advertisement

PIL

Back on topic, I have to agree with Tony that the first three LPs are really where it is at. Everything else struggles to get anywhere near IMHO. I am far less likely to play the post-Levine and Wobble LPs. The singles compilation 'The Greatest Hits....So Far' kind of confirms this. Side 1 has great singles taken from great LPs, while side 2 is simply great singles from mediocre LPs (with the exception of Flowers of Romance). Sides 3 and 4 have their moments but are not essential. The first 3 LPs and the associated 12" singles would be sufficient for me (and is).

Metal Box is simply a transcendent LP. Only matched/bettered in 1979 by Unknown Pleasures.

Nos. 1 and 3 were easy enough to find in M/M+ at modest price - should be here in a few days.

I collect, obviously, but only for the sake of the music, so splashing out for an odd collectable is not going to happen. Whatever music finds its way here will be very unlikely to be sold, God willing, so it isn't a case of investment.

Thanks all.

<heresy> I’ve never heard an original, but I find the 4 Men With Beards reissue of “Metal Box” to be surprisingly acceptable, even though what little is known about 4MWB suggests it’s unlikely to have been anywhere near a master tape. Thunderous bass and no rust. Not recommending it, but... </heresy>

IMG-0929.jpg

Interesting to see the rusty copies - mine seems pretty ok in comparison.

...and as for the 'it's fiddly to get the records out' thing, I have always just removed the lid and then turned the base upside down just above my lap! The records drop out but there's paper between them and they don't (appear to) suffer.

Mick

This is the correct way although mine always catch the sides & then drop unceremoniously in a mess. Extra points for using a beer can to keep it off the floor.

Just playing Flowers Of Romance for the first time in decades. Such a good album and it sounds bloody amazing through the Lockwoods! I remember having a real WTF moment with this album when I first bought it as it was so unlike anything I’d ever heard at that point. It took many plays to ‘get‘, but wonderful it is for sure.

Just playing Flowers Of Romance for the first time in decades. Such a good album and it sounds bloody amazing...…..

The real reason for having unfeasibly large numbers of LPs/CDs - those REALLY choice, satisfying moments, months and years after the last playing. You really can't beat it, except for sex I suppose :)

I prefer Jah Wobble's work on the whole, e.g. Jah Wobble's Bedroom Album - but enjoy Pil if in the mood.

I have Paris Au Printemps and Album on vinyl and a couple on cd.

Played Flowers Of Romance (7") to my daughter, who had never heard it. She loved it.

The bit were it goes mental takes me back to dancing at Rock City. Louder the better. Felt like you were being hit with tree trunk, over and over. :)

I managed to find cheap enough, decent copies of the original UK pressings of the first three albums ( Second Edition, double LP).

I had not really spent time listening to any PiL previously, so the full albums have been an education. Second Edition, especially side D is quite some album, as is the whole of Flowers of Romance. First Issue I am going to listen through again.... :)

Thanks all.

First Issue I am going to listen through again....

Its patchy, but certainly has moments of genius, especially the guitar work on the track Public Image. Last track side two is obviously filler, but fun in its own way. They really were an amazing band, just a unique sound and approach. Their absolute refusal to do ‘the things that are done in a pop song’ led to some remarkably odd structures and key/chord changes. They threw away anything familiar in a very cool way.

I defy anyone to dispute what you say Tony, for sure very much their own furrow, even judged today. Not to be missed or passed by, as I had until the past two days. Music to be revisited once every few months or so.

Are subsequent albums really not worth the effort?

I defy anyone to dispute what you say Tony, for sure very much their own furrow, even judged today. Not to be missed or passed by, as I had until the past two days. Music to be revisited once every few months or so.

The subsequent LPs all have their moments, particularly around the tracks released as singles. But post-Levine and (particularly IMHO) Wobble the magic was gone.

To be honest I’ve no idea. My memory is a bit hazy, but I think there was a very long gap between Flowers Of Romance and Album or whatever came next, and I’d just moved on to other things by then so didn’t really investigate it. This Is Not A Love Song was pretty good though.

I've seen them several times, never saw the early Wobble/Levine line up but did see them with McGeoch who I rated immensely!
I've seen them twice since reforming the first time was at Manchester Academy and it was about a 2 1/2hr set, being honest an 1 1/2hr would've done me because there's a lot of their stuff I struggle with!
you can probably tell I'm no "Uber fan" and as far as their recorded works go for me they're definitely a singles band

This Is Not A Love Song was pretty good though

A genuine classic, a truly great single. Re-recorded for their fourth album - I'll have a listen to the album version on YouTube - I'd buy an album for a single on it, but not a single!!

advertisement

Back