advertisement

Decent MM stages that work really well with SUTS?

I was using a EAR834p stage mc & mm with a dvx20low output via the mc stage on Rega 25 rb600 for a quiet a while reasonably satisfied with the sound,until i read a thread regarding step up transformers phonostages and cartridges,recommending using a Partridge sut with my set up but was told to use the mm stage on the EAR834p which is superior to the mc stage,the difference was huge.Still using this set up many years on.

Thanks. EAR 834p is a well-tried and tested phono stage. Good to know that the MM part of it is really good. I would have thought so.

Well. I am after the reason why my left channel in the vinyl chain is dead. I have now come as far as isolating the problem to the Emerald phono stage, after all. Is it half the psu or half the phono stage that doesn't work? I will have to make absolutely sure before I open up the phono stage boxes.

I'd quite like an Ortofon T-20 or T-30, but the asking prices have gone a bit silly.

Is £180 silly for an Ortofon T-20?

Oh, and I found the reason why I had a dead channel: I had switched the input - output cables. :oops:

£180 seems reasonable for a T-20. I think T-30 cost considerably more. Mind you, I've only been looking on Flea Bay, and we know how massively inflated some of those prices are.

Are you all up and running now Peter?

Maybe not the answer you’re looking for but I also think a stand-alone MC stage is the best option.

I did have some very nice sounds with my Croft 25R pre amp running a variety of SUT’s (best was Tribute) and Head Amps (best and the one I chose to stick with for a long time was made by Arkless).

I am up and almost running. If I hadn't decided not to read Simon's notes about how to connect the in-out cables to the phono stage, I would have been flying by now. The tt is so quiet in operation. I will fit a more refined on/off switch and a better power cable - otherwise it is a beautiful humungous thing.

Yes. Both channels up and working now that I connected everything cortectly. RTFM!

Last edited:
James. If you want one, I know who is selling. In fact, I know where to find two T20s. The T30 is another story, twice that usually. The T20 I had here brought back good memories.

I am up and almost running. If I hadn't decided not to read Simon's notes about how to connect the in-out cables to the phono stage, I would have been flying by now. The tt is so quiet in operation. I will fit a more refined on/off switch and a better power cable - otherwise it is a beautiful humungous thing.

Yes. Both channels up and working now that I connected everything cortectly. RTFM!

Be careful with the power cable; apparently if the cable is too stiff or heavy it can affect the motor operation, hence I left as is. It is a very quiet example - not all are as quiet! I do agree it is deserving of a more suitable on/off switch.

Enjoy!

James. If you want one, I know who is selling. In fact, I know where to find two T20s. The T30 is another story, twice that usually. The T20 I had here brought back good memories.
Thanks, I think I'd prefer a T-30 for its switchable load. Do you know someone with a mint T-30 to sell?

Unfortunately not, James. They are likely to cost twice as much as a T20.

I will take heed with regard to the power cord. I may still look for a light and flexible alternative, however. The on/off-switch works a treat so no need to do anything right now but I will consider my options.

The two reasons why some people decide to use only the MM stage part of an MC capable phono stage is that ...
(1) they use MM only (doh!)
(2) they like their chosen MC Headamps or MC SUTs better than the MC part of their phono stage.

The unstated reason for starting the thread was that I was curious as to how easy it is to make good-sounding MM stage. How cheaply can it be done without compromising the sound coming from the cart? Again there are no simple answers. It's implementation, selection of components, system matching, SUT or Headamp and the end user's preferences. And I haven't even mentioned cables = Don't mention the War.

I'm rather good at stating the obvious. :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back