advertisement

Naim Supernait 2 Noise from tweeters bluesound node 2i, a loud mains hum

wicky

pfm Member
Right, here goes. I have the following all connected correctly but I have a horrid, unlistenable mains hum in the tweeters. This continues to be heard, rising in loudness when volume on amp adjusted in all channels (even though only have one source connected if I toggle between them it’s exists). If I don’t have the Node 2i connected there is no nasty noise. It’s not the slight hum I have experienced before.

System is :
Naim supernait 2
Bluesound Node 2i
B&W CM9 S2 speakers

Connected via RCA cables

The Naim amp was previously used as a pre with a Naim power amp before I am told, and not done anything other than connect it to streamer ( if this makes any difference)

I tried using a ground loop between two devices but no difference. This is the first time I have plugged all this together

So, any ideas from your lovely people , thanks in advance for your help

Something I have heard work before is an earth cable, at one end connected to the pin of an rca plug & at the other, connected to the earth pin of a mains plug.
Obviously, NO other pins of the mains plug have any connections, remove the fuse etc. So you are just using the mains earth to connect to the pin of an RCA plug, inserted into a spare input of the supernait.
Other people have said this could set up an earth loop & make things worse, or just plain wont work at all, but I know a mate of mine with a very similar system to yours, ie Naim with a Node & it worked for him.

I will later, but my mains block has a grounding post , as does the Naim. I simply stripped a piece of mains cable back, and used the earth to link them together.

advertisement

Back