advertisement

ATC SCM7 Amplification

Couple of questions for those familiar with Naim.

When I increase the volume I’m noticing a couple of things:

- some hardness/glare in the mids (upper)
- busier sections become a little congested, for want of a better word

We’re only talking 65db peaks here, so nothing absurd. Is this typical of the Naim sound, or more specifically the 5i sound, or is the amp struggling a little with the speakers?

Any thoughts?

I noticed this when auditioning a Naim Atom. Volume control on the Atom is digital and therefore is much more usable ie doesn't peak at 9 o'clock. If I remember it goes from zero to eighty, when auditioning, after 50 the sound hardened up but tbh it wasn't overly loud. I was comparing the Atom to the newer Brio with rega dac-r at the time, the rega amp was much stronger, dynamic, louder etc. So went with the brio and have since changed to the Elex R which is a step up from the brio. Though the brio is excellent IMO and can't think what would beat it at the price. Aware you don't like the Brio-R but i think they are quite different.

Edit: I did not notice this with the Naim Nait 5si which I thought was a very good amplifier.

Couple of questions for those familiar with Naim.

When I increase the volume I’m noticing a couple of things:

- some hardness/glare in the mids (upper)
- busier sections become a little congested, for want of a better word

We’re only talking 65db peaks here, so nothing absurd. Is this typical of the Naim sound, or more specifically the 5i sound, or is the amp struggling a little with the speakers?

Any thoughts?

That’s worrying.
Your only using about 0.01 watts to achieve 65db at 1 meter.
Are you measuring this correctly or are you getting 65db at the back of a hall?

That’s worrying.
Your only using about 0.01 watts to achieve 65db at 1 meter.
Are you measuring this correctly or are you getting 65db at the back of a hall?

I’m sat about 2.5m from the speakers & used a dB meter on my phone, so hardly a faultless/accurate setup, but provides an idea I guess

It feels like I should pick up an amp of some description that majors on power & see whether that offers any improvements? Leema & ATC spring to mind...

I’m determined to make the speakers work as I’m really taken with them.

You could pick up a Quad QSP or 909 for less than £550, a Tisbury passive for around £100. Very smooth and with bags of power. Alternatively and cheap used active pre would give more dynamics without the harsh edge.

I notice ATC themselves recommend 70-100₩ minimum for the 7's

They ought to know!

I’m sat about 2.5m from the speakers & used a dB meter on my phone, so hardly a faultless/accurate setup, but provides an idea I guess

Seriously in that room i doubt you would be using more than 10 watts.
Maybe its just a crap amp?

Is there a more affordable alternative to the ATC SIA2-150?

I guess looking at something that offers a similar approach to what ATC deem appropriate could yield some improvements?

Seriously in that room i doubt you would be using more than 10 watts.
Maybe its just a crap amp?

No idea. I’m aware I’m hardly pushing the amp, but something’s not right, even accounting for the ‘quality’ of some of the music I listen to.

No idea. I’m aware I’m hardly pushing the amp, but something’s not right, even accounting for the ‘quality’ of some of the music I listen to.

i take it the ATC’s are brand new?
They may need running in a bit.
I’ve seen a few posts mentioning 500 hours.
Did the rega have similar issues?

i take it the ATC’s are brand new?
They may need running in a bit.
I’ve seen a few posts mentioning 500 hours.
Did the rega have similar issues?

It is m6 understanding that ATC are not in the ‘running in’ camp, they state that their speakers leave the factory working/running at 100% & they seem to know what they’re doing so I’m inclined to believe them.

The Rega was a lot warmer & didn’t seem to harden up in the same way the 5i is doing, been a few days since I listened to the Rega though

they do change a bit tho with a few hrs... my 11's lost some of the upper bass tubbyness in favour of more depth....

I noticed this when auditioning a Naim Atom.

Aware you don't like the Brio-R but i think they are quite different.

Interesting that you noticed a similar trait, I wonder if the 5si’s additional power helped a little?

I’ve got the Brio back in just now & I don’t dislike it, just a few things about it that don’t work for me, notably a lot of mid-bass (overpowering at times) & a rolled off treble (drums aren’t all that prominent as a result), hence it feeling a little ‘soft’.

Can you elaborate a little on the differences you noticed with the Elex?

Interesting that you noticed a similar trait, I wonder if the 5si’s additional power helped a little?

I’ve got the Brio back in just now & I don’t dislike it, just a few things about it that don’t work for me, notably a lot of mid-bass (overpowering at times) & a rolled off treble (drums aren’t all that prominent as a result), hence it feeling a little ‘soft’.

Can you elaborate a little on the differences you noticed with the Elex?

I didn't have the Brio-R so can't comment exactly on differences.

However the elex definitely isn't soft. It is more forward than the brio and more composed at higher volumes. Excellent timing and very dynamic, good bass and rhythmic. Works very well with my neat speakers. Also I had a friends scm11s one weekend and worked very well with them too.

I suspect if you picked up an elex second hand and didn't like it you wouldn't loose anything. Alternatively if you have the budget maybe borrow one from a dealer and try it yourself, maybe trade your two amps towards the cost.

I am very happy with it and there are many good reviews and users of it who would agree I reckon.

@Romulus thanks for the suggestion. I’ve been in touch with Nord as it happens, so they’re in the consideration pile.

Class D amplification seems to elicit some strong opinions! Lots of power available though.

To the op, how about a new integrated amp under £700 with enough power to control ATC SCM7, SCM11, SCM19 & SCM40 (if you want to upgrade ATC speakers in the future), obviously you will need to do your research, but atleast it may be a interesting diversion... Here is the link

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-int-c-nc252mp-integrated-amplifier-in-black
That's an interesting bit of kit. Looks smart and good price for the features.

Have you heard one before?

advertisement

Back