advertisement

Lp12 for Technics 1210 ideas

In the case of the headshell it depends on the cartridge ? The ATMG10 works beautifully with AT carts and many others. Maybe because the fixed headshell slots align much better than the alignment tool.

Mats are in the ear of the beholder IMO. I use a 5mm Achromat and i couldn't honestly say it was a massive improvement on a rubber mat but others will say to the contrary no doubt.

I tried a few carts and shells, settled on an MG10+33PTG. Different make of cart might suit another one like a Jelco or Ortofon headshell I suppose and slots mean more adjustment is possible including azimuth on some.

I also got the Funk Achromat, main reason I decided to try a different mat was static, the funk reduced it a fair bit, can’t say it improved the sound as I bought it after a couple of days of the TT arriving.

What headshell and mat would improve GR ?

Thanks

Anything is better than the stock head shell IMO, ok as a get you going though. I use the oyaide mat more so i could raise the cartridge to the correct height, the stock mm thick, obaide and others around 5mm. Funk is another decent mat. The stock mat is ok just too thin for my liking.

I’m using a Jelco headshell but may get an Audio Technica made for my cartridge OC9XML.

Anything is better than the stock head shell IMO, ok as a get you going though. I use the oyaide mat more so i could raise the cartridge to the correct height, the stock mm thick, obaide and others around 5mm. Funk is another decent mat. The stock mat is ok just too thin for my liking.

I’m using a Jelco headshell but may get an Audio Technica made for my cartridge OC9XML.

I too use the Oyaide mat and Jelco headshell on my SL1200mk2. The mat is great for deadening the platter; I believe it's impregnated with tungsten if my memory serves me. I have a Rega felt mat on top of that.
I use an Ortofon 2M Bronze, and with this mat/mat/headshell combination, I can get the proper VTA without spacers.

I also have an LP12 and also a pair of 1210s

In my opinion the Technics are a better deck that with with a little tweaking or even just the right cartridge will spank the LP12 hard.
I have a tricked up £5k LP12 and when I swap around I’m always surprised at how good a standard 1210 is even with a DJ cart on!
Yes the LP12 pulls off more detail and has a better sound stage but the 15 year old standard 1210 had a pace and drive that the LP12 lacks.
The Linn is finicky and you’re always fiddling with it , wondering if it’s quite right.
the Technics just work. Work well. They ARE a Hifi deck.
Get a Technics 1200GR

Hi, just to update this, I have pulled the plug on a 1210 gr on the richer sounds refurb store for £950 with a full warranty! Now is need to get a cartridge which I will start another thread on unless someone pops up here! Needs to be budget & preferably with head shell due to my nervousness of fitting a cart unless there is a good plug & play DJ cart?....
Still got to sell the lp12 but excited to go through all my classic house through a proper system rather than my bedroom set up!

Hi, just to update this, I have pulled the plug on a 1210 gr on the richer sounds refurb store for £950 with a full warranty! Now is need to get a cartridge which I will start another thread on unless someone pops up here! Needs to be budget & preferably with head shell due to my nervousness of fitting a cart unless there is a good plug & play DJ cart?....
Still got to sell the lp12 but excited to go through all my classic house through a proper system rather than my bedroom set up!

Well done, great purchase, you'll love it
I use an Ortofon 2M Blue, fitting is a doddle
see my thread here https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...een-that-easy-must-be-something-wrong.239635/

Congrats on the GR, you will love it ! If you can stretch to an AT VM540ML with MG10 headshell you will get more from your deck. Its also very easy to fit and forget. Alignment gauge not even needed.

advertisement

Back