advertisement

Audial S4 Dac - Subjective Review

Mission accomplished Alex, chuffed it’s worked out for you. You’re certainly braver than me buying without hearing.

Thanks for your part in this Paul. I hope you find yourself near enough to come and have a listen some time.

Might be a while before I can afford a trip to the big smoke...... all but decided on new Amp (Head in hands emoji)

This is where I wear my subjectivist hat, glued on. The RME in NOS mode is not better than this implementation of the Philips chip. It just isn’t.
If you like it better, then it is better for you. There's no arguing about that. I was merely commenting on what differences look like from a technical perspective.

That’s fine. You are welcome to hear them side by side. Red wine or blindfolds, or both.

That’s fine. You are welcome to hear them side by side. Red wine or blindfolds, or both.

Are you still enjoying this TDA1541 DAC of yours? I would love to audition one but would not dare buy one without auditioning like you did.

Thanks for asking. Yes, thankfully, since it almost equates to two months rent and food, very much. It has done what only the best hifi does: allow me to forget that it’s even there.

Hi, I'm currently using a Metrum Octave Mk1 and am wondering about investing in an Audial S4. Has anyone compared it (or earlier versions) with a DDDAC (I guess a 4 board version)?

Many thanks.

Cheers. Bill

Hi Bill, I had the Metrum Octave Mk1. It was the start of my NOS journey. I loved it but it was too compromised at the frequency extremes IMO. I bought the Octave Mk2. It was marginally worse. I bought the Chord 2Qute, overall a slightly better dac particularly top and bottom. I researched the TD1541 chip, nearly bought a vintage Marantz but splashed out on the Audial S4. It does everything the Chord does (now relegated to the TV) and adds the magic. I won't be buying another dac. Hope this helps.

Hi Alex

Thanks - I think I've read everything you and Yomanze have posted on the Audial DACs (there’s not much information out there), but I’ve not seen any comparisons with the 4 board DDDACs that people also seem to be very happy with at a similar price. It’s a difficult decision sight unseen - have you had any buyer's remorse?

Cheers. Bill

None; but I’ve not auditioned the option you’re referring to. If I win the lottery I’ll consider DAVE 2 but otherwise I’m done.

It’s not a comparison I’m fond of but the Audial is ‘digital vinyl’ so I guess that’s a reference point.

How would you best describe the differences between the Octave Mk1 and the Audial S4 - and how big would you say the differences are?

Cheers. Bill

It is much the same NOS sound but has far more resolution, nuance and detail, particularly down low and up high.

Having said that, I do believe most competent dacs sound more alike than different and one’s returns are diminishing at this point.

Thanks Alex.

Yes I’m sure you’re right about diminishing returns, this is just the way it is. Your comment about 'far more ...' does however suggest a significant improvement which would be great.

I think I paid around £320 or so for the Octave so the Audial will be around 6 times the cost. If you were back at this point now, do you think you’d make the same decision again, without question, knowing what you now know about the Audial having used it extensively?

Cheers. Bill

Yes I would. I’m in the lucky position of being able to listen to music about 10 hrs a day. The non fatiguing aspect of the Audial (and vinyl) is worth the price of entry alone for me.

You may have said but what’s the rest of your system Bill? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Hi Alex

Intel Nuc running LMS, Audiocomm modified Squeezebox SB3 with improved clocks etc, Metrum Octave DAC (also have a highly modified Jolida FxII DAC with V Caps etc, but this is currently out of order, waiting for me to get around to getting it fixed - that’s why I got the Octave as a stop gap), Conrad Johnson CA200 control amp (basically a zero global feedback 180w power amp with an integrated passive pre - based on the Conrad Johnson Premier 350 power amp), Amphion Xenon II speakers, Ben Duncan mains isolation transformer, MIT Z Powerbar mains filter, plus some good quality cables.

Cheers. Bill

It does everything the Chord does (now relegated to the TV) and adds the magic.

What kind of magic does it add ? Is it a holographic image / detail or is it the flow and timing of the music, just curious.

advertisement

Back