advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I hate to say it but FWIW my view is you guys need to get hold of a good lawyer.
I can see that viewpoint, but personally I think it would be good money after bad, and I daresay we'd struggle to argue our case given the lack of proper contracts etc. Best, perhaps, to chalk it up to experience and move on.

"A small group of naysayers...".

"...a vocal minority pretends to speak for everyone".

"Rumors / (mis?) interpretations become truths and one fairy tale builds on the next".

It's about time you stopped kidding yourself and trying to convince anyone that this anything other than a car crash. The 'vocal minority' have every right to criticise and demand action. Just because people aren't speaking up doesn't mean that they don't agree with the 'naysayers'. Perhaps some don't want to at risk of being ignored by John. Many have just completely given up. There's actually a small group of fanboys that won't tolerate any criticism of John.

Unbelievably you're actually blaming the contributors for creating rumours and fairytales!

The only fairytales around here are the ones that John Westlake has created!

If zero money comes back, John walks away with a tarnished reputation? That's it?

I am not vengeful but if a person takes my and other people's money with a promise to develop, build and deliver kit, and in the end doesn't offer compensation or kit, I will solicit legal advice in the Czech Republic.

EDIT: Just read StephenB's post above. Encouraging if John is working on a tangible solution. Kudos indeed to the people involved!

I think we’ve scared him from PFM, Facebook was updated earlier this morning, and I posted a like, so maybe time to put our thoughts and feelings on hold temporarily if there is indeed some light at end of this very long tunnel

but jeez he does make it hard with limited responses in here

He should be posting here, it was started here, not everyone has access to the FB page.

Will you share and cross-post what said on FB?

Posted 2 hrs ago

Weekly update...
Worked though the main points of a working agreement - all good, this week I'll spend a couple of days with the engineering team to put a working plan forward.
Otherwise, I've been working on the advanced clock development / software. I've also a workable solution for the MDAC2 front panel / UI, and ordered the LCD panels from China & system MCU's etc.
WRT to the MDAC2 (DevDAC) UI, there will basically be Non - at least in the beginning, just simple text / basic line art.
I'll write the librarys to handle the hardware control - this will allow others with C++ experience to improve the UI without having to understand the hardware (the low level hardware control is "Fire-walled" by the libraries - so a programmer will just call functions and pass data). I already have a keen PFM member with time on his hands itching to get into the code... no expectations, but a possible path
1f642.png
- I posted out hardware earlier this week to allow him to start exploring the software / hardware environments...

in the absence of Lakewest confirmation............

My interpretation is the new party will be taking charge of manufacturing casework and possibly pcb’s , distribution etc, leaving John and pfm member to maintain core architecture and functionality as intimated

I think we’ve scared him from PFM, Facebook was updated earlier this morning, and I posted a like, so maybe time to put our thoughts and feelings on hold temporarily if there is indeed some light at end of this very long tunnel

Sure, what would be the appropriate period to leave before gently inquiring as to what if any actual progress has been made. Would the “working plan” have been issued by the end of next week?

regardless of who is to blame, this is most definately a hostile environment

I think the "scared kitty" approach may be the only way forward if you want updates or progress

he is now in the perfect position and has been for arguably quite some time to throw his hands in the air saying the money is spent and he has had a mental breakdown

for the record I would dearly love to get my Vfets or my money back, his actions have created and sustained a very bizarre culture in here, making it hard for individuals to work out the best way to handle the potential losses and terrible delays

I constantly find myself fluctuating between sheer hatred of the man and "hoping" as a human being he will prove me wrong and do something approaching the right thing for us all

You are correct I'm sure. JW has said on quite a few occasions that he finds the harsh and often personal criticism he receives on here very upsetting and demotivating. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with half decent management skills. So in case anyone still doesn't get it, let me spell it out; venting your frustration or annoyance on here is counter-productive. It is not going to do anything to speed up the delivery of the products we are all keenly waiting for - if anything it will have the opposite effect and will certainly discourage JW from posting on here more frequently. So please lets all try and be a bit more constructive. JW has his weaknesses, just as we all do, but I am telling you with complete conviction that he is an honourable man who trying very hard to deliver what he promised. He is now faced with signing away his IP in order to do that and I have no doubt that is an extremely bitter pill to swallow.

