advertisement

Nait 2 and Linn LP12

I ran an Ortofon MC200 into NAIT 1 via Ortofon's own T-10 transformer for a couple of years. Sounded quite superb, with no hum or RFI susceptibility issues, and HF extension/clarity that went to infinity and beyond. Loved it more than when using Ortofon's MCA-76 head-amp (no slouch).

The thing with transformers is to make sure that they provide the correct load impedance for a given source impedance. This article (credit: Rothwell Audio Products Ltd.) is a good guide to the ins/outs, and pros/cons of using transformers vs. active phono stages, or headlamps, and includes a handy table of recommended load impedances for a number of popular MC cartridge models from budget to exotic.

The NAITs 1 and 2 were only fitted with a very simple MM stage. Despite this the source of choice was still the LP12 at Naim so grab your favourite MM cartridge and hear it as designed!

The NAITs 1 and 2 were only fitted with a very simple MM stage. Despite this the source of choice was still the LP12 at Naim so grab your favourite MM cartridge and hear it as designed!

May I ask what MM involved by then ?

I remember running some Grado Sign and Grace F9e back then, not sure if K5/K9 were evolved.?

K9 came along before NAIT 2, with K5 and K18 being introduced the same year as NAIT 2 (1988 IIRC).

None were a patch on the venerable Grace F9E, which brand sadly disappeared very shortly thereafter.

A Decca Super Gold with the Nait2 would be a solution that would make you forget about any future upgrades for years to come.

advertisement

Back