advertisement

NAC 92 and/or Nait 3/R preamp

Plink

pfm Member
Question on these preamps. I’ve read that these rank last in the Naim preamp hierarchy. What makes these two inferior to, say, a NAC 32.5 or 72?

NAC 92 was launched to replace NAC 62 not inferior to 72/32.5 most would say, but the hiearchy became more and more confusing, indeed Nac 92 was their nine'th 2-channel preamp in range

NAC 62 1988 Replaced by NAC 92

Electrically the NAC 12, 42, 62 and 92 are all the same pre-amp. They differ in layout, power rails, and input selection capability and do have their own signatures. But Olsen is correct, the 9 is the 9th pre-amp. The 52 came out after the 72, but it was in development long before that.

These pre-amps lack the time aligned filter boards that were fitted to 72,82, 102 etc.

Thanks to the both of you. This is what I was suspecting but wasn’t sure...the lack of time aligned filter boards might be the reason many would say inferior. I did not know the preamp history going back to the 42.

What is the difference between 62 and 42 then. I can’t even remember if I have a 42 or a 62 paired with my 110/HC.

If it has big knobs and four inputs it be a 62.

1047054-naim-nac-62-with-phono.jpg

My first Naim pre-amp was a 92R and I felt it was decent enough although I replaced it with an ancient 32.5 which I did prefer. I upgraded the power-amp from a 90.3 to a 140 at the same time though, so not sure how much of the improvement was the power amp and how much was the pre.

The NAC92 has different filter values compared to standard NA321/NA324 boards. This is in part responsible for that particularly lean and slightly grainy sound. Once these filters are changed to standard Naim values, the difference in sound becomes much smaller. Been there, done that.

Many moons ago I've used a Nac 92 shortly but was more happy with a NAC 62.

The slimline 92/90.3/FC/03/CD3 was a cost down attempt me thinks.
Allthough tuner and CD3 in particular were quite good

You are welcome! The NAC is still being used regularly, certainly no „modified-till-it‘s-abandonware“ stuff.

advertisement

Back