@JohnW : John, I'm hoping people will take on board my comments above and I would encourage you to reward such behaviour with more frequent updates on here as an act of good faith on your part.

You are correct I'm sure. JW has said on quite a few occasions that he finds the harsh and often personal criticism he receives on here very upsetting and demotivating. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with half decent management skills. So in case anyone still doesn't get it, let me spell it out; venting your frustration or annoyance on here is counter-productive. It is not going to do anything to speed up the delivery of the products we are all keenly waiting for - if anything it will have the opposite effect and will certainly discourage JW from posting on here more frequently. So please lets all try and be a bit more constructive. JW has his weaknesses, just as we all do, but I am telling you with complete conviction that he is an honourable man who trying very hard to deliver what he promised. He is now faced with signing away his IP in order to do that and I have no doubt that is an extremely bitter pill to swallow.

@JohnW : John, I'm hoping people will take on board my comments above and I would encourage you to reward such behaviour with more frequent updates on here as an act of good faith on your part.

Contrary to what John actually said himself:

"I tend to work best under a little pressure".

Post 369 by JohnW
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mdac-first-listen-part-00100001.160432/page-19

Contrary to what John actually said himself:

"I tend to work best under a little pressure".

Post 369 by JohnW
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mdac-first-listen-part-00100001.160432/page-19

Sadly it’s a case of his actions speaking louder than words

so time for yet another cease fire, although I feel that this thread was Specifically started by Tony to give John a fresh platform in that very respect
Hopefully the PFM member writing the code can share what they are doing.

The appeal of an inside man would help immensely IMO if John is indeed after all these issues, committed to fulfilling his promises,

I just hope we don’t project our frustrations onto him/her as well

"Weekly update...
I've also a workable solution for the MDAC2 front panel / UI, and ordered the LCD panels from China & system MCU's etc".

Wait a second here, apparently the UI was sorted already by a local Czech company.

So which one of these is true?

Post 959 by JohnW Feb 2, 2019
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mdac-first-listen-part-00111010.217561/page-48

"To "Finance" the UI driven front panel for the "proper" MDAC2 and FDAC I've stuck a deal with a local company - I'll introduce them to vendors and suppliers in China (Taking them around China etc.) in exchange, as a form of payment they will develop the FDAC / MDAC2 UI".

Posted 2 hrs ago
I already have a keen PFM member with time on his hands itching to get into the code... no expectations, but a possible path
1f642.png
- I posted out hardware earlier this week to allow him to start exploring the software / hardware environments...

To the keen PFM'er who is itching to get into the code: thank you, and good luck.

I also have a colleague who is an experienced commercial programmer (with C++, amongst others) who would be willing to help. I know my colleague is good - I've seen his work and the speed with which he picks up and solves novel problems. If you believe two heads are better than one, please PM me.

This offer was also made to John a few days ago but the PFM'er had beaten me to it.

Additionaly, does anyone know how to code XMOS devices? It's appears to be a similar C/C++ environment but audio hardware knowledge may be a pre-requisite. Surely there's someone out there...?

Management skills? After 7 years the company would have gone to the wall or the employee would be an ex-employee.

Eh? The skill that Ian was referring to was the ability to recognise that constant criticism and anger directed at JW is self-defeating. This is referring to us, not John.

However, I do believe we're starting to turn the tide here, and are starting to collectively think more constructively and pragmatically.

Agreed, but the more delays, the sooner we will start the self destructive cycle again

Sadly it’s human nature and quite hard to be intelligent about it when money is involved

advertisement

Back