advertisement

What are you going to do whilst in lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a new boiler and radiators fitted this week.
I moved some heavy furniture before the fitters started and put my back out on Monday evening.
I am now shaped like a letter S and trying to Pilates my way back to being able to walk more than a few feet.
No golf for me this week!

Did your back inform you immediately that you have pulled it? My sympathies.

My back 'went' a few years ago at the top of our stairs. I couldn't move. Nobody was in the house with me. I had to slide slowly on my bum down the stairs and wriggle slowly across the floor to reach my phone. Phoned wife, then phoned an ambulance, then had to phone a friend who came over and broke into our house as I couldn't move. Entonox and then opiates eventually sorted it. Never found out what happened, the pain was up there with broken bones. :(

I've never seriously hurt myself in a fall, but one time, not long after we'd moved in, I slipped at the top of the stairs, fell all the way down, then landed with a bump at the bottom, on my bottom. Mrs H popped her head round the dining room door, said 'Oh, it's just you, I thought one of the girls had fallen downstairs', closed the door and carried on watching whatever she'd been watching on TV.

The tinned mushy peas are fine. All the rest are best left tilll there are no options, then throw them away.

Yep. We've got various 'store cupboard items' that we know in our hearts we're never going to eat, but we'll hang on to them till their sell-by date has passed, then drop them into the local food bank*.

*only joking, but last time I was in Sainsbury's, just before lockdown, when you couldn't get dried pasta for love or money, the food bank trolley had a massive big bag of pasta twirls in it. A woman who'd followed me into the store was eyeing it greedily, and my guess is if I hadn't been there, she'd have nicked it.

I've never seriously hurt myself in a fall, but one time, not long after we'd moved in, I slipped at the top of the stairs, fell all the way down, then landed with a bump at the bottom, on my bottom. Mrs H popped her head round the dining room door, said 'Oh, it's just you, I thought one of the girls had fallen downstairs', closed the door and carried on watching whatever she'd been watching on TV.

Thank goodness you were Ok its very easy to become paralysed by this :
Cauda equina syndrome is a condition that can develop when the cauda equina nerves at the base of the spinal cord become compressed. It can lead to the following incredibly unpleasant symptoms:

https://www.glynns.co.uk/cauda-equi...wpCEf9UMyq6AGXRtva-wHR_SMIqICS-UaArMAEALw_wcB

Thank goodness you were Ok its very easy to become paralysed by this :
Cauda equina syndrome is a condition that can develop when the cauda equina nerves at the base of the spinal cord become compressed. It can lead to the following incredibly unpleasant symptoms:

https://www.glynns.co.uk/cauda-equi...wpCEf9UMyq6AGXRtva-wHR_SMIqICS-UaArMAEALw_wcB

It's getting on for thirty years ago, so I should be OK.

Another time, when we still lived in London, I forgot that one of the steps down to the cellar was broken, missed my footing, and fell down the remaining steps. My then three-year-old daughter, who had been watching, said 'Do that again, Daddy!'

Did your back inform you immediately that you have pulled it? My sympathies.

My back 'went' a few years ago at the top of our stairs. I couldn't move. Nobody was in the house with me. I had to slide slowly on my bum down the stairs and wriggle slowly across the floor to reach my phone. Phoned wife, then phoned an ambulance, then had to phone a friend who came over and broke into our house as I couldn't move. Entonox and then opiates eventually sorted it. Never found out what happened, the pain was up there with broken bones. :(
No, it was sore but then went into spasm a few hours afterwards.
It’s the spasm that has continued. I know it’s the body trying to protect itself but it’s exhausting. I don’t have any anti spasm meds so I am using ibuprofen and paracetamol to try to numb it and repeated very gentle exercise, as much as I can stand and hot baths. I had a well documented long uncomfortable fight to get off opiates prescribed for this years ago so I won’t be going near them now. Lying on the floor helps but looks ridiculous, I’ve been like this on and off for 40 years so I know I just have to wait for it to pass.

