advertisement

Tips for replacing signal caps

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi all.

I am strongly considering re-routing the heater wire in my amp and to do so will probably be easier if I remove the input stages, which involves de-soldering power and signal wires. So, while I'm in there it would seem daft not to also replace the signal caps (the resistors all seem to measure well within spec) as they're nothing particularly fancy, and Vishay type replacements are fairly affordable.

So I'm looking for tips about replacing the caps. Assume that I know to fully discharge first, and that I have basic soldering skills. I plan to do some practice runs to brush up on those skills, but I am guessing there may be advice that I can follow to make this easier and/or minimise any risks.

One thing I want to do first is get the necessary bits. I've sourced caps, so all I think I really need now is to decide on what kind of solder is best. I have some Draper SW2 which I think is lead-free modern stuff - it's about 15 years old, and the label is largely worn but I will assume that it's new enough to be lead-free, and I believe consensus is to avoid lead-free if longevity and reliability are important (they are). The other type of solder I have is silver solder, in thin stick form. Actually my wife's for stained glass work, so I will assume that it's probably not much use for this purpose. Would I be right in thinking it's quite tricky to get decent lead solder these days, or is it simply a matter of paying more? I don't need a lot - there are 9 axial caps that I plan to replace - but a specific recommendation would be useful.

Second thing is whether axial caps have any particular tips for attaching their ends - twisting, prepping, whatever - that might be useful to know. The input stage is kinda cramped and I'd like to leave as much of it alone as possible, which means working in fairly close proximity to other components. I've attached a pic of what I'm dealing with (x2):

My first thoughts were to de-solder the heater, dc, earth and signal wires so that I can unbolt the entire 'tray', but I may also need to then remove the valve bases as well, which will get complicated. I reckon I could do all the work except recap the top two caps without removing the tray, but to get at those particular caps so might involve de-soldering that four-way connection block, which might be fiddly itself.

On the plus side, I have time and patience. On the down side, middle-aged eyesight and this is something I've not done before. I could pay someone to do this for me, providing the caps etc., but I don't really know anyone locally who could. And I don't want to send the amp away....

So, while I'm in there it would seem daft not to also replace the signal caps (the resistors all seem to measure well within spec) as they're nothing particularly fancy, and Vishay type replacements are fairly affordable.
Going by the photo, the existing caps are film type (probably polyester or polypropylene), so ageing should not be an issue. If you still want to replace them, don't let me stop you.

all I think I really need now is to decide on what kind of solder is best
63/37 tin/lead solder is best. RS, Farnell, etc stock it, so it's not hard to get. You'll want something with rosin flux, 0.8 mm diameter or thereabouts. Lead-free solder is more difficult to work with, and the higher temperature it requires increases the risk of damaging something.

Second thing is whether axial caps have any particular tips for attaching their ends - twisting, prepping, whatever - that might be useful to know.
The important thing is that the pieces are kept still while the solder solidifies. How you manage that doesn't really matter. Crocodile clips can be helpful for holding things in place without burning your fingers.

I could pay someone to do this for me, providing the caps etc., but I don't really know anyone locally who could.
Where are you?

+1 to everything said above.

Blu-tack is another great way of holding parts in place while you solder them, particularly when doing PCB stuff.

Honestly I think you're unlikely to get a significant improvement swapping the caps and I say that as someone who's done this sort of thing way more than I'd like to admit. There's a significant step-up in going from electrolytic to film capacitors but the differences between one make of film cap and another are going to be minor (or imagined).

I believe you're already down on the waiting list for a Radford Revival STA25 and you might find that messing about with the EE devalues it and/or makes it harder to sell. Just a thought.

I'm near Sheffield if that helps.

To clarify, there’s a possibility that the mild hum is related to one of the caps failing. That’s the reason to change them.

JTC, save yourself a lot of pain and get this amp on eBay. Then buy Rob's Phast. Trust me on this

There is no possibility that the hum is a cap failing and you will be completely wasting your time and money in changing the signal caps. Carry on.

...but if you do want to and struggle to get leaded solder then I can send you a few feet if you want.....60/40 or eutectic

OK, I'll take the general consensus that it's not likely to be a failing cap. So just the heater wire arrangement?

I've decided to leave it well alone. Access to the valve tabs is very tricky without de-soldering half the input stage, and I'd worry I might struggle to get it back together again. And, to be fair, the hum is really pretty minor (albeit not so minor it doesn't make me want to chase it away).

advertisement

Back