advertisement

Naim NAC 82 or 202

boddy69

boddy69
Hey all,

I have a Naim CD5x, NAC 102, NAP 200, HiCap Black running the amps with some Allaes, which all sounds very good. I will be adding another HiCap to the CD5x when cost allows but for the time being, I am looking to upgrade the Pre-amp which my initial thought was a NAC 202 and getting completely into the Black line.

After talking to two different Hi-Fi dealers, one has expressed I should upgrade to a NAC 202 and subsequently, another one said I should go for an NAC 82.

My gut feeling tells me a 202 as they are newer. Could anybody shed some light on this at all?

Cheers in anticipation

No, one didn’t have any 202s and the other was using one a 82 at home, so don’t think it was from a money stand point for once!

I was having similar thoughts a few years ago.

82?
102?
72 with Avondale or RLabs or whatever upgraded cards?
Teddy Pardo pre?

Cd -> dac/pre and spend the extra plus sale of 102, hi-cap and nap 200 on a better power amp?

I went from chord qute hd -> supernait/cap to chord Hugo -> Teddy Pardo MB100s and change. System sounded much better.

IMHO you’re pretty much in the Naim VFM sweet spot.

Hey all,

I have a Naim CD5x, NAC 102, NAP 200, HiCap Black running the amps with some Allaes, which all sounds very good. I will be adding another HiCap to the CD5x when cost allows but for the time being, I am looking to upgrade the Pre-amp which my initial thought was a NAC 202 and getting completely into the Black line.

After talking to two different Hi-Fi dealers, one has expressed I should upgrade to a NAC 202 and subsequently, another one said I should go for an NAC 82.

My gut feeling tells me a 202 as they are newer. Could anybody shed some light on this at all?

Cheers in anticipation

A Nac 202 is basically NAC 102 performance in another cabinet.
Twenty years ago Nac 82 became Nac 282, Nac 102 became 202 etc..

I'd hesitate putting a Hicap on your CD5x
Actually I preferred a Flatcap 2 as the HC was kind of too forced, much better on preamps.

Get an 82. Having owned one twenty years ago (and having experienced the 52/252 switch later, which was, at best, meh) I bought a late model Pots8 82 a year ago with a HiCap DR and a 250DR to replace a SN2 and am loving it.

They are really good vfm, being around 900 or so (?). Of course there's the whole 72 vs 82 discussion, but I'm pleased I did it. Don't go 202. It's performance within the hierarchy is not up to an 82, or arguably even a 72.

The 282 is overpriced IMHO.

82 rather than 202.

OTOH no analogue pre-amp beats any analogue pre-amp. It certainly beats a 20 year old pre-amp that needs a service and a super cap and a witch hat upgrade...

Especially if you can also sell the 102 and the cap and upgrade the rest of the system with the difference...

Seriously why bother with an analogue pre if you’re all digital?

Bearing in mind that the OP’s system, with the exception of the 102, is “all black”, then surely the real question should be: “Is the 202 a worthwhile upgrade over the 102 for the outlay of £2300, assuming “new”?”

and only the OP can answer that.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind that the OP’s system, with the exception of the 102, is “all black”, then surely the real question should be: “Is the 202 a worthwhile upgrade over the 102 for the outlay of £2300, assuming “new”?”

and only the OP can answer that.

of course, that was not the OP’s question.

;)

Thanks for all the input and feedback guys, Its all food for thought.
Unfortunately, I don't have time and expendable cash to chop and change amps too much as the wife would go nuts!
Is a 202 really just a 102 in a different box? Hmm!
Suzy, it would be a second hand one probably a 2006-2008 so around the £850 mark

Hey all,

I would definitely go for the 82, BUT the older it is, the more variability you will find between individual units. A proper service can largely, but not entirely mitigate this. Add to this the fact that quite a few older units have had unofficial mods, or servicing with non-standard components, and you can never be 100% sure of what you are going to get (although unofficial mods do not necessarily make a preamp sound worse!)
Another option I would consider is trading the Hicap for a DR version. This is a substantial improvement to my ears, in any system I've heard it.

I would find a Pots 8 variant of the 82. Enjoy that and when the upgrade bug comes:

Sell the Hi-Cap and get a TeddyPardo SuperCap (you should get a nice price for the Hi-Cap, so probably not too much of a stretch). Enjoy the 82/TPSC. Then when the upgrade bug comes:

Send the 82 to Witch Hat and get them to modify it to make the most of the SuperCap - this takes you to around 80% of the 52 for £450

Enjoy.

Theres also he option for Witchat to mod the 102, I'm sure the details are around here somewhere, but the Naim (pre) heirachy is to add more power supply rails, thats why a stripped out dual rail 12 is as good as anything they've ever built.

*I do speak from experience, having a 12 and 82 in close combat, the remotes always handy though;)

Yes.

What are you after? Matching boxes? Improved sound? Are you on a lengthy upgrade trail?
Hey Tony, no, I'm getting to the end as much as I love music, I can't justify too much more expenditure so thought the 202 would be a nice improvement on the 102 and another power supply on the CD5x would be the final thing.

Unfortunately now putting up the question on here it's thrown me into a quandry!!

Haven’t heard a 202 (BTW, one has just gone up on eBay), but I do have both a 102 and an 82. The 82 is somewhat better than the 102.

advertisement

Back