advertisement

Simplest way to keep a Nait3 as is but using Flatcap as well

Gareth North

Hi All,

I want to run a nait3 as an integrated but just get the benefit of adding a Flatcap to it in the simplest way possible with minimal external wiring.

I think what I have to do is solder a 4 pin DIN socket on the preamp board (top arrow position) then this will connect using a SNACI4 to one of a number of 4 pin DIN sockets on the Flatcap then using a SNAIC 5 to connect from the only 5 pin din socket on the flatcap to the Naim CD3.5 PSU Socket (also 5 pin) to have the flatcap supply power to both. I also I think I have to break the jumper (bottom arrow) that is like having the external supplied link plug in the 5 pin socket fitted all the time that is removed when using external power supplies.

Having looked at the 4 pin and 5 pin output socket pins and following them to the tracks on the pre amp top and bottom of the circuit board it appears 24v is connected to 24v in either socket and same for ch1 ch2 and -ve.

What I would like to confirm is having done my research that this is indeed a way to add the flatcap to a nait3. Any advice or confirmation gratefully received.

Best Regards

Gareth North

The definitive thread on fully splitting a NAIT 3 (as opposed to simply converting one to an NAC92) is here.

A few thoughts on the subject...
  • FLAT-CAP 3 x 4 pin DIN sockets are signal outputs only.
  • FLAT-CAP 1 x 5 pin DIN accepts signal input and outputs 2 x 24V (i.e. FLAT-CAP can only be used to power 1 component at a time).
  • NAP90 (or NAP90 side of split NAIT 3) can provide a single 24V rail whilst accepting signal via the same 4 pin DIN (or via 'LINK PLUG, FLEXI, 4-WAY, NAIT-5' in the case of split NAIT 3).
LINK PLUG, FLEXI, 4-WAY, NAIT-5
link-plug-flexi-4-way-nait-5-93-p.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice I now get that the Flatcap1 can only output to one device. I thought it could output power to multiple. Ho Hum that has led to a lot of confusion on my part. Ok so for what I want to do which is just add a Flatcap to my NAIT3 that I never want to split into sepeartes.

I think the easiest route then is to solder the 5 pin din connector on the pre amp board of my nait3. Leave the 4 internal connector wires in place unbroken as I never want to split my nait integrated into separates so don't need the above pictured connector cable or the two more 4 pin connectors it needs soldering in place on my nait3 as after all they only do externally what the internal 4 wires people are always cutting to split the nait3 up does and is for those who like mixing and matching and splitting the nait3 internals which I'm not interested in. So then I just need to cut that one wire next to the group of 4 that allows use of an external 5 pin header which I will keep in place in the newly solder 5 pin din socket until I get another Flatcap1 so I can power the cd3.5 and the nait3 pre amp section with flatcap power.

Does this make sence? Maybe the Hicaps in the same older olive slim design allow powering the cd3.5 and nait3? I will have to have a look into this.

Best Regards

Gareth North

You'll want to have another look at step 2. in the first post of the thread linked to in post #5 above.

Among the advantages of using FLATCAP or HICAP to power a NAC is that these provide two regulated 24V rails for dual rail NACs (i.e. from NAC32-5/42-5 on up). Within NAIT 3, there is a link on the pre-amp board that bridges the single 24V rail from the power-amp such that both channels of the pre are powered. On a converted NAIT 3, cutting this link requires a 5-pin link plug be inserted into the 5-pin DIN socket should a single rail supply (such as from a separate NAP) be subsequently used (assuming a NAC92 conversion (or full split) with 4-pin DIN(s) installed). This link isn't present in dual rail NACs which is why a 5-pin link plug comes fitted as standard.

WARNING: If the NAIT 3 channel rails link isn't cut, the two 24V rails from FLATCAP will be bridged, possibly letting some smoke out of the latter. Perhaps @MJS could advise here.

P.S. FLATCAP and HICAP are the same when it comes to being capable of powering one component at a time. Starting with FLATCAP 2, two components can be simultaneously powered, via a second 5-pin DIN socket that is sufficient to run CD3-5/CD5, etc., Highline, or Stageline.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back