advertisement

WTF

Paul Jones

On a journey to my audio nirvana!
So some of you may have seen my mishap with my 2M Red Stylus!
Anyway, got the blue upgrade and it really is an upgrade. I’m very very impressed......
Unfortunately, I can only be impressed for 5 days it seems the Gods have decided! :( All of a sudden whilst listening to a LP, the platter slowed down....cos the whole sound went into tenor/bass realms....funny hearing Gaga like that. I’ve powered off etc but no change.....still running slow? Any ideas? it wasn’t too long ago serviced with a new belt (I say not long ago considering it must have been played less than 100 hrs since then, although be it about 8 years ago). I’m fed up with this! Is it time to bid farewell to the Rotel? Can’t be bothered with the faff of very manual TTs (4th July edit.....I’m over myself today so remembered that I do in fact like cueing up and taking arm off etc.....I was just in a funk and really didn’t describe myself very well!! :rolleyes: ) but maybe a Technics might be ok (thought I read they auto return at end of play?) Bearing in mind I now have a new 2M Blue stylus that I would like to use...so would need something with a compatible cartridge..........

Last edited:
whilst it's probably too soon for a decision (your current turntable may be salvageable) if you went down the Technics route they come without a cartridge and the 2M Blue is a great cartridge for this TT (it's what I'm using)

The odds are that it is something reasonably simple, although that is not always the same as "cheap to fix". Somebody will be along to advise who knows the deck.
It is still turning, which is good.

Belt? The one on the LP12 here is over 30 years old and has seen "a few" hours use :)

What deck is it? Check the belt is riding on the correct part of the pulley etc. Its not unknown for belts to fall off!

I told ya Jonesy!!
More seriously...... I'm sure a techy would be a nice upgrade for you, but I dont see what is 'faff' about a manual TT really - you switch them on and they go. Loads of second hand Rega's out there.

I told ya Jonesy!!
More seriously...... I'm sure a techy would be a nice upgrade for you, but I dont see what is 'faff' about a manual TT really - you switch them on and they go. Loads of second hand Rega's out there.
I just read the setup was a bit of a faff....bit I don’t know any different as I’ve only had this one! And this must be same....? Got to queue myself, take stylus off at end of each side etc etc....probably couldn’t get any more manual to be fair! Just like the Idea (lazy?) of the deck lifting and returning the arm at the end of the side!
There’s a Project rpm5 carbon on the wam for what seems a good price...I just like the look of the technics .....but..and a BIG butt......I just want the best sound for my limited ££
Preferably I’d like to work out what’s up with my Rotel? Why did it just slow down? :(:mad:

Preferably I’d like to work out what’s up with my Rotel? Why did it just slow down? :(:mad:

Are the hamsters still running on the little wheel? You do feed them right?

More seriously.... I see its belt drive. Have you taken the platter off for a look? Is the belt intact? Is it gripping well or slipping?

When was the last time you oiled the bearing?

You can download the service manual from the Vinyl engine.

Take the mat off and then take the platter off. Hopefully you're now looking at a rubber belt that goes around a pulley and a platter.

Now start the turntable going. Is it making any strange noises? Is the belt always moving smoothly or does it slip? Take the belt off and gently take hold of the pulley while it's going. Can you feel anything grabbing then releasing? If you stop the motor and then rotate the pulley, does it move freely?

Try rotating the platter, it should go on it's own for a while and then slowly come to a stop. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with the bearing.

If all that's OK then the only thing left is the electronics behind the speed selection switch and whatever the other switch does. If you're OK with a soldering iron then fine but otherwise if you're lucky enough to have a mate who knows about electronics then try that, otherwise it'll need a quick and hopefully cheap repair down at your friendly neighbourhood dealers, if they're open.

When I googled your turntable there were 2 going for £200 each so it's worth trying to fix it.

Take the mat off and then take the platter off. Hopefully you're now looking at a rubber belt that goes around a pulley and a platter.

Now start the turntable going. Is it making any strange noises? Is the belt always moving smoothly or does it slip? Take the belt off and gently take hold of the pulley while it's going. Can you feel anything grabbing then releasing? If you stop the motor and then rotate the pulley, does it move freely?

Try rotating the platter, it should go on it's own for a while and then slowly come to a stop. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with the bearing.

If all that's OK then the only thing left is the electronics behind the speed selection switch and whatever the other switch does. If you're OK with a soldering iron then fine but otherwise if you're lucky enough to have a mate who knows about electronics then try that, otherwise it'll need a quick and hopefully cheap repair down at your friendly neighbourhood dealers, if they're open.

When I googled your turntable there were 2 going for £200 each so it's worth trying to fix it.
Thanks mate....I’ll try all that tomorrow. Yep I think it isn’t too bad...probably just bad luck and timing..now that I’m getting back into vinyl and using it a lot more! Thank goodness for the CDXT Sig ...otherwise I’d be up the creek without the paddle! Wouldn’t mind but the new Russ Andrews headphone cable arrived today and was so looking forward to starting to break it in with lots of vinyl tonight!!!

Cheers Simon
I’m Wirral CH based....not sure where you at?
West Midlands here, 90 miles or so each way... but if you were down this way, I’d happily help you out. I do travel up in your direction a few times a year but in the current climate, I’m not sure when the next time will be.

Even with a Technics You still have to put the stylus on the record and take it off Don’t you? Or have they gone fully automatic these days???

Got to queue myself, take stylus off at end of each side etc etc...

Maybe you need a CD player. You're describing pretty much every turntable on sale today. You're describing vinyl!

Your turntable was a decent budget deck in its day, it was not junk, but things have moved on a bit. If you have the money for it, something like a Rega Planar2 would give you a nice upgrade.

But you'll still have to deal with the whole vinyl record thing..

advertisement

Back