advertisement

A better quality audio - zoom zoom zoom

garyi

leave blank
LIke a lot of you I am sure I am on zoom calls and teams etc far more. I have the mic built into my camera which is not terrible but when at the office people are struggling to hear me even though I have it on max.

Save getting up close and personal with it, I purchased a marantz USB mic on amazon. It seems to be working as intended but again to get decent volume from it I nearly need to be sucking it.

Can anyone offer advice, was thinking perhaps a little amp and standard mic rather than USB. Windows seems to err on the side of quiet even at max with these USB mics.

The other consideration is sometimes there are two or three in the office, so the mic needs to be shareable and obviously at distance.

Not sure to what extent this helps, but since the audio quality on my laptop is rubbish, and the camera disabled, I use a phone for audio and camera, and the computer screen to see more people at once, shared screens, sharing my screen, etc. The phone goes into speaker mode, or I use earphones. If it's a series of shorter calls, I tend to use AirPods. When it's a longer one (I had 9 hours the other day - my colleagues are all largely back in the office), I plug in some headphones and use the phone's mic. So far, no-one has complained about not being able to hear me, even in a decent size meeting room with 20-odd people.

I bought a PolyCom C100s about 8 years ago for my previous job that required a lot of conf calls from home and they are really good. I was trying to sell it actually when lockdown hit and now am using it every day again so glad I didn't. If you can find one or something similar they are really worth having for home work. Always plenty loud and nobody complains they can't hear me as of yet.

It's this one:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=224031184802

If you want to spend a bit more these jabras look good and are wireless:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...abra+speak.TRS0&_nkw=jabra+speak+510&_sacat=0

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
+1 for Jabras. Work sent me a Sennheiser headset but it was distorting slightly on certain peaks which made understanding people with English as their second language quite difficult. Bought a Jabra headset for about £40 I think and it is wonderful, very clear on vocals, less effort understanding what they've said, although decoding what they mean is another thing entirely :rolleyes:

I bought about 60 of these just before lockdown

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jabra-SPEA...phs002w&qid=1593699991&sr=8-2&tag=googhydr-21

for my the colleagues in my department. I use mine on a daily basis and it has been brilliant. No one complains about not being able to hear users.

I also bought 70 external logitech cameras for them

Not having used one of these I wasn't 100% sure that they could connect wirelessly. Do they need at least one wired connection for the power?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not having used one of these I wasn't 100% sure that they could connect wirelessly. Do they need at least one wired connection for the power?

I use them only on USB. I think they have a rechargeable battery for Bluetooth

Yeah looking at it though i do not need the speaker, which i guess is contributing to the cost. I just want a mic

advertisement

Back