advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
c168a8b36ed4857cca508b260b28c164.jpg

Love all the close matching wood finishes.
Those monoblocks? are the cleanest looking valve amps I've seen in ages.

My set-up is almost there. I am just an AD Audio Satchmo Line Stage away now. The new turntable is the result of a swap deal with Alex (alcarmichael) - it is a PTP6 Lenco 75 in an Acoustand plinth with an Alfred Bokrand modded Ortofon 10" tonearm and a Denon DL-103D. It's huge and completely quiet except for a short period of slight mechanical noise when the idler wheel engages during start-up. The rest of my kit is in my signature. The Allnic AUT2000 I hope proves to be superfluous due to the DIY Emerald dual mono MM/MC phonostage built for me by Simon. The Michell Argo HR will get a new AN pot and be offered for sale shortly.

fwMrnKmh.jpg

qwq1D4Dh.jpg

The shelf is a converted Lidl cutting board made of Bamboo wood.I bought three of them a few years ago:
B86ZJuHh.jpg

Love all the close matching wood finishes.
Those monoblocks? are the cleanest looking valve amps I've seen in ages.

Yes they’re 300B mono blocks designed by LDA and built by Colin Topps of Reiver Acoustics. He built my speakers for me and I asked if he would finish the amps to match. I’m very pleased with the results.

My set-up is almost there. I am just an AD Audio Satchmo Line Stage away now. The new turntable is the result of a swap deal with Alex (alcarmichael) - it is a PTP6 Lenco 75 in an Acoustand plinth with an Alfred Bokrand modded Ortofon 10" tonearm and a Denon DL-103D. It's huge and completely quiet except for a short period of slight mechanical noise when the idler wheel engages during start-up. The rest of my kit is in my signature. The Allnic AUT2000 I hope proves to be superfluous due to the DIY Emerald dual mono MM/MC phonostage bult for by Simon. The Michell Argo HR will get a new AN pot and be offered for sale shortly.

fwMrnKmh.jpg

qwq1D4Dh.jpg
Damn Peter!! That TT looking good!! Id really like to try an Idler myself.

I am very satisfied that I got hold of such a nice example of the Lenco 75 even if I had to let go of the more dapper SME 10 that you see dance between alcarmichael's mono power amps further upstream in this thread.

I almost bought a Danish-made Moerch idler turntable a few years ago but I am happy that I waited a bit for this. It is very quiet in operation and I am tempted to get a 12" unipivot tonearm as a "back-up". I would probably place it in an external pod rather than drill into the plinth.

I am very satisfied that I got hold of such a nice example of the Lenco 75 even if I had to let go of the more dapper SME 10 that you see dance between alcarmichael's mono power amps further upstream in this thread.

I almost bought a Danish-made Moerch idler turntable a few years ago but I am happy that I waited a bit for this. It is very quiet in operation and I am tempted to get a 12" unipivot tonearm as a "back-up". I would probably place it in an external pod rather than drill into the plinth.

Do the Danish government tax hi-fi at the same punishing level that they tax cars at?

Do the Danish government tax hi-fi at the same punishing level that they tax cars at?
Definitely not. That is partly because we don't manufacture cars but also because the revenue is used to fund our "big society". I pay my Danish taxes with happiness because I know that many people benefit from it.
On Hifi as on all gods VAT is 25%, so higher than in most countries.

Last edited:

From top to bottom :

Naim Supernait 1 used as preamp
Creek T43 tuner
CD5XS CD player
Flatcap
NAP 250.2
Hicap as well but not appearing in picture

Nice system. How did you find the SN1 as an amp and how do you find it as a pre amp? If I was to change my system to Naim, currently all Rega bar speakers, I reckon I would buy a second hand supernait and use as a amp and eventually add power amp and hicap. Do you plan to switch out to a dedicated pre?

TeCX0XW.jpg

66bFCv4.jpg

After the SHD freed the MiniDSP 2x4HD from main system duty it was time to give the Elas in the study a treat as they have been feeling a bit neglected with a rather past it old Rotel amp and a CA DACMagic XS. A Brio was duly acquired so now the MiniDSP is doing USB converter and correction duties, you can just see its little blue light to the left of the NAS and everything is spectacular! The Cat Light further improves my enjoyment by distracting me from the previous owner’s terrible decoration, although it doesn’t exactly show the near pristine MK2 Elas at their best.

Nice system. How did you find the SN1 as an amp and how do you find it as a pre amp? If I was to change my system to Naim, currently all Rega bar speakers, I reckon I would buy a second hand supernait and use as a amp and eventually add power amp and hicap. Do you plan to switch out to a dedicated pre?

I really found the Supernait very good as an integrated. A bit boomy in the bass at first but got rid of this by adding an Hicap.
I also looked at adding a NAP 200 to go bi-amp and to me, both the Supernait and the 200 sounded the same to my ears and there was nothing magical by going bi-amp so forgot about the project.
My Naim dealer wanted me to add a Naim DAC to my kit but the listening tests I did were not convincing.
He then connected a NAP 250.2 and boom ! Even more dynamic than before and bass drum got the full and right impact at last. More costly than the DAC he wanted to sell to me but a much better improvement so waited a bit to collect money and went for it without regrets.
Of course, the next step up would be the dedicated 282 preamp. But, when I took appointment to give it a run at my dealer, he was not convinced himself........
Anyway, I went there and the guy is probably very honest as upfront, he told me again there wouldn’t be a major difference by replacing the Supernait by a 282 knowing there is an Hicap in the picture. He also offered me to bring the 282 for a weekend at home if I would like.
So connected the 282/Hicap/250.2 to compare against the Supernait used as a preamp and quite honestly, I did not notice a major improvement. I may need to specify I listened only to my styles of music which are rock, jazz-rock, jazz and blues.
Considering the selling price of the 282, we both agreed it was not worth it for me.
He lost a sale on the short term but got my confidence for the rest of my life !
According to what I quickly listened in another session, my next step up would be the NAP 500 and the other black boxes that go with it as the NAP 300 was really not day and night when compared to the 250.
This isn’t gonna happen as this is too much money for an non divorced husband like me !
I just buy more CD now and very happy !

@linnfomaniac83 Spied a Quintet there on your Rega - Black? Spacers necessary?
Blue, yes spacers necessary. Ortofon suggest 3.2-4mm, I went with 3mm because I have the origin live platter mat which is thinner than the Rega felt mat, it’s about spot on and sounds great. I’ll probably stick a black on there next!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back