advertisement

UK building its own sat nav system

agree, but duplicating Galileo is just #%^}*{ stupid. Next they’ll be building their own internet.
Just in case this is not a joke we are already a part of the Internet. Any idea what the word Internet actually means?

Cheers,

DV

agree, but duplicating Galileo is just #%^}*{ stupid.

yup, pretty much the same Ignorant stupidity that 51% of the Great British Public showed when they voted for Brexit. The loss of the high-res positioning from Galileo is one of the consequences. But, hey, don’t let the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

There was an article on the register a while back about the problems with making your own SatNav system (when it was first suggested) and as ever the problem is finding suitable frequencies for such a system. Apparently there basically aren't any available, and to get the international community to shuffle things around to make this possible will take years assuming there is even any incentive for such a change to happen. So basically, even if the UK had suitable satellites in orbit, they wouldn't be able to transmit a signal.

Next up, the GPS receiver chipsets in phones etc would need to know about, and be able to receive the UK signal. This will also be a complicated process. From my reading of the intention, OneWeb own some frequencies which might be of use, so I guess that's the valuable bit not the satellites in orbit.

Here's the article I was thinking about - https://www.theregister.com/2018/12/03/brexit_satellite/

Good Morning All,

I remember the good old Decca Navigators MK 12 & 21 on BP Tankers of old and looking through to the cockpit of the S61's flying out to the North Sea and seeing them at work there........... It seems a 'no-brainer' to me that the UK Government needs to re-negotiate its way back into the Galileo project??

Regards

Richard

It seems a 'no-brainer' to me that the UK Government needs to re-negotiate its way back into the Galileo project??

Regards

Richard

Perhaps announcing money for our own project is a clever ploy to concentrate minds in Europe about the advantages of having an extra partner to share the cost..........

No, too clever for this lot.

advertisement

Back