advertisement

Speakers on laminate flooring

I think you now have it. There are essentially 2 approaches, to nail something rigidly to something solid and massive, or to absorb the energy via something soft. The first relies on mass to absorb energy, the second relies on absorbing it by moving something compliant.

Understood. The one thing that I don’t get regarding speaker ‘decoupling’ is the fact that the cabinet is allowed to move around a little... surely this has an impact on focus? (Because the tweeter isn’t locked in position as well as coupling? Might the imaging suffer?)

floors are suspended chipboard pretty bouncy I miss real floorboards tongue and groove! The laminate is bouncy on top of the flooring.
Tannoy DC6T can pump out a good chunk of bass at times the initial problem was boom from the rear wall this had been cured mostly by moving away from the wall or toeing in.
Generally they sound fine but certain recordings push the bass that touch deeper and the bloated boom and vibration starts checking it it seems the cabinets are vibrating.
When i took the spikes out and fitted the isolating gel pads or feet whatever they are Atacama make anyways things were a lot better.
I am thinking on changing the Tannoys and want to sort this issue before I try something more suited to the 72/180 as that the plan to get them up and running.
As i have limited space to back wall but plenty free space either side the Rega speakers with side mounted bass drivers looked interesting or something front ported,
The Neat speakers with downward firing drivers looked very nice and a way to avoid the backwall issue. A little out my very tight budget tho and concerned the flooring would play havoc with that arrangement.
After taking some advice been suggested the olive stuff would be nice with Nain Credos as they would avoid the back wall issue but again would highlight the floor issue.

so if slabs straight onto the floor and spikes straight onto it or in cups?

my thinking was a nice hefty wooden block with spikes bedded into the wood?

or slabs or wood with the gel pads?

Back when I had this problem I got some composite marble pavers, heavier relative to their size and more attractive. After some experimentation with various other things I settled on some substantial felt floor protectors underneath and blutac attaching the speakers!

The purists won’t approve, but I use speaker trolleys on my wooden floor.
You would think that they’d affect the bass end on my BC1s, but there’s no problem.

There is no other way really, as the Spendors have to be pulled out into the room when
being used.

Understood. The one thing that I don’t get regarding speaker ‘decoupling’ is the fact that the cabinet is allowed to move around a little... surely this has an impact on focus? (Because the tweeter isn’t locked in position as well as coupling? Might the imaging suffer?)
I don't think those movements are significant compared to everything else that's going on.

I've been wondering about this - I recently removed a slate fireplace, slate must be a good inch thick - the whole piece is really heavy.

I'm thinking of getting them cut, probably a cm wider than my speaker footprint...

If I place my speakers on top of these (spike in their 'shoe') would that make a difference?

Floor is laminate, on top of floorboards....

Thanks mate, I've just bought them in (I've two pieces, 6x2 and 4x2) to try out - there's definitely an improvement.

I've just asked the missus to come down for a blind test, she will do shortly - I'll report back...

Pull up the laminate floor, then in the positions under where the speakers will be, glue down the laminate. Then use spikes etc etc depending whether your floor is concrete or suspended wooden.
This all assumes that the laminate has been properly laid in the first place.
Better still, get rid of the laminate - I hate the stuff - however careful you've been, in my experience it always ends up warping and creaking.

Regarding slabs, you really don't need to put up with ugly concrete slabs, there's lots of granite, porcelain, marble, not to mention various stones and slate available. Take a look at local paving suppliers and monumental Masons etc.

Regarding slabs, you really don't need to put up with ugly concrete slabs, there's lots of granite, porcelain, marble, not to mention various stones and slate available. Take a look at local paving suppliers and monumental Masons etc.
I think the composite marble ones I had were from B&Q. They might even still be in one of my parent's outbuildings if Dad hasn't thrown them out, if I can find them and you're anywhere near York-Hull area you're welcome to 'em OP, or anyone else for that matter.

Yes taking the flooring up is not an option the suspended flooring is as big if not bigger issue having a solid base I think will make a difference and relatively easy to try.
Yes a nice bit of stone was my choice or a hefty chunk of oak

I'm all go here, tried it out and it's good.

Just called a stonemason guy near me, he'll cut two pieces for me for £25.

Quick question, would you cut to speaker footprint or maybe a cm or so larger?

I'm all go here, tried it out and it's good.

Just called a stonemason guy near me, he'll cut two pieces for me for £25.

Quick question, would you cut to speaker footprint or maybe a cm or so larger?
If I was having something made bespoke I would have it cut to be stable on three feet like the old Rega Elas etc were. I'd also have it drilled so I could bolt the speaker to it using the threads for the spikes! I.e. make it as stable and topple proof as possible!

Thanks @djftw - going to use this as an experiment. The piece I have only needs to be cut in half, so I reckon I can get that done for a tenner - I'll live with it and then look at utilising the larger piece.

Please don’t glue the laminate down.
Its a floating floor and needs to be able to expand/shrink. Hence why you leave a gap around it.
Failing to do this will lead to warping/popping at the joints etc.
Most laminate floors fail due to poor installation.
Cheap thin laminate floors are also utterly useless after a couple of years.
You shouldn’t really have extremely heavy things on it either.
Carpet time?

advertisement

Back