advertisement

Keir Starmer sacks RL-B

Could someone spell out for me what the actual AS trope was? I read accusations against the practices of an arm of Israeli government, have i missed an important detail?

Add support for Public Services and Trade Unions in there and you’ve got my vote, though I know you don’t like trade unions...

I see many Trade Unions as hopelessly corrupt and archaic being little more than career paths for a certain type of trough-feeding pole-climbing bureaucrat, but I’m not opposed to the concept and they certainly did a huge amount of good back in the old days of mass labour. As with so much in our politics and life in general they need a total rebuild and reboot, but the concepts of employment rights, health and safety at work etc clearly need to be enshrined in law and have strong advocates to protect the most vulnerable.

The case of Jackie Walker is an instructive insight to the AS debacle.

Jackie Walker is a black Jewish human rights activist who got into trouble for suggesting that the Holocaust Memorial Day should also include recognising the plight of black people

Maxine Peake has admitted it & apologised! Which bit don’t you get. I don’t think RLB is AS but if you re-tweet something then you offer tacit approval.

You keep talking about libel but continue to throw around accusations of various people being Tories.

Don’t bother replying as you are on my ignore list.

Peake was under pressure from the Tory media - and she gave in. You're getting grief from me for your incessant trolling

This isn’t about AS. This is a case of AS being used to achieve the political end of getting rid of a rival who’s view on a vital area of party policy, differs from that of the leader

I think you missed my point but no matter.

The Tribune article above seems to suggest that RBL lacks a bit political astuteness as well. When you've processed that statement have a read of the Guardian article I quoted above. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I think you missed my point but no matter.

The Tribune article above seems to suggest that RBL lacks a bit political astuteness as well. When you've processed that statement have a read of the Guardian article I quoted above. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Where does the article say or suggest that RLB lacks political astuteness?

I had to look FIFY up ....but you were quite wrong to insert 'woman' into my original post.

Perhaps your association with her has blinded you to the way she comes across in the media.

Anyway, RLB is one of the good ones who actually cares and this maybe the making of her or perhaps she will become disillusioned with the way Westminster politics works and drift into anonymity. Time will tell.

I had to look FIFY up ....but you were quite wrong to insert 'woman' into my original post.

Perhaps your association with her has blinded you to the way she comes across in the media.

Anyway, RLB is one of the good ones who actually cares and this maybe the making of her or perhaps she will become disillusioned with the way Westminster politics works and drift into anonymity. Time will tell.

I wasn’t trying to accuse you of sexism. I thought you were say that RLB suffered from not being seen to have gravitas before 50. While I have heard this said, I’ve never heard anyone say it about a man, that a man lacks gravitas before they’re 50.

I know that's the dominant narrative but I believe in hard evidence, preferably quantified, and the evidence I've seen doesn't back it up:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/op...s-antisemitism-failures-really-corbyns-fault/

The whole article is worth reading but the most relevant bit is the "New Broom" section which describes how, when Corbyn finally got control of the party bureaucracy in 2018, the number of suspensions etc. re anti-Semitism increased dramatically, and the speed with which cases were dealt with also increased. Check out the table summarising this data.

This must be seen in the context of the leaked Labour Party report, which shows beyond any doubt how senior members of the party machine sabotaged both Labour's electoral prospects, and the effort to address anti-Semitism within the party.

The only way Corbyn could have addressed these issues effectively would be by purging the right wing from the party bureaucracy and the PLP. He would have been denounced as a "Stalinist" if he did. Meanwhile, Starmer seems determined to purge the left from any positions of influence and is hailed as a "strong leader".

Leaving aside for the moment how it was dealt with, the article makes it clear that Labour has an anti-semitism problem, doesn't it? It's just that a number of people on this forum seem to be unable to grasp that reality.

I wasn’t trying to accuse you of sexism. I thought you were say that RLB suffered from not being seen to have gravitas before 50. While I have heard this said, I’ve never heard anyone say it about a man, that a man lacks gravitas before they’re 50.

I had in mind Blair being called Bambi, Thatcher in her pre-elecution lessons days and the medias treatment of William Hague (complete with c**t cap at Alton Towers).

Leaving aside for the moment how it was dealt with, the article makes it clear that Labour has an anti-semitism problem, doesn't it? It's just that a number of people on this forum seem to be unable to grasp that reality.
Yes.

There are/were Labour Party members who have tweeted anti-Semitic content.

Some (a smaller number) might rightly be described as outright anti-Semites.

I can't think of a single poster here, or any Labour Party member I know, who would deny that.

The problem is that, as a piece of political analysis, it's practically empty. Now what?

I don't remember ever hearing anyone use the word 'gravitas', but certainly in days gone by (relative) youth could be seen as a handicap in politics. David Owen was still being referred to as a 'boy wonder' when he became Foreign Secretary at the early age of 38.

In other news Tory housing spiv Jenrick has been caught with his grubby fat hands in the till yet again (Guardian). Never mind, Labour can keep the topic on anti-Semitism if it wishes...

I've only just noticed whilst Googling articles on RL-B, but to me she looks uncannily like Sarah Millican, if the latter lost a bit of weight.

Yes.

There are/were Labour Party members who have tweeted anti-Semitic content.

Some (a smaller number) might rightly be described as outright anti-Semites.

I can't think of a single poster here, or any Labour Party member I know, who would deny that.

The problem is that, as a piece of political analysis, it's practically empty. Now what?

Now? Accept that Labour has a serious problem to deal with and part of that strategy must be to show zero tolerance of anything remotely anti-semitic. Hence RLB had to go.

As for posters who didn't think it was a big deal there's more than one or two.

"I haven't come across anybody who has mentioned the Labour party and anti-semitism as a subject."

Q "How can the deputy leader of the Labour party be denied acces to the facts and figures on anti-semitism and has asked for but not been given sight of a report to be submitted to the equalities commission?
A In the grand scheme of things it's not important, it's just another diversion from the mess caused by 9 years of tory mismanagement of just about everything."

"And I'll bet all those complaints of anti-semitism turn out to be perfectly reasonable anti Zionism."

There are very few political leaders who would turn down an invitation to visit the Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem. Jeremy Corbyn is one.

Now? Accept that Labour has a serious problem to deal with and part of that strategy must be to show zero tolerance of anything remotely anti-semitic. Hence RLB had to go.

As for posters who didn't think it was a big deal there's more than one or two.

"I haven't come across anybody who has mentioned the Labour party and anti-semitism as a subject."

Q "How can the deputy leader of the Labour party be denied acces to the facts and figures on anti-semitism and has asked for but not been given sight of a report to be submitted to the equalities commission?
A In the grand scheme of things it's not important, it's just another diversion from the mess caused by 9 years of tory mismanagement of just about everything."

"And I'll bet all those complaints of anti-semitism turn out to be perfectly reasonable anti Zionism."
Thinking that an issue has been blown up out of all proportion (and misrepresented) is not the same as denying the existence of a problem. The former is reckless and ultimately derails efforts to address anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry, while the latter is, of course, necessary. There's now convincing evidence that the former is what the right-wing of the party did to further its factional agenda, while positively hindering efforts to deal with the issue.

Anyway, why not name the posters concerned and let them defend themselves.

advertisement

Back