advertisement

New turntable: upgrade from a SL1200GR

Hear them before you leap, I’m (perhaps alone ? ) one that still wouldn’t swap out the techy for that list ;):D

Unfortunately, no sure I could hear them here in Belgium... some shops get them but believe or not, some won’t even allow you to demo it in their shop... I know it’s crazy. Could drive more and try the Concept at 1h30 driving from me, guess it should even be possible with the Michell but impossible to try the Nott.

Could you explain a bit why you wouldn’t swap out the techy for any of those ? Really curious about it :D

I'm not answering for anyone else, obviously, but I'd say that the Techy gets a lot of things right that may make it better sonically than a lot of others. Now the others are very good, and they do look great. However the 1200 may be the best sounding, you would have to decide for yourself. I've had decks in that might have been not quite as good as others, but they stayed because I liked them and they were definitely good enough.

I suspect that you will have to buy one that you like the look of, used, try it out at home and see how you go. The beauty of buying good second hand is that you don't lose a lot of money when you change. You might even make a modest profit. It enables you to live with an item for 6 months or a year and decide which item is staying without losing your shirt, provided of course you can stand the initial cost.

I'm not answering for anyone else, obviously, but I'd say that the Techy gets a lot of things right that may make it better sonically than a lot of others. Now the others are very good, and they do look great. However the 1200 may be the best sounding, you would have to decide for yourself. I've had decks in that might have been not quite as good as others, but they stayed because I liked them and they were definitely good enough.

I suspect that you will have to buy one that you like the look of, used, try it out at home and see how you go. The beauty of buying good second hand is that you don't lose a lot of money when you change. You might even make a modest profit. It enables you to live with an item for 6 months or a year and decide which item is staying without losing your shirt, provided of course you can stand the initial cost.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Really appreciate! I had to say to having few experiences with TT, can’t say what’s better than my techie but still confirm it’s just a great TT.

I totally agree with you about buying used. A good way to try different flavour without losing money. More I’m thinking about it, more I think I’m going to buy a used TT and keep the Sl1200gr. It will allow me,to try the two at the same time and then decide which way to go. Really think that to do a fair compare you need to try both at the same time with the same gear/music. If the techie is better to my ears, will just buy an Inspire plinth to make it better to fit my living room

of all the decks i’ve had over the years, the Technics is the first deck i’ve been really happy with, maybe the Garrard 401 came as close but the Regas, Gyro, and Linns have all been a bit of a disappointment long term.

I just bought the Audio Technica headshell specifically designed for the 0C9 range of cartridges and what a difference it’s made to the sound, perfect alignment and looks super cool, superb build.

I’d stick the the 1200GR if it were me.

Unfortunately, no sure I could hear them here in Belgium... some shops get them but believe or not, some won’t even allow you to demo it in their shop... I know it’s crazy. Could drive more and try the Concept at 1h30 driving from me, guess it should even be possible with the Michell but impossible to try the Nott.

Could you explain a bit why you wouldn’t swap out the techy for any of those ? Really curious about it :D

I believe the sound of the TT comes from the deck, the drive system being quite important to how they sound, you like the Techy DD sound. For me they're rock solid, music grounded on the bass line. Belt drives just don't do that, the Notts may come closest, I've only heard Hyperspace at friends?

You said in the OP that "I was never excited with that Rega", spending £2k on a new one will get you more information retrieval, but its presentation won't change significantly.
Same with Gyrodeck, beautiful looks, but hearing friends never thought about buying one myself. The Gorbe (gyro with Orb platter) was enjoyable, but the attraction to Michell is those spinning weights?

Assuming your desperate to change, and can't DIY, I'd be looking at heavy decks, thats the Notts, but also look at Acoustic Signature and Acoustic Solid decks.

If you can DIY woodwork, look at a Lenco.

This advice comes from you liking what the 1210 does, the other decks may look better, but in my experience, don't present music in the same way :D

I believe the sound of the TT comes from the deck, the drive system being quite important to how they sound, you like the Techy DD sound. For me they're rock solid, music grounded on the bass line. Belt drives just don't do that, the Notts may come closest, I've only heard Hyperspace at friends?

You said in the OP that "I was never excited with that Rega", spending £2k on a new one will get you more information retrieval, but its presentation won't change significantly.
Same with Gyrodeck, beautiful looks, but hearing friends never thought about buying one myself. The Gorbe (gyro with Orb platter) was enjoyable, but the attraction to Michell is those spinning weights?

