advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

There is equipment that he liked and equipment that is needed, he managed to develop products before without them. Seven years for a DAC?, a lot of that time must have been navel gazing.

Redesigns apart a major problem has always been the manufacturing process. When John's developed products for other companies that's not been his concern, here it is. I'm highly confident of his competence as a designer, but not as a manufacturer.

I for one would, John does now have all the equipment to make this happen and people have been over to his Lab to see and hear the current DevDAC board, just before the pandemic - one of them bought someone’s pledge shortly after as they were so impressed
with the sonics...I’d like some of that please :)

...of course I can understand why there is frustration too.
Yes that listening session was very encouraging! So I remain optimistic but of cause slightly frustrated as everyone. I really need a new DAC and it has to be discrete.
So I don't care how expensive the chassis end up being. Because the alternative will most likely end up costing in the neighborhood of €5,000 :eek:

It does seem unlikely that a project which has not been completed when there was no excuse would now be completed when there is one.

An update is due:-

Since that start of the Pandemic I've been left high and dry by Jarek WRT software and updates to the PCB design, PCB updates I can manage myself - however software I cannot. There more to the story here with Jarek, but I cannot say more here publicly ATM (in time I will say more) - it’s also why your hearing this news so late.

In trying to find a solution to the software issue, I've had a couple of false starts (which wasted 2-3 months), basically let down by those who over estimated there skill (I do understand that taking on someone else code is not that easy) - sure they could get it done eventually, but not in workable timescales. It’s hard in these situations when working with new people and where you want something to work out because you’re in poor situation, but I had to read the worrying signs and make a decision before it became too late... I should say even more late...

So left with no "simple" solution to software (firmware completion) - and its looking like I'll be working in partnership with a larger company who will complete the software and also arrange and manage production - this does take much of the future burden off me - however bringing there software team up to speed is a daunting task, my greatest fear is that I might need to simply the design as they are not so competent at this time - I feel rather trapped, the audio field is dying its become harder and harder to find good people....

The agreement in progress is along the lines that the company will have access to the IP and manufacture the sponsored units "at cost" - and also manufacture the retail units for LakeWest (if I decide to want to do this) - and then they in return also have the rights to the technology for there own designs.

My back is rather up against the wall here, so I really don’t have a choice - the priority is to get the DevDAC / FDAC shipped this year - and this is the most sensible and really only piratical solution I see on the horizon with every spanner that’s being thrown into the works ATM.

Considering the current pandemic situation and the troubles this is causing from personal to component sourcing & production its maybe good idea to be in a partnership with a larger group (well not from a health aspect)... I still have the SMT line here to build prototypes / specials and small batches if called for in the future.

Software, electronics and chassis production I have a path ahead for - this leaves the updates required to the design (update the PCB from the rats nested unit we listened during the demo - to a production board, and this is an area I'm still not sure of the best route.

This issue is that Jarek and I use different PCB design software - prior to this situation I'd had no practical experience of working with his software - I've spent a month working with it now, but its not a solution that works for me.

So I either have to redraw the PCB design into my CAD software from ground up, or with an external PCB designer - it took 6 years teaching Jarek to get him to the level he is now, so I just don’t see it as a quick practical solution to work with a new designer... so this will leave the PCB down to me - although its such a large decision I've not taken it yet.

The reason I've not made the decision on the PCB yet, is that I need the bigger picture of the software completion (which I'm unable to do myself) settle first before so I know what path I'll be heading (will the design have to be simplified if I cannot find competent software / firmware guys) and also what support I'll have.

In the mean time, I've thought myself the new CAD software (its truly horrendous to use, overly complex and truly user unfriendly) - and I've also use the time in the lockdown to also teach myself C++ so that I can write software in the future and never have to be dependent on anyone else without the ability to do it myself. I'll never be able to code the XMOS in a piratical timescale, but more simple MCU / UI applications I can struggle and get better with each passing day.

I used the software required for advanced clock hardware I'm planning for the FDAC as the project I used to teach myself C++, it was kind of like diving into the deepend as it turns out to encompass a lot of complex coding.... well if we don’t push ourselves we don’t move forward - easy words but some days I've worked for 36 hours or more... only stopping when forced by Renata.

OK, I'm never going to be a good code writer - but the advance clock option is now working well - I'm confident its within my slowly improving software abilities to complete – anyway I expect to hand over to a real software guy later – “my” software is just to prove and debug the design concept / hardware… but if I have no other option for some reason, then I can struggle though to a completed product.

I’ve been so “zoned out” by having to teach myself the PCB CAD software and C++ programming + working with others to insure I have all the required design files (Jarek did not have many of the project files saved on the computer, rather he worked form his own external drive). I’ve also had to find solutions to moving forward… all while under lockdown which has further limited my options…. This is the reason I’ve not been posting much of late – in fact I hardly power on the PC with Email / forum access – in my “fear” I just needed to stay focused and work my way out of this situation – the negative posts on PFM really hit me hard and I cannot afford to loose my energy which is hard to get into gear when under such situation. I feel so DUMB learning C++ but its slowly been coming together…

I just want to stress that however it happens, my primary concern is to meet my obligations to these sponsored projects.

