advertisement

Keir Starmer sacks RL-B

Does that include Catholic and Church of England schools?
Little chance of that with RLB given she is a practising Catholic.
This is an anti-Catholic, anti-Irish trope. I’d report it except that it’s already been met with the approval of the site owner.

This is an anti-Catholic, anti-Irish trope. I’d report it except that it’s already been met with the approval of the site owner.
I disagree. I included Church of England schools deliberately for balance.
I'll expand on it by saying I am anti all religon.

I let the RLB thing go for that reason, I agree with the general principle, but Sean is right, your statement can be taken the wrong way.

I let the RLB thing go for that reason, I agree with the general principle, but Sean is right, your statement can be taken the wrong way.
Well hopefully my folow up clarified it.
Religon is a load of superstitious mumbo jumbo that has caused a whole lot more damage to the world than good.
I'd ban it. Don't ask me how though.

Sorry but you've missed the point. I have mixed feelings about religion in schools but it's not because my Irish Catholic background means I owe dual loyalty to Rome. It seems you don't know what RLB's position on this is but you're prepared to make assumptions, based on her religion - which is linked to her ethnicity. Try substituting any other minority with a history of being persecuted and see how it sounds. It's a straightforward prejudice, playing on an established trope.

In my experience people who claim to be anti all religion tend to be especially anti one or two religions in particular, but that's by the by.

There’s no other word than misogyny for the dismissal of a serious, accomplished and substantial female politician on the grounds that they’re light weight. None. Even ignorance and stupidity don’t explain the comment but I’m happy to take them into account as mitigating factors.

It seems my comment triggered you (which probably explains why it hasn't been withdrawn). I didn't know calling someone lightweight = hatred of women. It is possible to be critical of someone without it being about their identity.

This article is being wheeled out by everyone seemingly desperate to defend the indefensible.

Try this thread instead.

https://twitter.com/Sara_Rose_G/status/1276171378044125189

That doesn’t really follow, making the jump from Israel taught control to USA police the technique of kneeling on the neck, probably been around since knees evolved, so most likely not true, to Israel is behind the plot to kill black people and is ordering and teaching the US police to do it is one hell of a jump and doesn’t really make sense.

Sorry but you've missed the point. I have mixed feelings about religion in schools but it's not because my Irish Catholic background means I owe dual loyalty to Rome. It seems you don't know what RLB's position on this is but you're prepared to make assumptions, based on her religion - which is linked to her ethnicity. Try substituting any other minority with a history of being persecuted and see how it sounds. It's a straightforward prejudice, playing on an established trope.

In my experience people who claim to be anti all religion tend to be especially anti one or two religions in particular, but that's by the by.
The point I was trying to make was that RLB would not get rid of faith based schools because she is herself religious. I admit I don't know her position but I doubt it is one of abolition.

It seems my comment triggered you (which probably explains why it hasn't been withdrawn). I didn't know calling someone lightweight = hatred of women. It is possible to be critical of someone without it being about their identity.
You’ve called her lightweight when she very clearly is not. So you haven’t been critical of her, you’ve insulted her capabilities without foundation or any thought beyond disliking her for what she is.

The point I was trying to make was that RLB would not get rid of faith based schools because she is herself religious. I admit I don't know her position but I doubt it is one of abolition.
I understand the point you’re making. Do you understand that it’s nothing but prejudice? Try the substitution test. “I don’t know what X’s position on Y is, but it’s probably bad because she’s a Z”.

RLB does not have a position on faith schools except those faith schools that are Free Schools. She does have, up to today at least, a position on making schools accountable to the locality. So quite possibly if there was a sizeable local demand for, say, a Catholic School, then it would serve a useful purpose.

To be honest there is so much wrong with education at the moment, that tilting at religious school other than free schools would be a distraction from far more pressing needs

I understand the point you’re making. Do you understand that it’s nothing but prejudice? Try the substitution test. “I don’t know what X’s position on Y is, but it’s probably bad because she’s a Z”.
That's not what happened.
Tony L posted "Yes, I’d like to see some real movement on that. I’d also like to see the words ‘faith’ and ‘school’ never appear together in the same sentence."
I responded:
Does that include Catholic and Church of England schools?
Little chance of that with RLB given she is a practising Catholic.
If it was someone else I could have said
Little chance of that with XYZ given she is a practising Anglican.

RLB does not have a position on faith schools except those faith schools that are Free Schools. She does have, up to today at least, a position on making schools accountable to the locality. So quite possibly if there was a sizeable local demand for, say, a Catholic School, then it would serve a useful purpose.

To be honest there is so much wrong with education at the moment, that tilting at religious school other than free schools would be a distraction from far more pressing needs

Academies have been a disaster, not just free schools. I did quite a bit of work for UCU with the Anti-Academies Alliance bitd but I've just forgotten all the detail now - one of the things that has completely gone with my stroke.

FWIW judging by my surname I’m of Irish descent. I don’t give a shit about any religion. I didn’t read the comment as anti-Irish at all.

I knew there was some good in you, as my uncles would say. :D

I have Irish Catholic and Scottish Protestant and CofE English, THUS I WIN. I can slag off Catholics, Prods, and wishy-washy neither one thing nor the other Anglicans, but I suppose I have to go easy on other faiths.

advertisement

Back