advertisement

Vinyl & CD fans - which artists do you collect?

tiggers

pfm Member
I like CDs and vinyl and will never be an advocate of streaming/downloads as I'm a luddite in that respect. I am currently reorganising my collection (long story) and realised tonight that I have certain artists that I like to collect. By that I mean I have multiple versions of much of their music on different formats to ensure I have all their output (inc. remixes, single mixes etc.) rather than just having their standard list of albums. For instance I most of Queen's albums on CD or vinyl, but in the case of Peter Gabriel I have vinyls/CDs/compilations/12" singles/CD singles/soundtracks etc. Looking across the collection I have 'collections' of Joy Division/New Order, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Chicane, Depeche Mode, Hooverphonic and.... shoot me now :D.. Pet Shop Boys.

Depeche Mode and Chicane are the two most prolific collections with Joy Division/New Order just behind them.

Anyone else tend top do this or am I mad?

Multiple copies of quite a few albums by many different artists.

In terms of collecting > Kate Bush stuff. Not merchandise, just records. I have a few different pressings of favourites. esp. The Dreaming, Hounds Of Love.

The recent remasters added to it all. :)

Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield (more copies of TB than anyone really need have), Bill Nelson.

For TD and Bill, it's enough to keep up with ordinary releases, never mind special editions.

I have a few hundred Sonic Youth (and related) records and CDs. Their discography is so eclectic and some releases so scarce that there's very little risk of collecting it all...

I don't have many doubles though unless it's a weird version or something. I consider myself an absolute lightweight compared to some collectors. Someone posted an image last week to celebrate 30 years of the LP Goo showing their collection of 100+ different issues!

Lucinda William's, the Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, and Rory Gallagher are my weaknesses.

But even with them I am not a completist - no singles or bootlegs, not cd if I have the vinyl. Also will stream these days rather than buy a cd.

Don't really understand how anyone can own one thing by Arthur Russell, Alice Coltrane or Jon Hassell and not have to own everything they did. John Coltrane too, although I'm not there yet. But still I don't have duplicates unless something I already have on CD comes out on vinyl.

Can't agree with you concerning Alice, I have one it's so bad I wouldn't consider buying another, Huntington ashram Monestery.

Can't agree with you concerning Alice, I have one it's so bad I wouldn't consider buying another, Huntington ashram Monestery.
In fairness that's probably one for the completists. Which you would be if you started again, this time with Ptah or Journey in Satchidinanda!

The only band of which I'm even remotely a completist is Half Man Half Biscuit. Other than that, I'm very much a mix & match bloke. Most bands/artists make three or four great albums, then it's a slow slide through mediocrity to crap to revivalism.

The only band of which I'm even remotely a completist is Half Man Half Biscuit. Other than that, I'm very much a mix & match bloke. Most bands/artists make three or four great albums, then it's a slow slide through mediocrity to crap to revivalism.

I admire people who stick with an artist and can find something to redeem even their worst work. Dylan fans are good here. Why anyone would want to own more than one or two Dylan albums is beyond me, but fair play to those who can get something out of the Christian stuff. Or the recent stuff for that matter.

I have pretty much everything released by Durutti Column (the exception being the 'For Patti' 7" which I have never seen), Joy Division and Spacemen 3. I collect releases on microlabels like Great Pop Supplement (I need 5 things), Deep Distance (complete) and Polytechnic Youth (complete).

I rarely duplicate formats, only exception being the Beatles as I have all their albums on vinyl & the CD Box set.

I have 20+ albums by a number of artists, mainly Jazz; Miles Davis, Ellington, Monk, Mingus.

I have seen "collectors" so I would not consider myself in that vein in any way, shape or form but I do have every Bob Dylan Studio Album, all the Bootleg Series, many of his compilations, I "think" all his live albums (I'd need to just check that one) plus lots of other things like the 36CD box set (1966 live recordings), Mono Vinyl box set, additional bootleg box sets, recently released Japanese Singles etc etc etc.

Some of these cost/are worth a few quid but the sort of things I don't have are the ridiculously priced vinyl Anniversary collections....

I do have multiples of albums as well as vinyl and CD copies of the same thing though.

I also have all of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin's studio output plus boxes, How the West was Won/BBC Sessions/Pulse blah blah but not many duplicates as I do with Dylan :D:D

There are very few artists I’m interested in everything from, the only really big one being Miles Davis where I must have 80-100 albums (he was astonishingly prolific). Some bands are easy as they produced little e.g. Joy Division, Teardrop Explodes, Dalek I etc, and even there I miss a couple of 7” singles as I never really bought them. Album-wise I’ve got a complete set of Kraftwerk, T. Rex (which is unwise as some are weak), most of Bowie (I’m missing some ‘80s stuff), I think they are the only ‘big’ ones. I have quite a few CD box sets, e.g. Roxy Music, Herbie Hancock, Simon & Garfunkel, Springsteen, Beatles, Dylan etc which is cheating a bit as chances are I’d not have bought them all deliberately and I only have isolated albums on vinyl. Some artists, e.g. John Coltrane, I wish were easier to buy. They really need to stick everything he did on Impulse! into a nice box and send me an invoice. They could learn a lot from the custodians of Miles’s back catalogue in how to sell it to me!

advertisement

Back