advertisement

Best raspberry pi streamer usb output?

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
I'm considering putting a raspberry pi based streamer together. It's output could go via USB into my Soncoz dac.
I'm a bit confused because I keep reading that the Pi's usb output is rubbish for audio. So how can it be improved? (the optical and coax inputs on the dac are already taken)
Excuse my ignorance and thanks for your help.

I used the USB out on a pi for couple of years and it was fine. No problems.

I would be interested to hear the explainations as to why it wouldn't be.

I used the USB out on a pi for couple of years and it was fine. No problems.

I would be interested to hear the explainations as to why it wouldn't be.
I'm just going off what I've read and seen on YouTube. John Darko especially said the USB out is 'noisy' and 'not very good'

I tried usb out from a Pi Zero into a Project DAC Box RS and there were audible pops and breakup. It may depend on the DAC implementation as much as the Pi.

For info, mine was a pi 2b into a dacmagic 100 with librelec. Ran faultlessly for two years until I switched to a non usb dac.

I've just fired up my old Pi 3 B+ with Volumio + ROON plugin into the SONCOZ SGD1 via USB.

Playing a FLAC rip no pops or bangs after 5 mins.

Sounds pretty damn good actually.

Happily used USB out to my dac with an adaptor for a coupe of years. That said, I recently upgraded to an Allo Digione and this has been a worthwhile upgrade.

Happily used USB out to my dac with an adaptor for a coupe of years. That said, I recently upgraded to an Allo Digione and this has been a worthwhile upgrade.
That's what I have just upgraded to also Allo USBridge + Digione Sig + Shanti - having both boards in the one case gives flexibility when I shift it to another system, initial impressions are that it sounds really good via USB and CoAx, a step up from the 3B which you'd want based on the price difference

I'm just going off what I've read and seen on YouTube. John Darko especially said the USB out is 'noisy' and 'not very good'
I always think in circumstances like this it’s better to try it for yourself and make up your own mind rather than letting someone else tell you what you will hear. You may agree after trying it - but then you may not! But don’t approach it thinking ‘It’s bound to be rubbish because Charlie Farnsbarn said so.’

I always think in circumstances like this it’s better to try it for yourself and make up your own mind rather than letting someone else tell you what you will hear. You may agree after trying it - but then you may not! But don’t approach it thinking ‘It’s bound to be rubbish because Charlie Farnsbarn said so.’
I'm sure you are right March banks. Just trying to avoid any obvious pitfalls along the way y'know?

Be reassured. I run a RPi 3 with Picore player through a system that is extremely revealing, into ML summits, which take no prisoners. The RPi is not the weakest link.
Excellent. Thanks Jem. As an ex ML owner, I know how ruthless (but lovely) they can be.

advertisement

Back