If all else fails, then I can scale back the designs – using an off the shelf XMOS solution, and with my “Crude” but developing software skills have a basic display / user interface.

However, at this time, I don’t believe this backwards step will be necessary – next week I should put pen to paper and sign a contract, although we are still discussing the agreement… nothing bad, but I just want everything clear as we move forward. Working on such details remotely is slow and hard to get ones point across – a face to face meeting is so much easier at such an early stage of a new corporation, but what to do under the current times…

I hope to have much of this current situation settle and out of the way with the next coulpe of weeks, and moving forward with the software, but boy do I have a feel a battle ahead to get the new company / software engineers to understand the finer points of the design / requirements etc. They are just “normal” HiFi designers… used to cobbling together applications notes or evaluation boards… not real unique technology and designs… Its not that they want to work this way, but they work with what they are told to do… there is no vision higher up to understand more advanced / different designs. Well – I guess this is “why” and what I’ll bring to the company :)

Sadly I’m handing over a lot of my IP – but I currently don’t have another solution – with my ONLY concern to wrap up these designs and ship them out to the sponsors ASAP.]

I earlier mentioned LakeWest retail – well internet sales… This is NOT an over ridding concern ATM moment (no plans are being made in this direction), but once I’ve completed my commitments, then I can picture building a small run every month of say 5 to 10 pcs if there was any interest. The real / far price of the DAC would be say GBP5K – so the development sponsors who have carried the risk of not ever seeing an end product should not feel too bad with there development Sponsorship and “At cost” pricing being SIGNIFICANTLY less!

After listening to the DevDAC which is NOT anywhere close to FDAC performance against the Chord GBP16K combo – even GBP5000 is a “bargain price”…. Although its hard for me to say GBP5000 and "bargain" in the same sentence…

With the future cooperation agreement out of the way and the proof of concept advance clock option (software development) out of the way in the next 1-2 weeks, then I need to face what to do about the updates to the PCB…. I’m dreading this – but for sure if I end up having to re-lay the PCB its going to be better for it, and I have a partial completed design to work too so it should it quicker… but not easier…

For those who have always positively supported me, thank you, and please understand my lack of posts here (I need to stay focused and not to have my positive “get up and go energy” reduced at such trying times)– but please be rest assured all my working hours and energy is being put into completion one way or another – even if I have to sell my IP soul…

what about VFET, where we have each staked thousands as individuals ?

FDAC/DEVDAC situation I can live with, VFETS has always been my biggest concern

I can write any software for the VFET's - I'll get to work on the design again once atleast the DevDAC (MDAC2) has shipped.

An update is due:-
Since that start of the Pandemic
For those who have always positively supported me, thank you, and please understand my lack of posts here (I need to stay focused and not to have my positive “get up and go energy” reduced at such trying times)– but please be rest assured all my working hours and energy is being put into completion one way or another – even if I have to sell my IP soul…

Hallo John

Thanks for the update. It would be nice if they came more regularly.
I have the impression that there are still many problems to be solved until the delivery of the individual devices. But this is normal for complex projects ;-) Also serious and fundamental ones seem to be among them, which can also be explained by the long development time. But you have given the impression that these are solvable. The future will show it.

Again, thanks for the update.
Stay healthy, positive and productive!

So basically then the general design and development that's gone into the DAC has been sold to another company that's going to sell the DAC for "GBP5K"?

So where's Jarek has he left the project?

The project has taken so long that Jarek’s life has probably moved on. Wasn’t he studying? Maybe he’s moved away for employment.

Im a huge fan of the original Mdac and it’s groundbreaking design which Btw I still own and enjoy, I have been following this thread from 2014 with genuine interest.
Having just read the latest devastating update would it not be far easier just to now draw a line in the sand and refund everybody who has become disillusioned with the the constant delays surrounding this Mammoth project and then just move on with the real die hard enthusiasts on side without have the constant sniping from this thread in the background.

Someone please tell John, I am blocked by him, to not do anything fancy, the XMOS USB can be bought programmed or at least use standard software and as for the UI a switch and some LEDS would do. I don’t know why a power amplifier needs software.

Im a huge fan of the original Mdac and it’s groundbreaking design which Btw I still own and enjoy, I have been following this thread from 2014 with genuine interest.
Having just read the latest devastating update would it not be far easier just to now draw a line in the sand and refund everybody who has become disillusioned with the the constant delays surrounding this Mammoth project and then just move on with the real die hard enthusiasts on side without have the constant sniping from this thread in the background.

John won’t refund the money and has most likely spent it anyway so that idea is a non starter.

Any bets on it being Pro-ject. They could probably design and manufacture a case in a couple of days. This should have happened ages ago.

This should have happened ages ago.

I could be wrong, but I think it was suggested a while ago but was dismissed by John because the selling price of the finished item would have been too high - or was that the FDAC, I’m not sure.

Yes VFET is a bigger monetary concern for a few of us, but for the majority the DevDAC is the biggest concern.

So getting DevDAC done will fulfill most of the deliverable and turn the prospect of getting VFET amps in near future into green again.

advertisement

Back