advertisement

Speaker cables (budget)

Might be late to this, but Van Damme Blue for me all the way

Tried more or less all the 'budget' speaker cables and then into the likes of Chord Carnival Silverscreen, Rumour 2, Odyssey 2, TQ Blue, Audioquest Rocket 11 etc and for me, Van Damme seems to have the best overall sound; a much more open soundstage etc...

I'm generally on the fence whether cables affect the sound or not; but I do know my wife listened to the same Nat King Cole tracks as ?I did when I had the TQ Blue cables in my system and then swapped them over for the Van Damme Blue and she could hear the difference like night and day! The VD Blue just opened up the sound so much more... She said it was like someone lifting a tea towel off the speakers etc

Many thanks one and all - the guidance very much approached indeed. All info and links have been passed on and I will inform you of his choice.

Many thanks one and all - the guidance very much approached indeed. All info and links have been passed on and I will inform you of his choice.
One more, try Sudiospares UK, a wide range of sommer speaker cables and Neutric fittings at low cost, 2.5 sq mm will be ok up to about 5 mtres generally . I have used them on a couple of systems very effectively.

I’ll second that.
Sommer cable and Neutrik fittings.

I use Neutrik on my PA kit and it’s never let me down.
And like a lot of these ‘bling’ plugs, etc. they’re not expensive.

Mains or any other cable is fine as there is of course no such thing as "speaker cable" ...it's all just wire at the end of the day and many of the types sold as speaker cable were manufactured for other uses... BUT for those lengths I would use as thick a cable as I can get. I'll guess the OP is doing the unforgivable but common thing of using 7m when 3m would do and merely so it can "be run out of sight" ie for aesthetic reasons... Down with this sort of thing!
I'd recommend using bare wire into the Technics own "sockets" as well.

Hey Keith, You haven't advised on directionality of cables :)

Just thought I'd reference this thread again with a progress update. At this moment in time he's planning on trying the home made approach with the DCSk cables from Amazon. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out (and hearing when lockdown is over).

Just thought I'd reference this thread again with a progress update. At this moment in time he's planning on trying the home made approach with the DCSk cables from Amazon. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out (and hearing when lockdown is over).
Good call with the DSCk. If somehow it isn't sufficient at least it wasn't a big spend. But my guess is it will be just fine!

Did he go for 2.5mm^2 or 4mm^2?

advertisement

Back