advertisement

Sockets! Really?

Recently replaced all those standard white plastic sockets around the house with something of better quality. Turned the stereo on shortly after and wow, the richer, fuller sound with more bass. It’s like a got a new amp. Didn’t think this was possible?

It’s like when you re-paint the room, everything always seems better for a while. Once you’ve adjusted you’ll realise nothing’s really changed at all.

When we had all the light switches in the flat changed a while back, I noticed...

... the electrician's bill :)

Seriously, I never noticed any difference when replacing the standard "Legrand" French sockets for gold-plated German style ones on the dedicated radial circuits. But the objective was just to be able to invert live and neutral by just turning the plug around.

Noticed nothing sound wise when I went back from the gold-plated sockets to Legrand after redecoration (they look nicer especially as all the other sockets in the room are the same model).

Last edited:
Recently replaced all those standard white plastic sockets around the house with something of better quality. Turned the stereo on shortly after and wow, the richer, fuller sound with more bass. It’s like a got a new amp. Didn’t think this was possible?

I’ve to get better bass! Bonus!

But, you unplugged and plugged back in all your hifi...

Maybe simply unplugging and cleaning the connections made at the socket improved the current

Maybe you moved some of the equipment when having the sockets changed? Put things in a different order on the rack?

Maybe you unplugged the RCA’s to move the equipment out of the way too?

Did you move the speakers when the sparky needed access?

So many things that might have made a difference. Simply unplugging all the plugs and RCA’s on a system can seem to change the way it sounds.

But I do hope the better bass stays!

I always get an excellent result by cleaning all the hi-fi's contacts, every year or so when I feel the system is sounding off.

Yes, it's a cheap upgrade to clean all your electrical contacts or plug/unplug. If your old sockets were oxidised and/or dirty, big potential improvements. However, some of this is sensible maintenance, but I can't remember when I had a spring-clean regardless.

Yes, it's a cheap upgrade to clean all your electrical contacts or plug/unplug. If your old sockets were oxidised and/or dirty, big potential improvements. However, some of this is sensible maintenance, but I can't remember when I had a spring-clean regardless.
Oh the sockets were an absolute disgrace. Cheap as crap and some in other rooms were destroyed internally. Might add the Tv and internet extender also works more smoothly. No interruptions or stuttering from the tv.

I replaced a socket in one room a few years back and as I drew it away from the wall the live pair of bare wires just fell out of the terminal. Subsequently found that many of the grub screws needed tightening on the others. I'm sure such poor connections in mains supply could be measured and I wouldn't be so sure they have no sonic effect on downstream kit. Andrew Weekes recommended separate spur(s) for audio equipment for a reason and many on this forum benefitted.

John

Turned the stereo on shortly after and wow, the richer, fuller sound with more bass. It’s like a got a new amp. Didn’t think this was possible?

In the UK, houses use what are called 'ring' mains. Think of it this way. On each floor of the house, the electricity goes in a loop through all of the sockets and back to the distribution board. It doesn't actually work that way but imagine you drew a circle with the board at the bottom and all of the sockets on the circle coming back round to the board.

So say the ground floor has twenty sockets on it. There will be twenty two lengths of wire forming the circuit, joining the board and all of the sockets together in a loop. The electricity powering your stereo passes through the terminals on every other socket in the loop!

Over time the connections in the sockets can deteriorate. The cables can oxidize and the screws can work loose, don't ask how that can happen, but it can! That is assuming they were done up properly in the first place. When I checked the wiring in the house we live in I found not just loose screws but fittings with missing screws! The fitter had obviously lost the screw and just shoved the wire in the hole. That was on the lighting circuit, you wouldn't get away with that bodge on the sockets.

If you replace all of the sockets the act of removing and refitting them could improve the connections in the ring and result in the difference you heard. You're not just talking about one connection but dozens. Some people, myself included, have fitted a 'spur' to supply their Hi-Fi systems. That means a straight run of unbroken cable from the board to the stereo, complacently bypassing the ring with all its joints. The effect is probably similar to what you are hearing but bigger.

As you've just found out, anything you do which improves the electrical connections in your system can and usually does improve the sound.

In the UK, houses use what are called 'ring' mains. Think of it this way. On each floor of the house, the electricity goes in a loop through all of the sockets and back to the distribution board. It doesn't actually work that way but imagine you drew a circle with the board at the bottom and all of the sockets on the circle coming back round to the board.

So say the ground floor has twenty sockets on it. There will be twenty two lengths of wire forming the circuit, joining the board and all of the sockets together in a loop. The electricity powering your stereo passes through the terminals on every other socket in the loop!

Over time the connections in the sockets can deteriorate. The cables can oxidize and the screws can work loose, don't ask how that can happen, but it can! That is assuming they were done up properly in the first place. When I checked the wiring in the house we live in I found not just loose screws but fittings with missing screws! The fitter had obviously lost the screw and just shoved the wire in the hole. That was on the lighting circuit, you wouldn't get away with that bodge on the sockets.

If you replace all of the sockets the act of removing and refitting them could improve the connections in the ring and result in the difference you heard. You're not just talking about one connection but dozens. Some people, myself included, have fitted a 'spur' to supply their Hi-Fi systems. That means a straight run of unbroken cable from the board to the stereo, complacently bypassing the ring with all its joints. The effect is probably similar to what you are hearing but bigger.

As you've just found out, anything you do which improves the electrical connections in your system can and usually does improve the sound.

If the average homes ring main was as bad as you describe you'd have fun trying to use 2-3kW appliances like electric heaters etc... And as most of us can plug in such heavy duty appliances with no problem then your hi fi, drawing something in the region of 60 - 300W for most of us, is no issue.

Another nice placebo effect, says the electrician on PFM.
Am I the only one, by the way?

The King’s new clothes!

If the average homes ring main was as bad as you describe you'd have fun trying to use 2-3kW appliances like electric heaters etc... And as most of us can plug in such heavy duty appliances with no problem then your hi fi, drawing something in the region of 60 - 300W for most of us, is no issue.
Do many people use high demand items like electric heaters these days? Biggest single item we have is the kettle, which is on the kitchen ring. The rest are, as you say, well under 1kW.
Seems to me, dodgy connections could affect the mains impedance. I thought that was generally regarded as having a measurable effect?

advertisement

Back