advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Some clarification on the path moving forward.

The DevDAC will be designed to fit within the orignal MDAC chassis (so those who have salvaged unit can upgrade there units as was the orignal intention) - it will also be offered with a new custom chassis.

New front and rear panels will be provided for the MDAC upgrade.

The MDAC2 (DevDAC) uses a standard discrete analogue output stage - while the FDAC in the full width case is based on the Direct drive transformer technology (both implement the discrete DAC design).

FDAC will be the later design support more options....

DevDAC is the design that was "publicly" listened to just before the pandemic hit and this is the MDAC2 design moving forward.

The DevDAC will be designed to fit within the orignal MDAC chassis (so those who have salvaged unit can upgrade there units as was the orignal intention) - it will also be offered with a new custom chassis.

The MDAC2 (DevDAC) uses a standard discrete analogue output stage - while the FDAC in the full width case is based on the Direct drive transformer technology (both implement the discrete DAC design).

DevDAC is the design that was "publicly" listened to just before the pandemic hit and this is the MDAC2 design moving forward.

So exactly how long before you have an agreement in place before we can even hope that some real progress is made in regards to manufacturing and end products ?

Please might I ask for a little further clarification.

You say that "the DevDAC will be designed to fit within the original MDAC chassis". Does this mean that the board or boards have yet to be designed or prototyped?

Has any of the design work for the new front and rear panels been completed, or have any prototypes been produced?

You say that "DevDAC is the design that was "publicly" listened to just before the pandemic hit", but in an earlier post, you referred to this as a "rats nest". As I understand the term design, it means the largely completed device, including the boards etc. Please would you clarify what you mean by the design.

I am just trying to get some idea of just where we actually are with this project.

Many thanks,

Tim.

As I said on FB, John - Do what is right for you and yours. Life is too short.

Sorry, I do not agree. We are 7 years into this project and to date, John has produced a few prototype boards. In the meantime, he has sold designs to other manufacturers and we are still waiting and being messed about. I would be more than happy if people would fund me to the tune of £100k+ and let me do what I want. I could pay my mortgage off and just work enough to pay the lower cost of living.

John is clearly damaging his own "reputation" here. This thread is high on the Google search for "John Westlake" and thus I'm sure most audio manufacturers are aware and probably sceptical of becoming involved with someone who misses deadline after deadline and has questionable morals based on this project.

The investors here deserve allot more from John. We deserve to know why Jarek has walked away and we deserve a say in how the project proceeds. Back in February, it seemed that we were finally going to see a product in the DevDac. All it needed was a Rev 3/4 Board and Firmware from Jarek prior to a production run. There was even listening sessions for some visitors. And then the wheels come off again. Given how us investors have been treated, it is easy to see why Jarek may have chosen to walk away. This is a sorry state of affairs, but John is in the driving seat holding all the cards and can seemingly do what he wants. I've held and bitten my tongue for too long now. This stinks.

No doubt I'll go on Johns ignore list here and be banned from his Facebook page. I got it off my chest though.

Last edited:
Sorry, I do not agree. ..
The investors here ....
Just speak for yourself. You have no idea what " the investors" think or mean!
And it makes little sense to present the truth here on the basis of insinuations that you interpret exclusively according to your opinion.
But sure John's statement about Jarek is to be at least misleading. At the end of the day it only creates more confusion.
And as for " Google search for "John Westlake"", let me quote myself:
As so often in the last months, a few rehearse the dwarves' revolt here. Knowing that they speak only for themselves and a very small part of supporters of J. Westlake here in the Forum through their always same accusations and insinuations. Even more: John, whom they are fondly hostile towards, has long put them on the Ignore List because of their blind rage. -> They can't even reach him anymore... And if you consider the lack of support, of the silent majority, others don't care about their texts either.
So why? Because of the long-term memory of Google Search. If you just make a little effort and produce decent click numbers, even with the biggest crap, you will get up in the search hits!

And it makes little sense to present the truth here on the basis of insinuations that you interpret exclusively according to your opinion.
But sure John's statement about Jarek is to be at least misleading. At the end of the day it only creates more confusion.
As so often in the last months, a few rehearse the dwarves' revolt here. Knowing that they speak only for themselves and a very small part of supporters of J. Westlake here in the Forum through their always same accusations and insinuations. Even more: John, whom they are fondly hostile towards, has long put them on the Ignore List because of their blind rage. -> They can't even reach him anymore... And if you consider the lack of support, of the silent majority, others don't care about their texts either.
So why? Because of the long-term memory of Google Search. If you just make a little effort and produce decent click numbers, even with the biggest crap, you will get up in the search hits!

WTF are you wibbling on about?

@fred sonnen

There is little point in the investors here fighting amongst ourselves. We all need to come together as one voice and insist John Westlake fulfils his promises within an acceptable time frame.

It’s been seven years and £100k+. What have we got to show for that?

The nature of "investment" is a lack of certainty - the presence of risk.
You all wanted a start-of-the-art solution for minimal price possible. 100K over 7 years is 14K a year.
I suspect no one who posts on this thread could live on that sum.

