advertisement

Hong Kong

robs

should know how this works by no
fdDvlWZ.jpg

I love Hong Kong, my wife lived there for many years, and I feel for the residents given what is going on.
But the headlines above (current front page of the BBC) don't sit well together at all...really don't know how to feel about it.

China won’t give toss, the only way to make them sit up is all western economIes banning the import of Chinese goods and that ain’t going to happen.

I doubt China will sit by and allow all the talent to leave.
They’ll probably seize all their assets.

Potentially 3m well educated, highly motivated, entrepreneurial people with an enviable work ethic to help drag the country up off its knees, I think it’s great.

The guy at work who I baited with that opinion went even brighter pink than normal and spluttered something about what about jobs for British people. I said they are, or will be British and I’m sure they’ll create plenty of new jobs. He didn’t agree...:D

Potentially 3m well educated, highly motivated, entrepreneurial people with an enviable work ethic to help drag the country up off its knees, I think it’s great.

The guy at work who I baited with that opinion went even brighter pink than normal and spluttered something about what about jobs for British people. I said they are, or will be British and I’m sure they’ll create plenty of new jobs. He didn’t agree...:D

Based on the few HK folks I've worked with, they'll speak better better English than a lot of the natives. :)

Have Liz Truss and Dom Raaaaab started posting here under pseudonyms ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-19300051
"British workers 'among worst idlers', suggest Tory MPs"

Some pretty sneery elitism on the thread. Besides I cannot imagine China letting 3m of HK's wealthiest and most educated just up and leave. At the very least assets will be frozen and they'll arrive in the UK destitute (which, incidentally, is not an option for long time foreign spouses of UK citizens).

I think what we are seeing is more Tory bluff and bluster. There's no way they'll open the gates to 3million immigrants when their core voter base voted for Brexit to keep foreigners out. It's pure bluff. As Rodrat says the only way to make the Chinese government care is to stop Chinese imports - they could start with Huawei - but since they are wavering on that one it's clear that the Tories will do nothing to really rock the boat with China.

They will probably write better, too.

I doubt it. I've been in and out of HKG since about 1994, 4 maybe 5 times per year, working with colleges, schools, universities and the British Council, and the standard of English has got progressively worse. English IGCSE used to be compulsory. Now only the elite hong kongers have fluent English.

The richest HKers can go anywhere they want. I would guess they would prefer Canada, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia or even the USA to the UK.

The torys will make all the right noises but very little will happen, gutless shower that they are they won't use the only effective lever- trade-and given how hard they find it to let refugee children in I can't see 3 million getting past a Daily Mail/Express headline,they'd be toast. Boris and his mates must miss the days when we got them hooked on opium and destroyed their tea industry.

I doubt it. I've been in and out of HKG since about 1994, 4 maybe 5 times per year, working with colleges, schools, universities and the British Council, and the standard of English has got progressively worse. English IGCSE used to be compulsory. Now only the elite hong kongers have fluent English.
It was a joke on the quoted post.

The torys will make all the right noises but very little will happen, gutless shower that they are they won't use the only effective lever- trade-and given how hard they find it to let refugee children in I can't see 3 million getting past a Daily Mail/Express headline,they'd be toast. Boris and his mates must miss the days when we got them hooked on opium and destroyed their tea industry.
I can't see how flexing muscles against the Chinese is gutless. Maverick maybe, a hollow promise maybe. But it was the right promise.

Roll out the last surviving taxiable Vulcan from the museum!

You can't do anything else besides what Johnson did on ths short term at least.

On the positive side, The Hong Kong Stock Exchange failed to acquire LSE last year, that is good news.

I was in Australia at the time of the handover to China. Given the size of Australia, and knowing that the real strength of Hong Kong was in its people, I thought at the time that what Oz should have done was allocate a slice of Queensland as a new Hong Kong with its own government and invite the Hong Kongers to set up shop there. The enterprise and talent of Hong Kong would have taken off from there and everyone would have benefitted.

Given how the UK reacted when it returned Hong Kong to China when the lease ran out, they really should do all they can now to make up for their flagrant refusal to issue visas to Hong Kong résidents and their steadfastly ignoring the fact much of the UK's wealth at that time came from their colony.

I seem to remember, tunes, that the UK's policy in the time of Cook were not dissimilar to your thinking.

I can't see how flexing muscles against the Chinese is gutless. Maverick maybe, a hollow promise maybe. But it was the right promise.
Thats precisely why it's gutless. BJ will be offering BJ's for a trade deal with them in a few months....From a national security pov what the hell are we doing allowing China anywhere near our power supplies or Digital infrastructure?

advertisement

Back