advertisement

New turntable: upgrade from a SL1200GR

casterbro

pfm Member
hi,

I’ve been vinyl addict for a while and over the last 25 years I had some TT. My first serious one was a Technics SL1200 MKii that I bought new in the 90’. I use it only to play LP’s at home. Really dig it a lot. Then saw a wonderful TT in a shop... it was the exact opposite of the Technics, nice and light design, glass platter and a fantastic green finish. I had to buy it. Sell my SL1200 MKii and bought the Rega Planar 3 - don.t know the exact version but bought it by the end of the 90’ if I remember well.
The Rega was outstanding but never really dig with it. Removing the platter to get the 45rpm was so bad (knew it before buying it but at use, it was killing me...). I was never excited with that Rega... so put my LP’s and the TT in the attic for some years. Then back to vinyl! Sold the Rega for a very good price and bought a used SL1200 MKii. It was 8 years ago and enjoy it a bit but a lot less than I thought... the bought the SL1200GR. Still have it and tried several cartridges with it. Quite happy with the sound and finish is a way better than on the MKii.
Story could ends here but no... my Technics is nice, plays well but I just can’t see it in my living room... same for my wife. Looks too much dj’s and just too big. I like it caus’ it sounds good and so easy to use, setting up but I just can’t see it anymore.

So would appreciate some helps to chose my next TT... some more infos about my need:
- Listening mostly to 50/60’ pop rock, 90’ indie, some folks and ambient/peaceful electronic music
- should be easy to use and don’t want something that needs isolation platform to perform well (could use one but rather avoid it)
- something easy to set up

Guess it’s a bit unusual but I want something nice, easy to use and to have fun with my music !

I was thinking of:
- Clearaudio Concept
- Rega p3 or 6

Any recommendations would be great, thanks a lot!

New arm for the SL Funk or other
88596kk_m.jpg

Thanks! That’s the problem... I know the sl1200gr is just everything I need but just can’t see it anymore (a very non audiophile assertion... just life).
Never heard of the Inspire plinth before but it looks really nice and give the sl1200 a more traditional design, something I could like. Will dig a bit further in that but really an option, thanks so much!

Thanks! That’s the problem... I know the sl1200gr is just everything I need but just can’t see it anymore (a very non audiophile assertion... just life).
Never heard of the Inspire plinth before but it looks really nice and give the sl1200 a more traditional design, something I could like. Will dig a bit further in that but really an option, thanks so much!

If you really like your TT you could go for the Inspire plinth ( they've quite a few other 'upgrades' ) or the
https://audiogold.co.uk/product/audio-gold-turntable-isolation-plinth/
These will definetly change the appearance of your Technics but they won't make it any smaller, fwiw I think the wooden surrounds / plinths look great.

If you really like your TT you could go for the Inspire plinth ( they've quite a few other 'upgrades' ) or the
https://audiogold.co.uk/product/audio-gold-turntable-isolation-plinth/
These will definetly change the appearance of your Technics but they won't make it any smaller, fwiw I think the wooden surrounds / plinths look great.

Thanks! The inspire looks damn good... need to think about it but for’the first time I’m thinking that I could live with my sl1200... a real aesthetic improvement!

Notts analogue TT are on my short list as well, really curious about them but impossible to see them here in Belgium...

Sme 10 might fit the bill. Or a notts analogue
One thing about the SME 10 it has a small foot print built like a Rolls Royce play and forget turntable. Sonically better than Technics, a P6 or the clearaudio concept.

A few years back I recommended a Audio Technica AT LP5 direct drive turntable to a good (non audio geek) friend. Was well reviewed at the time and solidly put together. He was v happy with it.

Take a look online. It’s doesn’t suffer from the same blingy look as the Technics models. I think it’s also cheaper than it was - probably doesn’t have the brand name of a Rega, project or Technics.

Of course it’s a lot cheaper than the Technics so you might well go backwards in SQ - offsetting that I believe there are versions available with a Rega tonearm for a bit more cash.

Just a thought.

One thing about the SME 10 it has a small foot print built like a Rolls Royce play and forget turntable. Sonically better than Technics, a P6 or the clearaudio concept.

Just had a look of the SME 10. That would be the perfect TT for me but unfortunately too pricey... would like to stay in the 2K range (a bit less or a bit more but over 3k is just too much for now)

A few years back I recommended a Audio Technica AT LP5 direct drive turntable to a good (non audio geek) friend. Was well reviewed at the time and solidly put together. He was v happy with it.

Take a look online. It’s doesn’t suffer from the same blingy look as the Technics models. I think it’s also cheaper than it was - probably doesn’t have the brand name of a Rega, project or Technics.

Of course it’s a lot cheaper than the Technics so you might well go backwards in SQ - offsetting that I believe there are versions available with a Rega tonearm for a bit more cash.

Just a thought.

Will have a look after dinner, thx!

Technics is nice, plays well but I just can’t see it in my living room... same for my wife. Looks too much dj’s and just too big.
I'm sure that your wife looks just fine in the living room. I'm sure that she's not too big either, even if she does look like a DJ.

Now on to your record player. I can see why you don't want a 1200 in your lounge. I can also imagine why you didn't like the Rega 3. I have had one, I like it but it is very neutral to the point of sounding rather grey. If you want one that looks good and sounds nice too, a Michell Gyrodec is a lovely thing.

I have a Concept, and I love it to bits. I Would say that if your budget is 2k ish the concept MM v2 cartridge is pretty good, but even going to the next one up (performer v2) really did make a difference. £300 here, got it for 200 trading in my old concept MM v2, not sure how it would work getting it new as a potential package? But still under 2k, I don't think you can go wrong.
My close mate has an old Rega Planar 3 with the full inspire package upgrades and it is also good, I prefer mine but to be fair a mixture of different systems and bias could easily account for that.
The concept once set up (and should be either correct, or within tuning by ear reach from factory) just plays music for me.
If you have any questions about it or pairing kit feel free to ask/pm me.

advertisement

Back