advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

Good afternoon all, sorry this took a while, it takes ages going through all the trade price lists from all the manufacturers.

Cabinet wise, these normally work out at £281.95 plus VAT for a flat pack pair including damping material, rear panel binding posts (Jantzen gold plated high quality jobbies), Van Damme OFC HiFi speaker cable, all the screws, bolts and threaded inserts you need and some neoprene gasket for the rear baffle. I’m not including glue in the kits cost because some of you are overseas and it’s a prohibited item. I can do that separately though if needed. I can get the price for this down to £240 plus VAT assuming everyone on the list that wanted one goes ahead. For those who want built cabinets I can do that for £100 plus VAT

The drivers and crossovers I am going to withdraw from, actually Falcon have got the drivers down to about 10% markup over the factory pricing so by even if I sold them to you guys for the same price they have them for, I'd be making a loss by the time I fannied around and packaged them up etc. Similarly with the caps, coil and resistors, being low value items there is only pennies in it once I have packed everything up and sent it out. You are best going to HiFi collective for these. I feel I have led you down the garden path a little with this, normally there is at least 25% mark up on drivers so it's doable. I'm not quite sure why Falcon have got such little mark up at the moment but I'd get these while they've got them if I were you.

No worries, thanks for looking into this. I will source independently, might get the drivers now if the prices are so good.

Sounds good to me. I'll hold off on getting the drivers and cross-over parts until the cabinet bits arrive. Let us know when you're ready to proceed, and I'll arrange to send the funds.

Good afternoon all, sorry this took a while, it takes ages going through all the trade price lists from all the manufacturers.

Cabinet wise, these normally work out at £281.95 plus VAT for a flat pack pair including damping material, rear panel binding posts (Jantzen gold plated high quality jobbies), Van Damme OFC HiFi speaker cable, all the screws, bolts and threaded inserts you need and some neoprene gasket for the rear baffle. I’m not including glue in the kits cost because some of you are overseas and it’s a prohibited item. I can do that separately though if needed. I can get the price for this down to £240 plus VAT assuming everyone on the list that wanted one goes ahead. For those who want built cabinets I can do that for £100 plus VAT

The drivers and crossovers I am going to withdraw from, actually Falcon have got the drivers down to about 10% markup over the factory pricing so by even if I sold them to you guys for the same price they have them for, I'd be making a loss by the time I fannied around and packaged them up etc. Similarly with the caps, coil and resistors, being low value items there is only pennies in it once I have packed everything up and sent it out. You are best going to HiFi collective for these. I feel I have led you down the garden path a little with this, normally there is at least 25% mark up on drivers so it's doable. I'm not quite sure why Falcon have got such little mark up at the moment but I'd get these while they've got them if I were you.

Stefan, Thank you for making the effort, fully understand your position.
I did like the PCB's for the crossovers you had listed in your online shop, are these possibly available as a single item to purchase (from anywhere)?

Cabinets and bits sounds good to me too. I'm almost a complete novice so would need the glue too, plus the built and tested crossovers (which seem to have disappeared from your website - are they available?).

Can I check these are the links for the drivers - https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/scanspeak-15w-8530k01-midwoofer-revelator-range.html and https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/morel-cat-378-tweeter.html.

For me this is a go if I can get the crossovers built...

Yes, these are the correct drivers.

The above isn't any cheaper than Falcon once you take VAT into account. It might be worth seeing how many of you are still in even if you are having to sort the drivers and XO parts out seperatly. If you are all still wanting to press ahead depite no discount on those bits then I can probably supply them at Falcon prices. I'll make a small margin and an make sure everything is correct and still do the builds for those of you who wanted to go that way as I would have to obviously buy the parts for those anyhow. Lets see what you all think.

Stefan

The above isn't any cheaper than Falcon once you take VAT into account. It might be worth seeing how many of you are still in even if you are having to sort the drivers and XO parts out seperatly. If you are all still wanting to press ahead depite no discount on those bits then I can probably supply them at Falcon prices. I'll make a small margin and an make sure everything is correct and still do the builds for those of you who wanted to go that way as I would have to obviously buy the parts for those anyhow. Lets see what you all think.

