advertisement

Keir Starmer sacks RL-B

Can we all accept that it's hard to convey full meaning, intent or even tone in one or two short sentences - unless it's deliberately set out to cause offence? That's what I was getting at up thread...

I have Irish Catholic and Scottish Protestant and CofE English, THUS I WIN. I can slag off Catholics, Prods, and wishy-washy neither one thing nor the other Anglicans, but I suppose I have to go easy on other faiths.

My godfather was a monk. Beat that!

As a tax-payer I don’t see why I should be asked to foot the bill for brainwashing children, and that is *exactly* what faith schools do.
Not very effective brainwashing if that is what they are trying to do. Most churches are not even half full on Sundays, RC schooling produces next to no priests from this country and most people are having humanist weddings. And don't forget that Ireland was the first country in the world to have a referendum to give approval to same-sex marriage. That's not what was taught in schools.

Can we all agree that it's hard to convey full meaning, intent or even tone in one or two short sentences - unless it's deliberately set out to cause offence? That's what I was getting at up thread...

I'm usually quite obvious when causing offence, but some people are extremely touchy. They're the ones who say 'Was that aimed at me?, even when a remark was clearly general rather than specific. By contrast, most insults sail over my head, because I assume they must be aimed at someone else.

My two grandfathers were monks.

Were your grandmothers nuns?

Both my grandfathers worked in the brewery trade, in different capacities and in different cities. I never knew either of them, but apparently one was a dour, strict Scots Presbyterian, and the other a gentle Irish Catholic.

Maybe Starmer will regain enough old white "patriots" to make up for losses elsewhere but I wouldn't count on beating the Tories at their own game - they are masters of harnessing old white spite.

Drood what's that little outburst got to do with RLB stupidly re-tweeting something she didn't have to. It's not as if the subject matter hadn't caused Labour problems just recently is it? This need never have happened.

Victimhood! Some absolute brass balls on you there, after all the “I’m politically homeless!” wailing during the 5 minutes the entire non-Tory universe didn’t centre on your interests and prejudices.

Your post had nothing to do with RLB’s actions or with antisemitism, it was just using the situation opportunistically to nurse old wounds and rehearse stupid routines about left puritanism. Enjoy yourself, it’s not like anything important’s at stake.

I've shared the same party as you but have a different view. You can stuff the 'holier than thou" guff.

This was a totally self-inflicted stupid thing to do. Why somebody well aware of the sensitivity would do something this daft is open to question, unless perhaps they were unconcerned that this might be the result.

<moderating>

I’ve split the RL-B sacking out of the Keir Starmer thread as the latter was due a split anyway and this is clearly worthy of a thread of its own given the amount of posts.

I also lost a sock puppet.

Academies have been a disaster, not just free schools. I did quite a bit of work for UCU with the Anti-Academies Alliance bitd but I've just forgotten all the detail now - one of the things that has completely gone with my stroke.
Oh yes. I only mention Free Schools in the context of Faith Schools. Academies are indeed nonsensical. More expensive, less accountable, more open to corruption and indeed crime, and of no demonstrable increase to attainment. I was talking to a young man only two nights ago about his experience of having just left a school that was once normal, but converted to academy status a few years ago. He said it went from being a school that did it’s best to treat him like a person, to a business that only cared about him as a set of data and how it contributes to GCSE headline figures

Sorry to hear about your stroke btw

That's not what happened.
Tony L posted "Yes, I’d like to see some real movement on that. I’d also like to see the words ‘faith’ and ‘school’ never appear together in the same sentence."
I responded:
Does that include Catholic and Church of England schools?
Little chance of that with RLB given she is a practising Catholic.
If it was someone else I could have said
Little chance of that with XYZ given she is a practising Anglican.
And that would have been you expressing a prejudice, but a less damning one, because you wouldn’t have been invoking a dual loyalty trope or slurring a minority. Try Jew or Muslim instead of Anglican if this isn’t sinking in.
FWIW judging by my surname I’m of Irish descent. I don’t give a shit about any religion. I didn’t read the comment as anti-Irish at all.
Oh you didn’t. I see.

Why don’t you try a substitution test on that statement too?

I don’t believe either of you are bigots but you are both being bigoted. It’s quite interesting in the context isn’t it. I won’t labour the point because I’ll invite the charge that I’m making something of nothing just to make the point, when the fact is that I’m genuinely annoyed at the stupidity and bigotry that follows RLB around. This isn’t the first time she’s been othered like this and it’s not the first time I’ve had to point it out to people who think they’re beyond prejudice.

It appears that some overreactions are more acceptable than others.

Indeed. Blind eyes all round to Labour anti-Semitism (I do not mean RLB here, as I don’t think she is at all) and Corbyn so happily waving through Farage’s white ethnic nationalism, but someone puts the word ‘Catholic’ in a sentence and all hell breaks loose! No wonder the Labour party is a lost cause...

PS I thought I was the one defending RL-B, but never underestimate the ability of a Labour activist to start an argument on their own in a room.

game_girl_yawn.gif

Were your grandmothers nuns?

Both my grandfathers worked in the brewery trade, in different capacities and in different cities. I never knew either of them, but apparently one was a dour, strict Scots Presbyterian, and the other a gentle Irish Catholic.

The two stereotypes you mention still live on, but I might be less than objective in my observations. BTW the dour Presbyterianism is epitomised by a woman from Aberdeen who when told it was such a beautiful sunny day replied "Aye, but we'll pay for it later."

A story I came across the other day might appeal to you. It concerns the great Scots philosopher David Hume (mid 18th century) who fell into a bog taking a short-cut home. Again we have a woman this time she was passing by and heard his cries for help. She declared he was "Hume the Atheist" and would have nothing to do with him. He pleaded with her and eventually she relented but on condition that he recite the Lord's Prayer and the Apostolic Creed. Luckily he remembered both and was duly saved. Thank God!

Oh yes. I only mention Free Schools in the context of Faith Schools. Academies are indeed nonsensical. More expensive, less accountable, more open to corruption and indeed crime, and of no demonstrable increase to attainment. I was talking to a young man only two nights ago about his experience of having just left a school that was once normal, but converted to academy status a few years ago. He said it went from being a school that did it’s best to treat him like a person, to a business that only cared about him as a set of data and how it contributes to GCSE headline figures

Sorry to hear about your stroke btw
Having been through this transition myself I can only agree.

The two stereotypes you mention still live on, but I might be less than objective in my observations. BTW the dour Presbyterianism is epitomised by a woman from Aberdeen who when told it was such a beautiful sunny day replied "Aye, but we'll pay for it later."

A story I came across the other day might appeal to you. It concerns the great Scots philosopher David Hume (mid 18th century) who fell into a bog taking a short-cut home. Again we have a woman this time she was passing by and heard his cries for help. She declared he was "Hume the Atheist" and would have nothing to do with him. He pleaded with her and eventually she relented but on condition that he recite the Lord's Prayer and the Apostolic Creed. Luckily he remembered both and was duly saved. Thank God!
You've been reading The Sunday Post again, haven't you?

I still don't see the point of re-tweeting something that was published in a mainstream newspaper that's freely available online. If I re-tweeted an interview that was highly critical of my boss, I'd expect to be sacked. So I wouldn't do it.
I think this nails it. Nothing more need be said. A friend of mine recently commented that as we get older we get much better at knowing what NOT to say. I hope the same is true for RLB because her heart is in the right place.

advertisement

Back