I wanted a supported high quality solution - it cost me £7k for a Rega Isis Valve.

I with @sam_cat - @JohnW - keep going!
Clearly - shorter / more concise updates / might help those that remain committed.

The nature of "investment" is a lack of certainty - the presence of risk.
You all wanted a start-of-the-art solution for minimal price possible. 100K over 7 years is 14K a year.

I wanted a supported high quality solution - it cost me £7k for a Rega Isis Valve.

I with @sam_cat - @JohnW - keep going!
Clearly - shorter / more concise updates / might help those that remain committed.

Alternatively it's a 100K for one year, which is a reasonable time to develop what was originally promised.

You say that "the DevDAC will be designed to fit within the original MDAC chassis". Does this mean that the board or boards have yet to be designed or prototyped?
Unfortunately there needs to be two versions of the DevDAC board. There is really no way around it because:

One version that fit the original MDAC chassis it is needed for those that have bought donor units else they will want their money back which is not possible because it is a large amount.

Another version for those that have sold their MDAC many years ago and do not want to re-buy a used MDAC or would rather have a new chassis.

Personally I am option two and would not like to have to buy a used MDAC, if I could find one, in worse condition and double the price of the one I sold 5 years ago.

So I find it is easy to understand why it is impossible to choose one over the other.

If we’d have been told at the beginning of the project that after 7 years we’d have nothing to show for our money (about £600 in my case) there wouldn’t have been a project in the first place. Also the project was proposed by John in the first place, he Was the one who set the parameters and timescales for the development.

I defended John for years, but I’ve had enough and now am reconciled to never receiving a DAC. Every time the finishing line appears in sight something happens to knock it back. We’re now being told that the manufacturer we were told recently was the knight in shinning armour may not after all have a hard proposal. The firmware is being written In C++ by someone who’s learning the language as he goes along, my prediction is that if that’s the case it will be very buggy.

I’d love to be proved wrong on all the above, but I’m not holding my breath.

I would encourage as many investors in these projects to stick their head above the parapet and speak out. Whether that is in support of John Westlake or their dissatisfaction of how things have turned out. The more people that speak out, the better the picture that is painted for John to see. I know I have held my tongue for a long time and given John chance after chance in the hope there would finally be a worthwhile product. However, I now feel enough is enough and after 7 years, the time for reckoning is now.

I would encourage as many investors in these projects to stick their head above the parapet and speak out. Whether that is in support of John Westlake or their dissatisfaction of how things have turned out. The more people that speak out, the better the picture that is painted for John to see. I know I have held my tongue for a long time and given John chance after chance in the hope there would finally be a worthwhile product. However, I now feel enough is enough and after 7 years, the time for reckoning is now.
And precisely what would that achieve? Do you think John is not already aware of people’s feelings?

As I said on FB, John - Do what is right for you and yours. Life is too short.

Don’t you think you’re encouraging him to piss around? I’m assuming that you can afford to have this charitable attitude? Unfortunately not everyone can so please stop encouraging him you sound like a teenage fanboi

“But sure John's statement about Jarek is to be at least misleading, At the end of the day it only creates more confusion” Right, johns statement about Jarek is to be at least misleading? The person that has 100k of investors money “is at least misleading” so your dealing with a person that’s shall we say “dissembling”?

7 years, £100k, and nothing. The fact he still has “supporters” is almost as disturbing as the way he has treated investors in a project that was largely his idea.

Why aren’t you disturbed that he openly WILL NOT speak or update anyone who might hurt his feelings, why don’t you save your vitriolic comments to the one person that actually deserves them rather than constantly trying to blame investors for being more than justifiably angry, annoyed and frustrated, You need to reassess your attitude wrt pointing fingers, you defend him like a fanboy...

And precisely what would that achieve? Do you think John is not already aware of people’s feelings?

Oh he’s aware all right but DOES NOT CARE and isn’t that bothered or this would’ve been done and finished a awful long time ago would it not? The IPhone photo scandal being a obvious example of pure contempt, a bare outright bullshit excuse that everyone had little choice but to swallow.....

Remember, it’s been going on in excess of 7 years, that’s a lot of days to get things done in including subcontracting himself out to put food on the table, what has he been doing for goodness sake?
Where’s the 100k? Very little if anything of the money was spent on the actual product promised was it?

After 7 years and a investment of 100k many will end up with a board for a 10 year old DAC, I’m sorry but that is a bad joke, wasn’t that the original idea but when the MDAC was a actual current product?

I personally think this is just being nudged along, he’s hoping you all get bored and give up or die, whichever comes first. If he was able to fulfill his commitment he would have done it a long ago imo, it became a mental obstacle that he just can’t seem to overcome.

Shame.

The above rant may make you feel better but do you seriously think it achieves anything else?

(Alcohol fuelled?) posts after midnight are often best reviewed in the morning, and then deleted.

If that makes me a 'fanboy' or a 'fanboi', so be it.

advertisement

Back