advertisement

New boots

Not original red wing soles, Vibram morflex. White, beige, brown, black available. I would expect that they would also do lug type soles for non-chukka styles.

The only “red wings approved” place I could find in the UK was Original Cobblers, but even looking at their website, the picture of their refurb of my chukka style looked like an after market sole of some type.

saying that, I doubt RedWings manufacture their own soles except probably the all leather ones.

Spiderous, Lordsummit

did you have a choice of sole types? Was the original style sole an option? Are they Redwing soles or made by someone else?

regards
Kevin

Mine are The same Vibram that are used on the Moc Toes. Don’t think you’d get the Red Wing soles without sending them to Red Wing. I chose the Shoe Healer because I couldn’t find a bad word about them.

Good to see this. I've a pair of the Redwing chukkas shown above & 2 pairs of their Oxfords. It'll be good to keep them running. A choice of sole colours might fix the problem of the cream ones looking filthy all the time!

Good to see this. I've a pair of the Redwing chukkas shown above & 2 pairs of their Oxfords. It'll be good to keep them running. A choice of sole colours might fix the problem of the cream ones looking filthy all the time!

I found you could keep them clean with some detergent and a bit of elbow grease. Has to be done often though.
Quite fancy a pair of their Oxfords, although I’m fancying a pair of Solovair boots/shoes as well...

I’ll see what’s around in September

'Tis time to purchase new boots. My trusty Clark's Desert Boots are well past their best and I have a pair of Timberland boots I wear in winter, but whilst seemingly indestructible, they are much suitable for winter, I chose the wrong colour (black), and I tend to avoid putting them on unless the weather dictates that they'd be ideal.

Having recently cheated redundancy, and feeling secure in the old finances again, I was pondering a few things, and am considering lashing out and buying a pair that will last a good few years, rather than cheaper chain store types that last a couple of years at best before they start to wear badly.

I was thinking of these:

http://www.russellandbromley.co.uk/boots/mr-jack/invt/567715

Then whilst doing some research came across Red Wing Chukka boots, and find I've fallen for these:

http://www.stuartslondon.com/footwear-c67/casual-boots-c71/red-wing-chukka-boot-3141-burgundy-p1565

I can get both in Manchester, and I'm sure a trip there will happen soon enough, but am I missing anything else? I've pretty much decided that chukka boots it is, although I was quite taken by some of the desert boots at Russell and Bromley's. Anybody know anything I should know before I spend and regret it?

I bought the Red Wing boots in your link. I’ve had them for about a week and they’re brilliant. Really comfortable after the first couple of days and they are built like they will last forever.

Ha - I’ve just noticed this is a five year old thread! Looks like they’ll last then.

I keep seeing eBay sellers saying that UK size 8 will fit UK size 9 feet (mainly for Moc Toe boots) but the chukka boots seem to fit as normal. Is this true?

I keep seeing eBay sellers saying that UK size 8 will fit UK size 9 feet (mainly for Moc Toe boots) but the chukka boots seem to fit as normal. Is this true?
I think if you check the Redwings London website, they advise that the Moc Toes fit a half to a full size bigger. My Chukkas are a UK10 (my usual size in most things). My Moc Toes are a UK9.5. If anything the Moc Toes still feel a bit roomy, so a UK9 might have been fine. They felt tight when first new, but they really open up as the leather softens.

Permission to commence Thread Crap, because I don't know who else to turn to ?

My internet was hacked or something and these turned up in the post yesterday:

Dolomite Cinquantaquattro

By a stroke of luck, the same size as the other two pairs of Cinquantaquattros that I already have.

There needs to be a good explanation for this.

There is no good explanation for this.

advertisement

Back