advertisement

Record Player recommendations, please?

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I've been thinking about record players - I've got a Dual which was donated by a friend, but what I'd really like is a player that starts off by being acceptably competent, and can then be further advanced by upgrades later on.

Is there anything that would fit this brief (with a reasonable procurement price) better than an older Rega Planar 2 or possibly even 3?

Recommendations gratefully received.

To be honest some of the dual decks of old were very good
Is the one you have not up to standard?

The Dual? It's ok, but it's a bit of a plastic fantastic, I fancied something that I could upgrade over time. The elegant simplicity of the Regas is not, I fear mirrored by the Thorens. I also don't see many upgrades for the Thorens, there seem to be a bunch for the Regas.

Technics SL-1200 Mk2 - too blingy? Lots of upgrades/tweaks.

LP12 - gazzilions of options, that one linked up thread could keep you going for ages

LP12 - gazzilions of options, that one linked up thread could keep you going for ages

More that they're expensive to buy to start with. That LP12 is nice, but EFF ME! The cost of some of the upgrades is equal parts horrendous and ridiculous.

I think the days of picking up something a bit domestically challenged for peanuts and upgrading it to make something much better than the sum of the parts cost are gone but no doubt you might get lucky with patience

Maybe a Lenco - there are upgrades for it that don't seem too much £ - dunno what like it would be to start with if it's cheap

Those LP12's sure can eat the budget - think the top one is like £20K now - I remember them being about £80 when I were a yoof? A neighbour is a Linn/Naim guy, I think he said he'd paid £4K for a new entry level LP12.

+1 for a Technics 1200 mk2 good ones still available for £300-400, the same thing costs £900 from Technichs new today, also lots of very good 70-90s Jap turntables out there from Pioneer, Denon, Micro Sieki, Sony, etc etc
Or a Garrard 401 motor unit still available for £400-600 need a plinth and arm
Or a Lenco GL75 available for £30 - 300 again loads of mods can be made and you have very nice sounding turntable.
Alan

I've been thinking about record players - I've got a Dual which was donated by a friend, but what I'd really like is a player that starts off by being acceptably competent, and can then be further advanced by upgrades later on.

Is there anything that would fit this brief (with a reasonable procurement price) better than an older Rega Planar 2 or possibly even 3?

Recommendations gratefully received.

Budget please.:)

I was hoping to pick up a reasonable second-hand player with a reasonably priced upgrade path for a start point of under £200.

You are likely to get something that is either in urgent need of TLC (=£££), or is not itself very amenable to upgrade for that sort of money.

As this is DIY, heavy platter Lenco's* are the best. From fettling an original deck into working condition, all the way to bespoke PTP based deck.

*L75/78 are still plentiful to chop, 59/70 and 88/99 best for original restoration.

The best value for money you can find on the market are Lencos L75 and L78. Besides, it isn't a problem to get spare parts and to tweak these excellent decks.

I shall have to go and look at Lenco spinners, then. I don't know why, but I seem to have an unreasonable prejudice against them - possibly on the basis of their looks. I must try and overcome it.

You can probably find a manticore mantra with stock rb250 for £300. Much less and what you get won't be much better than your dual. Go for a Lenco if you want to put some work in, but I doubt a well sorted lenco with the original arm will be better than the Manticore.

Personally I'd stump up the extra cash for the LP12 linked upthread. That looks like a billy bargain.

Mantra is a good shout. Systemdek IIX is another that should cost even less. Both use the typical Philips/Airpax/Premotec AC synchronous motors so are compatible with a wide range of power supply upgrades (and motor thrust bearing tweaks). The cheapest Systemdeks will likely come with a Jelco OEM tonearm, either branded 'Systemdek' or 'Profile'. Many early examples had the Jelco sourced Mission 774LC on, and some were shod with Linn Basik LV-X (a few with the S-shaped Basic LV-V). Later IIX with rectangular tonearm boards and Rega RB250 or RB300 tonearms on will carry a higher price, possibly into Mantra territory. Alternative tonearm boards are easily fabricated for either deck (should you wish to change from Linn mount to Rega, or vice versa).

I have a black ash finish Royce Elega tt with Mission 774LC tonearm (made by Jelco) and AT110e cart. No real idea of price though. Decent enough tt in good condition. I found that with a headphone rig it sounds pretty decent with good clarity and stereo separation but was a bit muddled in my main system, although I suspect (from the use with headphones) that this is transmitted noise into the support which stands on a joisted wooden floor.
The motor is mounted on a base-plate which has sorbothane feet beneath and a simple foam slab suspension to the upper plinth. A one-piece arm and bearing board is then bolted to the underside of the upper plinth. I can provide photos if interested. (I'm based at Derby / Notts border area).

Mantra is a good shout. Systemdek IIX is another that should cost even less. Both use the typical Philips/Airpax/Premotec AC synchronous motors so are compatible with a wide range of power supply upgrades (and motor thrust bearing tweaks). The cheapest Systemdeks will likely come with a Jelco OEM tonearm, either branded 'Systemdek' or 'Profile'. Many early examples had the Jelco sourced Mission 774LC on, and some were shod with Linn Basik LV-X (a few with the S-shaped Basic LV-V). Later IIX with rectangular tonearm boards and Rega RB250 or RB300 tonearms on will carry a higher price, possibly into Mantra territory. Alternative tonearm boards are easily fabricated for either deck (should you wish to change from Linn mount to Rega, or vice versa).

I suspect you may be surprised by the prices Systemdeks are now fetching...

advertisement

Back