advertisement

The heel of Italy

If I were you I would go right away, flights and quaranteen permitting. No crowds, no busloads of tourists, and probably lower prices.

If I were you I would go right away, flights and quaranteen permitting. No crowds, no busloads of tourists, and probably lower prices.
There is something to it, but I don’t like temperatures over 35 degrees Celsius at all. :(

Why not consider Sicilia. A whole island to explore and just so many ancient sites etc.

In '63 or thereabouts, after 3 months away on a Lambretta and most of that living in olive groves in Corfu and Parga, my friend and I arrived at Otranto on our way back to London. We were met by a friendly Italian who invited us to a 4 hour lunch in his home, lent us his beach hut to sleep in and pointed us to a mechanic in Lecce to get my machine fixed. Lovely memories, but we were very glad to finally get home via the French Alps in an ailing 150cc scooter

Love Sicilia, Fly to Palermo and explore the west coast. Trapani down to Mazzaro on to Marsala, Selinunte, Agrigento, Erice Palermo itself would have plenty of shouting and great fish market. Sicily has all the things you want married with great history. It also has the rubbish bags you seem to be looking for :)

Edit: Just noticed others have suggest Sicily already :) Will keep going Ragusa, Noto, Modica, Scicli and various other places in that South eastern tip.

a bit heavy on the Montalbanoesque but none the worse for that :)

Yes I couldn't understand that as I had never seen the series :D All in all another lovely region with rustic old towns with huge charm. Noto is very regal. Choc and coffee in Modica and the beach in Marina Di Ragusa if one is inclined.

We stayed in a village one train stop along from Sorrento. If you do go don't sign up for bus tours the railways are good value (30 Euros for 3 days unlimited local travel, buy in railway station), we visited Pompei which has a train station(for some reason the train ticket allowed using a shorter queue), Naples was worth a visit. The Amalfi coast bus trip and boat trip was interesting. Don't even think about driving in the two weeks i spotted only one car without a scrape, they are crazy drivers. Capri was a round of queues, boat, bus and cable car but the view from the top was fantastic.

I live in Italy. Though it is hard to believe given the stereotypes, the Italian public transport system is superb. Trains and buses leave on time, they interconnect, and you can get to tiny out of the way places. There’s also Flixbus, which is comfortable and cheap. By all means hire a car. Just understand that in Italy everyone has the right of way at all times.

I live in Italy. Though it is hard to believe given the stereotypes, the Italian public transport system is superb. Trains and buses leave on time, they interconnect, and you can get to tiny out of the way places. There’s also Flixbus, which is comfortable and cheap. By all means hire a car. Just understand that in Italy everyone has the right of way at all times.

True except those airports that connect to their railway stations by bus. ie Milan, Venice, Naples...

Trains to small places were a real benefit and as you say cheap. The bus ride along the Amalfi coast road was an experience similar to that in the 'Italian job'; best to concentrate on the fantastic scenery. The area is well worth a visit and very friendly people.

True except those airports that connect to their railway stations by bus. ie Milan, Venice, Naples...
Naples is easy enough. Buy your Alibus ticket in the airport at the newsagent stand, go outside to the bus stop, 20 minutes on the bus, Piazza Garibaldi, right outside the station, take your pick from there.

advertisement

Back