re visas, work etc - am in same position myself. As to your comments re vegetarian food, agree 100%. Only exceptions are some indian and pakistani dishes as you say.

You'll find thai food, including the street food, is delicious and they'll try to do what you want. Note that chicken is sometimes seen as OK for vegetarian dishes, particularly in soup and stocks, but, hell you have to live!

The lady who does the street food outside our flats is a wonderful cook by any standard, and has spent much time testing stuff she know I and others will like, so do visit, a réal treat.

Yes, there is indeed a ferry. - why don't we meet half way? Know what you mean re visas, work etc - am in same position myself. As to your comments re vegetarian food, agree 100%. Only exceptions are some indian and pakistani dishes as you say.

You'll find thai food, including the street food, is delicious and they'll try to do what you want. Note that chicken is sometimes seen as OK for vegetarian dishes, particularly in soup and stocks, but, hell you have to live!

The lady who does the street food outside our flats is a wonderful cook by any standard, and has spent much time testing stuff she know I and others will like, so do visit, a réal treat.

I've spent the last few summers in and about S.E. Asia then threw the head up and decided to try for a job teaching there. Offered a Biology Post and accepted but it's looking less and less likely that I'll get out any time soon. I'd never considered Pattaya as it looks shady as lol.

As for Thai food....I love it...all of it apart from some of the minced pork and tomato dishes. Whilst I'm practically 100% veggie here at home I'll be living on seafood if and when I get out.

Never been to Pattaya so can't, or won't, comment, but, yes, the Thai government basically created it with help of the US military for one reason alone. However, it s Thailand, so you never know. I had a wonderful holiday in one of the Phuket islands in a ressort created for the same reason just recently not because I did anything more than send some medication for the dog a guest had abandoned at the hotel. Stunning views, stunning food and when I went to pay, the lady just looked at me.

Seafood is great.

I can’t add a lot to the Thailand thread but I did go to Hua Hin some years ago and loved it. My wife (at the time) and I wandered into a bar which turned out to be owned by a chap from Bristol, which is where we lived. Anyway here is a vegan recipe which I enjoyed thoroughly even though I’m merely vegetarian. ☹️

https://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk/recipes/vegan-satay-tofu-stir-fry

Choose your own marinated tofu, this is a really flavoursome meal. The addition of lime wedges and chopped coriander are recommended.

Aubergine Parmagiana with freshly baked bread.
Funnily enough I made exactly that yesterday, garlicky and gooey with mozzarella and provolone, thinly sliced aubergine pre cooked in Parmesan and olive oil. The kids loved it so much they had the leftovers for lunch today.

advertisement

Back