advertisement

Single Ended Valve amp scratch ...

Same applies to a Single Ended Triode. You need to be using it in the zone where it isn't producing excessive distortion. 90 dB/W loudspeakers are unlikely to facilitate that unless you listen at very low levels.
I agree amplifier has to matched to speakers or vice versa

Same applies to a Single Ended Triode. You need to be using it in the zone where it isn't producing excessive distortion. 90 dB/W loudspeakers are unlikely to facilitate that unless you listen at very low levels.

Depends on the size of the Triode.......

Even with an 845 or 211 it would be far from ideal. There are bigger triodes but they aren't often used in a domestic setting.

My hybrid DIY 845s put out 18-20W - drive my ESL63s beautifully, sound terrible trying to drive SF Concertinos

Depends on the size of the Triode.......

It depends on the SPLs you are listening at too. In most cases, where people use a SE amp at normal listening levels, i.e. where they have neighbours next door and don't listen that loud, a SE amplifier can be ideal. However, if you are looking to push the volume, or if you have parties with lots of people in the room and want to turn the volume up, then a SE amp will be a limitation unless the speakers are very efficient (>100dB). I have used an 8-watt SET 300B stereo amplifier in one of the big rooms at the Munich High-end Show at high SPLs with about 50 people in the room and no signs of any distortion or degradation, but the amplifier was connected to 100dB+ Horns.

There are triodes for industrial use which could probably do >1000W as an SET.... maybe even 10000W! But not conducive to a domestic environment shall we say.... The 3phase 415V mains supply, 20000V+ HT supply, 1000Amp heater supply and cooling plant are the issues! The valves themselves can be surprisingly small with water cooling or vapour phase cooling.

IMO you are trying to do the impossible.
Your speakers aren't suitable for the smaller triode type SE amps that are 'affordable'.
As you get bigger and try for more/full bandwidth the cost of the Tx will make most amps exceed your budget.
You could get lucky but if you get say a £2k 300b amp it is likely to be old, or of compromised design and/or manufacture.
Lots of good suggestions on here from Art Audio, Border Patrol, Puresound, Tron and the like...Perhaps you should visit (when appropriate) and decide then what to do....

Wonder why Line Magnetic is not distributed in the UK? Selling in droves all over Europe and in the US but not here ? Strange

Not really Cato, as LM is not officially CE approved. I was offered LM over 10 years ago. Apart from the CE compliance, there were too many issues around using them with certain products i.e. high-efficiency speakers. You don't see the electronics advertised in Germany because of the huge €20,000 fines involved if you are caught selling non-compliant products. Unfortunately, nothing sells in droves anymore...

It depends on the SPLs you are listening at too. In most cases, where people use a SE amp at normal listening levels, i.e. where they have neighbours next door and don't listen that loud, a SE amplifier can be ideal. However, if you are looking to push the volume, or if you have parties with lots of people in the room and want to turn the volume up, then a SE amp will be a limitation unless the speakers are very efficient (>100dB). I have used an 8-watt SET 300B stereo amplifier in one of the big rooms at the Munich High-end Show at high SPLs with about 50 people in the room and no signs of any distortion or degradation, but the amplifier was connected to 100dB+ Horns.

Tried out a few SPL phone apps this morning and all suggest that normal here is under 60 dBA (phone at 1m from single speaker) with peaks under 70. I did turn it up a fair bit earlier, classical would peak in the 80s and still be within a 'normal' listening range, anything with electronic bass I could feel in my lungs well before that level.
[Tron 9w 300B SET amp into 93dB Tannoy]

Edit: for reference the machine the other side of the door runs at a pretty constant 75 dBA

advertisement

Back