advertisement

Music Books

Hello Woodface, I watched the highly informative PBS series and then bought the 5 cd boxset which has the usual sort of printed narrative but I cannot recall seeing an accompanying book. An Amazon search did not show any KB Jazz books so am wondering what it is you are referring to - I imagine it would be as you suggest an excellent tome.

Just found it, did not realise it was by several co-authors

Hello Woodface, I watched the highly informative PBS series and then bought the 5 cd boxset which has the usual sort of printed narrative but I cannot recall seeing an accompanying book. An Amazon search did not show any KB Jazz books so am wondering what it is you are referring to - I imagine it would be as you suggest an excellent tome.
Here you go:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0679765395/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Not cheap but worth it IMHO

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Couple of new books this weekend one is a pistols clippings picture book, invaluable stuff:

y88fgxvz
y7ye287p
y8z9hrc5

y9jluv7b

Got the The Clash London Calling Scrapbook. Lots of pictures & cuttings & even a CD of the LP that will live out its days in the car. I started researching the roots of my music in pictures & sound rather than commentary, which can be an unreliable witness. A beautiful, helpful book.

ybr2v2nx
yckcpf48

Fabulous Creation by David Hepworth is very good, he writes very well about the ‘condition’ of being a music obsessive.

Some may find him a little too opinionated but I do relate to a lot of what he says.

Kraftwerk: Future Music from Germany by Uwe Schuette

The coverage of Kraftwerk's golden age (up to the early 80s) is good, and the author has some interesting insights into what Kraftwerk were trying to achieve. But when he moves on to the more recent, less inspired years, I felt that the author had drunk too much Duesseldorf Kool Aid. He seems to me too happy to treat Ralf Huetter's remixing and re-recording of the band's back catalogue as a creative endeavour.

I'd say it's on a par with Pascal Bussy's book, but has the benefit of being more up-to-date. It is much better than David Buckley's Publikation.

For those with even slight jazz leanings, this one is a wonderful read...

Meet Me at Jim and Andy's - Gene Lees

"Jim and Andy's, on 48th Street just west of Sixth Avenue, was one of four New York musicians' haunts in the 1960s - the others being ... 'For almost every musician I knew' Lees writes 'it was a home-away-from-home, restaurant, watering hole, telephone answering service, informal savings (and loan) bank, and storage place for musical instruments'"

One bonus about being in bed a lot is reading: correcting & plugging holes in my knowledge. Some recent orders:
EgLKEV-WAAAV0bZ

Last edited:
Two new reads today: McGartland’s “Buzzcocks: The Complete History” is a light yet thorough read while Nick Crossley’s “Networks of sound style & subversion” is a brilliant & scholarly data-driven, interaction-map based sociology on the interconnections and origins of punk.

y2jnjjty

Ryan’s “Friends of Mine: Punk in Manchester 1976-78” is a fast-paced, anecdotal yet surprisingly detailed read. Info is anecdotal and needs checking against verifiable sources for later inclusion in academic writing but with an excellent “gig-ography” at the back it rams home how fast development of the scene was at the time. Sadly cannot use in a literature review as it’s all anecdotal without citation but it’s still useful.

yykecrnf
y3dhxnf9

Last edited:
Finally got round to flicking through The Art of Punk by Bestley & Ogg. I never tire of these artefact books. (My phone broke after a fall so I’m using stock images which are better than I could take anyway).

THE_ART_OF_PUNK1.jpg

THE_ART_OF_PUNK3.jpg

THE_ART_OF_PUNK6.jpg

THE_ART_OF_PUNK5.jpg

These two are my favorites.
First one Nirvana: The Stories Behind Every Song by Chuck Crisafulli. Everything is great about this book, the content, photos and especially emotions that you get reading it.
The second book is Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis, Larry Sloman. It is difficult to read it, but anyway it is powerful.

P. S. I would add here my photos of these books, but for some reasons the forum doesn't let me do it.

Two new reads today: McGartland’s “Buzzcocks: The Complete History” is a light yet thorough read while Nick Crossley’s “Networks of sound style & subversion” is a brilliant & scholarly data-driven, interaction-map based sociology on the interconnections and origins of punk.

y2jnjjty

I get a brief mention in the Buzzcocks’ book - October 20th 1973. As well as taking the photos I made the recording that’s mentioned in the last sentence.

50460289643_95801889e2_z.jpg

A discussion regarding the proverb ‘by night all cats are grey’ on a different thread reminded me of Kew. Rhone. which in turn reminded me that I never got round to buying the book-of-the-album which came out some years ago.

Fortunately I discovered that the publishers (Uniform Books) are still selling new copies via Amazon Marketplace, so didn’t have to resort to a second-hand one at twice the price.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back