advertisement

Starting from scratch, where to start?

Gavinder007

pfm Member
Hi guys, this is my first starter thread even though it's been something I've been meaning to do for so long, years in fact.
I've decided its time to sell my existing setup and start again. My kit as it stands are Proac 2000 sig on Target stands fed by a Sugden A21a amp with an Mdac/Rpi or laptop as source all tied up with Townshend isolda cables and interconnects. I'm looking for something different, but not sure exactly what it is :confused:.

Last year we moved to a new house and I had the opportunity to borrow a pair of ATC Scm7s from Rick at Musiccraft. They really opened my eyes to sound I was looking for, more natural and dare I say realistic, less coloured and worked well in my room but left me wanting more :D. I didn't get chance to take it any further at the time.

Now I'm also interested in simplifying the box count, not just for me but also to make it family accessible. I'm also in for the John Westlake Dac/pre when it surfaces and hope this might solve a lot of the source simplification, though timescale on this isn't an issue and I'll keep that to its own thread. So the big question is where to start? Ideally I'd like something along the line of the ATC Scm40a's aesthetically and functionally along with a Streamer/Dac/pre, not sure if they would work in my room as the speakers fire across rather than down. I feel I should start speakers first, but do I go with a clean slate or use the mdac as a reference? Sorry for the waffle feeling like a lost noob ;):). Also these times are not going to make demoing easy.

Gav

I’ve just purchased a pair of Magnepan LRSs. If you want different with natural sound etc., then try a pair.I pair my with a Yamaha 8O3D which incorporates a fine amp, tuner,Dac,streamer and phono.Simple and different.
That’s a very simple and very interesting system, I’d quite like to try a pair of the LRS.I’d been led to believe they needed a lot of amplifier and wondered how something like the Linn Majik DSM, or indeed LK100 I already have would cope, if the Yamaha is handling them well, then the Linn amps will too, they’re fairly similar in power/current capability.

To the OP, dare I suggest you hear an integrated solution like the Linn Majik DSM or Naim Uniti Atom, the Linn is particularly user friendly, if your family can use a tablet or smartphone, they can use a Linn DS, I’ve been using them for 11 years now, they’ve really refined the user experience. The Naim uniti looks similarly intuitive although I’ve not lived with one. As for speakers, I quite like Neat’s offerings, Kudos make some superb speakers too but the price of admission is high.

Apart from the Isolda which is IMO overpriced nonsense I really like your system, so I can’t help other than to say take your time and don’t make a change until you’re totally sure. If you listen only to ACDC, fair enough.

That’s a very simple and very interesting system, I’d quite like to try a pair of the LRS.I’d been led to believe they needed a lot of amplifier and wondered how something like the Linn Majik DSM, or indeed LK100 I already have would cope, if the Yamaha is handling them well, then the Linn amps will too, they’re fairly similar in power/current capability.
I read that the 801 handled them well so felt confident that the 803 D would be fine and it is. They should yield more improvement as the amplification increases so may be worth exploring in the future but happy with it now. I’ve adjusted the amp so it inputs 160 watts into 4 ohms and it’s fine. Incredibly quick speakers so dynamics of piano etc well rendered.

I really like the idea of the Naim Atom system partnered with Neat iota Alpha or Explorer and It was something I looked at before listening to the SCM7's last year. Unfortunately I didn't get round to hearing them. I've also had mixed experiences with Naim and chose the Sugden over the 202/200 at the time. The other issue I have is that since moving we now keep the equipment in a fully closed unit which means when using the system I have to have the door open to let the Sugden breath. I don't think this is something I can change as I allowed my wife full control over the furniture arrangements (her first real house to put her mark on). This is why I though active would work or I'd probably look to move up the Sugden/Proac ladder. How hot do the Atom/Linn systems run, would they be ok on a closed unit?