Stefan

Yeah, not much difference, it would be £445 delivered at Audio Hifi as opposed to £464 delivered from Falcon so a £19 saving but Audio Hifi don’t have them in stock until mid August. I am happy to go via you and pay Falcon prices Stefan. I am in no hurry as I have another build currently and the IX will be replacing some Monitor Audio Golds that work fine.

OK it sounds like you are all mostly happy, therefore here are the costs.

£143.80 each plus VAT for the woofers
£45.80 plus VAT each for the Tweeters.

£84.06 plus VAT Close to wall XO to include 2x everything in the list below

2 x 7r5 Jantzen superes resistors
2 x 4r7 Jantzen superres resistors
2 x 1.0mH inductor Jantzen 15AWG P-Core
2 x 0.27mH inductor Jantzen 18AWG Air-Core
2 x 18.0uF capacitor Jantzen cross cap
2 x 3.3uF capacitor Jantzen Z-Superior
2.7uF capacitor Jantzen cross cap
PCBs - these are generic so I'll give you a diagram of how to place components and wire up

Free space version has no components in common with the above and so the components needed for that are as below - again 2x everything below £117.62 plus VAT

Iron Core Coil With Discs 2,000mH
Air Core Coil 0,200mH
Jantzen Cross Cap 12,00µF
Jantzen Cross Cap 2,20µF
Jantzen Superior Z-Cap 2,20µF
Air Core Coil 0,300mH
Superes 7,50Ω 10W
Superes 9,10Ω 10W
PCBs - these are generic so I'll give you a diagram of how to place components and wire up.

For the last resistor, that is the resistor on the input leg of the tweeter highpass, James' schematic suggests 8-10 ohm, I've gone for the central value of 9.1 Ohm, I can however also add in the 8.2 and 10 Ohm for £2.10 each. Also in the absence of info that James has lost about cap 'n coil DCR I've gone for the lowest values where there was a choice.

As I mentioned above, cabinet wise, these normally work out at £281.95 plus VAT for a flat pack pair including damping material, rear panel binding posts (Jantzen gold plated high quality jobbies), Van Damme OFC HiFi speaker cable, all the screws, bolts and threaded inserts you need and some neoprene gasket for the rear baffle. I’m not including glue in the kits cost because some of you are overseas and it’s a prohibited item. I can do that separately though if needed. I can get the price for this down to £240 plus VAT assuming everyone on the list that wanted one goes ahead. For those who want built cabinets I can do that for £100 plus VAT, for those who want built and tested crossovers, I can do that for £100 plus VAT and finally for those who want the a full build, I'll do that for the combined price of cabinets building and the crossovers building - £200 plus VAT.

The kits are easy to put together but I'll do a little video so you can see how they work. They are birch ply, with birch ply backs and black valchromat fronts. They'll need finishing, spraying, veneering etc by you. I've given up offering those services, they just take up to much of my time although I could be persuaded to oil or lacquer finished boxes maybe. The boxes can be put together with a rebate for a grill frame and I can supply grill frames at £40 pair plus VAT for you to attach cloth to. There are no fixings in the front baffles for holding frames though so I would suggest if you want a grill that actually a cut foam piece in the front makes for sense, when I get them made, I go here. - http://www.speakergrills.co.uk/

Finally onto delivery - to the UK, all of the different options would go by UPS and would be no more than £10.49 at current rates, however some of the lighter packages may be less. I'd intend to invoice separately when it is all packed up and just pass on whatever cost I incur.

@James - I have assumed a parcel weight of 10KG for drivers which makes shipping £125 plus VAT - maybe a bit steep?
@Mike Hanson - Shipping to Canada looks like around £85 plus VAT for everything
@MartinC - crossover part shipping looks to be around £35

I think I covered everything there?

Stefan

Sorry guys, I'm out of this one, I knew it wasn't going to be cheap but by the time its finished (I would also need a pair stands) it would be nudging 1K if not more which I just cant justify right now. Thanks to Stefan for your hard work.

Sorry Stefan, I meant confirm at my end! Need to decide if I want grilles and whether I want to risk my neonate-level soldering on the crossovers. Almost certainly the answers will be ‘no’ and ‘no’....

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the update on pricing - assuming you can export without VAT, then good to go. With shipping but less VAT the cost is about the same as ordering here but I would like to give you the business.

Cheers

Martin

advertisement

Back