advertisement

Marantz to replace Arcam ?

I would hesitate getting rid of the Arcam. If it’s the same model I’m thinking of it was the most affordable implementation of the Ring DAC, which sounded excellent and was used in much more expensive players. I remember hearing one and thinking I would buy that if I had the money.

I used to have an Arcam CD73. My old Marantz DR700 sounds much better, my Meridian 206 buried it alive. The Arcam was dull as ditchwater to my ears.
I had a similar experience with the CD73. The 192 was much better. At a bigger price!

I would hesitate getting rid of the Arcam. If it’s the same model I’m thinking of it was the most affordable implementation of the Ring DAC, which sounded excellent and was used in much more expensive players. I remember hearing one and thinking I would buy that if I had the money.

The Alpha 9 was a belting CDP in its day, still holds its own now. But, it’s showing its age too and the likes of the later Cd192 is much better and then the Rega Apollo on again...

Still, it’s a great CDP to have in a 2nd system etc

I cannot justify spending my wedge on a cd player I haven't heard.

So I am going to wait till I can demo at Nottm Richer or Sevenoaks hifi.

I am going to start at the marantz 6006 and work up.

interested in hearing the roksan cdp's and rega if I get the chance.

Some good value used Rega stuff I got my Apollo ex demo but tbh it still looked brand new. I got a good deal as they had just changed to the Apollo-R shoe box size case so the full width was out of fashion as didn't match the Brio-R.

Some good value used Rega stuff I got my Apollo ex demo but tbh it still looked brand new. I got a good deal as they had just changed to the Apollo-R shoe box size case so the full width was out of fashion as didn't match the Brio-R.

I thought the older full width Apollo had a really nice sound.
I would happily own one.

I thought the older full width Apollo had a really nice sound.
I would happily own one.

Yes I didn't like it when I took it out if storage and bought a Marantz CD6006ukse but once I changed amps the Apollo blew the Marantz away has a nice solid bass and very non digital if that makes sense only criticism is it won't flatter a poor recording it makes a good one sound amazing but some stuff just sounds flat I find but for the money I think it's pretty good yes.

@Big Tabs , You're welcome to borrow my Rotel RCD-955AX that is in the classifieds if you like, it's not going anywhere and I don't need it and it would be good to hear what someone thinks of it who uses CDs regular, I've only got 3 lol.

@Big Tabs , You're welcome to borrow my Rotel RCD-955AX that is in the classifieds if you like, it's not going anywhere and I don't need it and it would be good to hear what someone thinks of it who uses CDs regular, I've only got 3 lol.

Thanks, I will have a think about it.

It isn't that I play them often, because the sound is lacklustre.

I would like some sparkle though.

Demo booked at Richer Sounds.

Marantz 6006 (UK edition) vs. Roksan K3 CD Di to begin with through a Roksan K3 amp, and some floorstanders (they don't stock my speakers)

I am hoping to at least hear a difference twixt the 2 cdp's...

Suggestions of test tracks welcome.

I intend to take about 3 cd's. Probably take a cd-r as well.

Ha ! the wife used to sing that awful song at me.

Luckily, she has forgotten all about it.

Today I visited my daughter and reclaimed my old cd players from her. (Her stereo has no home at the minute - too complicated to explain)

An Arcam Alpha 7 (which I purchased new, about 1996)
and a Rotel RCD-855 (picked up from a local charity shop a decade (?) ago - £5)

I have just about rigged them both up into the roksan k3 amp. I am going to burn a couple of cd's with the same tracks on and play them both, flicking twixt the two.

A great Sunday so far.

Well, after spending all day listening to the same tunes over and over again, I can confirm that all 3 boxes sound like cd players.

The Rotel 855 is fine for something that is 30 years old. Better than I thought it would sound. A bit reserved. (Much better than the Bose Wave thing)

The Alpha 9 sounds a bit better, a bigger soundstage. More bass. Nicer cymbals. The vocal is more forward than the Rotel.

Looking forward to demo'ing at Richer tomorrow. I may end up staying with the Alpha 9 if nothing grabs me. Also if I am spending money, I need it to be a significant, noticeable improvement.

The Alpha 7 sounded not far off the 9.
I took the cover off and cleaned the lens, it plays cd-r's okay now (it was getting fussy)
This is going back to my favourite daughter.

Out of interest:

I took the advice from (can't remember) someone on pfm and chose tracks that sound poor. Sibilant vocals, flat soundstage, overly bright and muddy cymbals...

My Name Is Prince and Sexy M.F. from Prince - Love Symbol

Modern Love and China Girl from Bowie - Let's Dance

Fast Love and Spinning The Wheel from George Michael - Older

Hit The Lights from Metallica - Kill 'Em All.

And a couple of tunes that sound delicious.

Brubeck - Take Five

Lalo Schifrin - Bullitt (main title)

I am going to take more cd's (Kate Bush plus others) but those 9 tunes are what I am concentrating on.

well before you fork out for a new player explore what can be done to a rotel x55 player the 955 i have just got has been fettled by a fellow fishie and wow its good so good I am definitely keeping it to try with my 72/180.
very clear and huge detail and solid crisp bass real eye opener

well before you fork out for a new player explore what can be done to a rotel x55 player the 955 i have just got has been fettled by a fellow fishie and wow its good so good I am definitely keeping it to try with my 72/180.
very clear and huge detail and solid crisp bass real eye opener

I have a plan now, so I am sticking to it. o_O

I am hoping to take advantage of the Richer Sounds cover plan (5 years I think) on top of the 2 year guarantee.

To add to this, have you thought about sticking with Arcam?

There’s a CD92 on eBay IIRC and that was a superb CDP, only bettered by the cd192

Their current CDP is supposed to be very good also

I remember my 192 quite fondly, though I am having to think back quite a few years, if OP is going to go quite that far back in time surely having his current player repaired would make more sense? A well used 192 or 92, 72 etc might be just about ready for a new laser or transport too!

advertisement

Back