If heat is an issue how about a Devialet D140 or which ever version fits your budget. When used with roon, all the controls of the Devialet can be done via an iPad.
OR how about active speaker? Then theirs no need for system :)

to simplify box count I'd suggest an Auralic Polaris

decent dac with built in phono, amplified and streamer

might be out of budget but seen them go 2nd hand for £1200

ran my big speakers no problem at the time

I wouldn't bank on anything anytime soon from J Westlake btw already been 7 years

I really like the idea of the Naim Atom system partnered with Neat iota Alpha or Explorer and It was something I looked at before listening to the SCM7's last year. Unfortunately I didn't get round to hearing them. I've also had mixed experiences with Naim and chose the Sugden over the 202/200 at the time. The other issue I have is that since moving we now keep the equipment in a fully closed unit which means when using the system I have to have the door open to let the Sugden breath. I don't think this is something I can change as I allowed my wife full control over the furniture arrangements (her first real house to put her mark on). This is why I thoughactive would work as I'd probably look to move up the Sugden/Proac ladder. How hot do the Atom/Linn systems run, would they be ok on a closed unit?
A lot less hot than the Sugden, the Sugden is a class A amplifier!

Active speakers & a DAC seems the obvious path. All comes down to budget but a DAC with balanced outputs paired with active ATCs would be very hard to beat.

I’ll second the Yamaha RN803. I’ve gone from 2 racks of Naim (252/SC/300/CD2) to a single box that can be bought for £600. Hooked up to my LP12 and Neat Motive 2’s, I’m probably listening to more music now than I ever used to. It’s an utter bargain for how it sounds and what it does. I was very close to buying a Linn Majik DSM, I’m not going to bother now.

I'd start with the best speakers you can afford. This will expose the downstream components more, and will be the most influential on the overall sound.

House is a new build detached, room is not treated and still has little furnishings. Its 3.5m x 5m, 2 external and 2 internal all studded :(, but benefits from a solid floor :). There are definitely reflections and ringing from room interference which I know can be sorted by dsp and additional furnishing. I can't have the speakers too far out into the room, max would be 30cm from the wall. This is why I looked at sealed cabinets, my Proacs/Sugden sound a little slow and boomy in our new property.

The most critical interface to get right is the one between room and loudspeakers. Can you tell us a bit more about your room and its acoustic characteristics?

The OP has a descent system already. I agree with James here - finding the best speakers for your ears and room is very important. Perhaps the Proac's just don't do it for you or don't suit the room. The Sugden 21 is a classic design, so there will be strengths you will lose by swapping that. Personally, I like to keep the system separated as much as possible, so would not be keen on an all-in-one box which locks you in. The MDAC is a good DAC, you don't say what the RPI setup is, but perhaps you might want to look at getting a Allo Signature or similar as a better source to feed the MDAC. Firstly, I would focus on the speakers - look for something which will work close to a wall boundary - a sealed enclosure or front ported design might work best. Shahinian Compases come to mind, but you need to check if they will work with the Sugden - they do like a bit of amp power. They are on castors, so can be pushed in and out of position when not in use.

The OP has a descent system already. I agree with James here - finding the best speakers for your ears and room is very important. Perhaps the Proac's just don't do it for you or don't suit the room. The Sugden 21 is a classic design, so there will be strengths you will lose by swapping that. Personally, I like to keep the system separated as much as possible, so would not be keen on an all-in-one box which locks you in. The MDAC is a good DAC, you don't say what the RPI setup is, but perhaps you might want to look at getting a Allo Signature or similar as a better source to feed the MDAC. Firstly, I would focus on the speakers - look for something which will work close to a wall boundary - a sealed enclosure or front ported design might work best. Shahinian Compases come to mind, but you need to check if they will work with the Sugden - they do like a bit of amp power. They are on castors, so can be pushed in and out of position when not in use.
This is a good point. My suggestion of an integrated solution like the Linn or Naim streamers was more to do with finding something easy for the whole family to use than anything else, but the A21 is a nice amplifier and provided your speakers aren’t particularly insensitive, has ample power too. For family family friendliness, a good streamer with a well thought out and stable user interface wouldn’t be a terrible idea, Auralic Aries Mini or Bluesound Node maybe? I certainly wouldn’t be planning any system around the fabled JW DAC until actual deliveries start happening.

advertisement

Back