Assuming your desperate to change, and can't DIY, I'd be looking at heavy decks, thats the Notts, but also look at Acoustic Signature and Acoustic Solid decks.

If you can DIY woodwork, look at a Lenco.

This advice comes from you liking what the 1210 does, the other decks may look better, but in my experience, don't present music in the same way :D

Thanks a lot! Acoustic signature looks nice! About Lenco, any particular model you would suggest ?

of all the decks i’ve had over the years, the Technics is the first deck i’ve been really happy with, maybe the Garrard 401 came as close but the Regas, Gyro, and Linns have all been a bit of a disappointment long term.

I just bought the Audio Technica headshell specifically designed for the 0C9 range of cartridges and what a difference it’s made to the sound, perfect alignment and looks super cool, superb build.

I’d stick the the 1200GR if it were me.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Garrard was something I was after but price of a 301 is just crazy... 401 looks cool but 301 looks so much better! It was on my maybe list, then saw the selling price of a 301 with tonearm, plinth... crazy expensive

Garrard's are my choice, but I considered your budget.
I'd recommend Lenco and PTP route. A DIY project using the best bits of a Lenco L75/78, platter, bearing, drive system and motor with PTP top plate and DIY plinth. I've made a few and they are very good.

The beauty of buying a Garrard is once your in the club, you won't loose money.

* I'd still err towards my original suggestion of wooden surround for the 1210, maybe a tinted cover so you can't see it when not in use.

Inspire plinth for the techy, I don't think anything this side of sensible money will give you aural satisfaction of a 1210...

Those look interesting. A bit deep for my liking and that detracts from the sleekness of the Technics.
Remember that the hard rubber base of the 1200 is pretty unique and works remarkably well at rejecting feedback - it has to for pro use.

I’ve had a gyrodec for 18 years. After I bought a good cdp it hasn’t really got a look in. And as a former record shop owner vinyl is my favourite medium. I look at it regularly and think how groovy it looks. But the sound? I don’t know. It’s never consistent... sometimes clear and open sometimes thick and turgid. I almost got caught up in the upgrade path. HR psu (£500) , new pylons (£200). Orbe clamp (whatever)
Nah... I’m gonna get a 1200gr and go new(old) school!

I’ve had a gyrodec for 18 years. After I bought a good cdp it hasn’t really got a look in. And as a former record shop owner vinyl is my favourite medium. I look at it regularly and think how groovy it looks. But the sound? I don’t know. It’s never consistent... sometimes clear and open sometimes thick and turgid. I almost got caught up in the upgrade path. HR psu (£500) , new pylons (£200). Orbe clamp (whatever)
Nah... I’m gonna get a 1200gr and go new(old) school!

In my opinion the Michell Gyrodec is one of the most beautiful deck ever made (I still have one).

But regarding the sound, I think that Rega, Linn, Pink Triangle/Funk Firm, Technics, are all superior.

I always found the Michell too slow, with dull bass and muffled treble.
I partnered it (over time) with Rega RB300, Origin Live Silver, SME 309 and now with a Roksan Nima.

Have to say the Gyro never sounded slow to me, although it doesn't have the sense of speed the Regas do it's true. With the Nima it does sound a little blunted, especially in the bass. Sounded very tight and agile to me with a Funk arm, especially with Pete's Pylons (substitutes o-rings for the springs).

Either Gyrodec I owned in the past could not of been accused of ever sounding thick and turgid or having a slow dull bass or muffled treble, I found the best tonearms with the Gyro to be the Technoarm A and an SME IV both with a Lyra Argo.

Garrard's are my choice, but I considered your budget.
I'd recommend Lenco and PTP route. A DIY project using the best bits of a Lenco L75/78, platter, bearing, drive system and motor with PTP top plate and DIY plinth. I've made a few and they are very good.

The beauty of buying a Garrard is once your in the club, you won't loose money.

* I'd still err towards my original suggestion of wooden surround for the 1210, maybe a tinted cover so you can't see it when not in use.

Thanks for the Lenco infos, finding a good Lenco l75/78 locally is quite easy and it should be funny doing a DIY project. Think I’ll try this just for fun this year!

Garrard 301 is really something I’ll get one of these days... is it really important to get one with grease bearings ?

I was wondering if anyone here had opinion or experience with The Technics SL1500c ? Less dj looking and like it a bit in the black version. Unfortunately seems to be far from the quality of the sl1200gr...

advertisement

Back