No, it was sore but then went into spasm a few hours afterwards.
It’s the spasm that has continued. I know it’s the body trying to protect itself but it’s exhausting. I don’t have any anti spasm meds so I am using ibuprofen and paracetamol to try to numb it and repeated very gentle exercise, as much as I can stand and hot baths. I had a well documented long uncomfortable fight to get off opiates prescribed for this years ago so I won’t be going near them now. Lying on the floor helps but looks ridiculous, I’ve been like this on and off for 40 years so I know I just have to wait for it to pass.

A bit of diazepam would be right up your street?
Have you tried alternating heat and cold? (hot water bottle then froz. peas (!))

My (first) Father-in-law used to be flat on the floor for hours. I wouldn't worry about looking ridiculous vs. pain relief.

I have used paracetamol and ibuprofen together, then added alcohol. Not a long term solution, but helped me in extremis.

Have you got a TENS machine?

Sometimes that would help me. Not often though.

A bit of diazepam would be right up your street?
Have you tried alternating heat and cold? (hot water bottle then froz. peas (!))

My (first) Father-in-law used to be flat on the floor for hours. I wouldn't worry about looking ridiculous vs. pain relief.

I have used paracetamol and ibuprofen together, then added alcohol. Not a long term solution, but helped me in extremis.

Have you got a TENS machine?

Sometimes that would help me. Not often though.
I do have a TENS but find it acts as a diversion.
Relieves whilst working but any effect ends as soon as you turn it off and of course you are advised to use it for a limited amount of time.

you are right about the diazepam though.
I was once in agony on the floor with it unable to move crying out with the pain and my Mrs had to ask for a GP visit.
One tablet later and I was on my feet.

Yesterday I saw a rat in the garden.

So I set up my rat trap. Baited with peanut butter.

This morning, the rat is trapped. And now the rat is dead. Wife very grateful.

On other news, I have booked a demo of cd players at Richer Sounds. Plenty of time to dig through my cd's for test tracks. If I can choose 3 that reveal highs, lows and presentation, that will be enough.

On other news, I have booked a demo of cd players at Richer Sounds. Plenty of time to dig through my cd's for test tracks. If I can choose 3 that reveal highs, lows and presentation, that will be enough.
Choose at least one that you love. Do you now love it more, or less on the DUT. Also choose one you bought but never play, because ‘meh‘. Do you find it more, or less ‘meh’ than usual on the DUT.

Choose at least one that you love. Do you now love it more, or less on the DUT. Also choose one you bought but never play, because ‘meh‘. Do you find it more, or less ‘meh’ than usual on the DUT.

What does DUT mean? (pfm should come with a glossary)

out fixing one of those cheap doors that just have cardboard inside and actually did not have to queue in Screwfix ... which is a first recently

Today I shopped at Boyes ( a fantastic little store in our town that stocks a wide range of handy stuff) and got 3 packs of verbatim Cd-r's.
I like to burn the G-kids music to taste. If they like something, I will get the relevant album for them.
Eldest child (10 going on 14) has expressed her interest in Missy Elliott. Part my fault as I have been playing Missy Elliott - WTF 12" and the video is particularly funky.

I have 5 Missy Elliott albums, and try as I might I cannot find many tracks without fruity language. I found 4 tunes that despite having f'ing and jeffing on them are too groovy to pass up. o_O

Also I will give her one of my Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love cd's. She has had The Kick Inside for a year or so, time for more. Also going to slip in a Bowie, Best Of... despite the fact she declared that she doesn't like Bowie (!)

She is still raving about Kraftwerk - Computer World.

In my quest to spend money on a cd player, I pinched the Bose wave radio/cdp thing (what the Wife had in her flat before she moved in here) from the kitchen and rigged that through the K3 amp. It plays anything, in terms of condition or CD-r's. The sound is average at best.

A-Z CDs: Empress Of - Me

This is a great CD really, not liked anything else by her. Been having a pause on the A-Z thing as I'm working in a different room at the moment.

Doing rehearsal for the first wedding since lockdown...it's bad enough normally but only having a limit of 30 people including helpers for an Asian Christian wedding should be pretty challenging !!! The good thing is I get to play stand by me by Ben e king as the bride comes in...priceless !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back