advertisement

Schiit Talkin'....

JTC

PFM Villager...
I'm intrigued by the neatness and utility of the Schiit amps, specifically the Freya+ balanced valve preamp and a pair of Aegir monoblock amps as a systemic alternative to blowing the equivalent budget on a valve power amp and making do with my existing DAC as pre.

Has anyone got the Freya+ and/or the Aegirs? What do you really think about them? By sheer chance, a Freya+ plus two Aegirs costs much the same as my proposed valve power amp, and I'm just curious. Would this be a step backwards from spending the same amount of money on a leading valve power amp driven just from a DAC pre? Or would it boil down more as a matter of preference? I feel compelled to at least consider a couple of alternatives, but would like to keep the essence of a valve sound in the system.

(I'm trying to put a cap on the spending, and I reckon I want to keep 2020 spending under a certain amount and then close the chequebook for the next 5 years. I'm already well into that pot (TT change and new speakers so far). That leaves enough to change the amps plus some left over for a decent phono stage (probably an Arkless GTI Turbo).

@JTC Check out Darko's review below as a starter.

I considered a Freya with 2x Vidars and then when the Aegir was released thought about a Freya with 2x Aegirs. However I'm very happy with my existing amp and there isn't really an area of its performance I am consciously seeking to improve on, so decided not to poke the hornet's nest. I do still wonder how a Freya & 2x Aegirs would stack up against tried & tested Japanese Class A SS or even AB SS in terms of its delivery of resolution and nuance.

The Freya has tremendous functionality, but Darko's demonstration of microphony from tapping on the amp's chassis near the valves does put me off a bit though. I also wonder if the clicking relays when changing volume would annoy me after a while.

With regards to your proposed STA-25 purchase, I've not had the pleasure of hearing a Radford, but based on reputation alone I see it as the surest route to obtaining top-tier performance and agreeable synergy with your Tannoys.

Last edited:
Good video. I wonder whether Freya+ plus STA25 would be a good combination..... over budget though....

Had the freya valve , very very transparent pre ,used it with firebottle monos . Very neutral sound . Prefer my bel canto pre and ice power with the tannoy eatons, warmer more organic presentation. The freya is loved by many , great value for money

The Freya has tremendous functionality, but Darko's demonstration of microphony from tapping on the amp's chassis near the valves does put me off a bit though. I also wonder if the clicking relays when changing volume would annoy me after a while.

I have the original Freya with the same volume control. The clicking isn't loud and isn't an issue. I find it hard to believe it would really bother anyone. In fact, if you aren't by the amp and use the remote, I find it a nice cue that the volume knob is indeed turning.

Quite enjoying the Darko videos. Hadn’t discovered him before...

Been watching Darko on You Tube for a year or two and he rates Schiit equipment. He does pretty thorough reviews of units, has a sense of humour, and often considers alternatives.

Darko's videos shows us what new hi fi equipment is like to use. His taste in music isn't bad.

He's also tuned into digital and streaming, although some on pfm don't think so.

Jack

Last edited:
Sounds like the definition of ‘damned with faint praise’ ;)

Maybe.

I just get tired of qualitative differences being exaggerated, particularly over time. The Vidar is fine - for a $699 USD amp. No, it isn’t better than a Krell/Levinson/Pass/Rowland, or a PS Audio S300, etc.. It reminded me of the Adcom 555, not in terms of how it sounded but in how people over-rated it because it’s affordable.

Yes, small differences are often blown out of all proportion. I'm still almost certain to go with my STA25 plan, but the door remains open for a preamp in the system, even if it has to wait a while.....

advertisement

Back