advertisement

Death of Logitech products and their replacement

The Squeezeboxes are dying, one by one.

I can't remember the model, but one that is a self contained unit with a couple of speakers is totally non-responsive.

The little streaming only one is now intermittent, and the display has a distinct flicker when the unit is in standby, it flashes into life then goes back to sleep.

I've also got one of those customised ones from someone here (or maybe from Wigwam, I can't remember), where there's a separate power supply and the box is suped up and lives in it's own shoebox. A nice piece of work tbh. That is also starting to suffer from the flicker and as it's in my eyeline while I'm 'working' I just have to turn it off. This one is the one that needs to be replaced first.

They've all been good servants, and for relatively cheap consumer electronics have definitely been excellent vfm. I shall be giving them a proper viking burial in due course.

So I'm probably looking for a replacement streamer to sit with the rest of my main unit, I don't want to spend Naim/Linn money, nor do I want to endlessly **** about with stuff I don't understand. I just want something that will pull files from my iMac, stream Spotify, I might even try Tidal/similar.

Something like the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N. What other units are worth considering?

The software still lives on and has advanced.Plug ins are still alive and kicking. Most later products can still exist on this.I run a Pi and a Squeezebox on LMS. Still life in the old faithful dog yet.

Advice is difficult, but I can share experience. I use a Lumin D1 streamer in my main system. It is an extremely flexible, superb sounding (via the digital or analogue outputs) and nicely built bit of kit. I've had it for about three years and it is rock solid in terms of reliability and connectivity. We run an Auralic Aries Mini in the kitchen and are really impressed with how good it is for not much money. It sounds great, is utterly faff-free and completely reliable. I've got a couple of Pi based streamers but I would hesitate to recommend them as they are not zero-faff. In particular we have issues maintaining connectivity with them. That may be an issue with the Pi setups or with Roon. Suffice to say that one sits in a drawer and the other is in the attic room the kids use for gaming.

The Auralic and the Lumin are perfectly happy with LMS or with Roon

Just get a Bluesound Node and be done with it. I still have my SB classic in my office system but, as and when, it'll be replaced with a Node....

I shall be giving them a proper viking burial in due course

Why not first offer them for sale (cover postage costs) over at the slimdevices forum ;)

Some parts may be useful to other people.

The Boom, I think, from your description can have a new screen.

A few of the other devices just need a new power supply (generally under a tenner).

All can be controled via a phone or tablet app, you don't need to look at the screen o_O

But...........if you want new:)

ronnie

I've been a huge Squeezebox fan since the Squeezebox 2 was new. However, in my opinion, they are now too old and too fragile to offer a seamless experience. I hung on to my Squeezebox Touch for as long as I could, but a couple of years ago I moved exclusively over to using a Chromecast Audio. Sure, you don't get the nice display that you do on the SBT, but everything else just works better. Using Plex to serve my FLAC files is fast, seamless, and bug-free; something I unfortunately cannot say about the Logitech Media Server software. And the integration with streaming services is just better. It's built for it.

The hardware spec is brilliant. The internal DACs are superb. But the software quality just isn't there anymore, sadly.

Good idea Ronnie - I'll offer them up as spares for anyone that wants them.

It is a Boom and appears completely dead, it's not just the screen that isn't working.

I've been a huge Squeezebox fan since the Squeezebox 2 was new. However, in my opinion, they are now too old and too fragile to offer a seamless experience. I hung on to my Squeezebox Touch for as long as I could, but a couple of years ago I moved exclusively over to using a Chromecast Audio. Sure, you don't get the nice display that you do on the SBT, but everything else just works better. Using Plex to serve my FLAC files is fast, seamless, and bug-free; something I unfortunately cannot say about the Logitech Media Server software. And the integration with streaming services is just better. It's built for it.

The hardware spec is brilliant. The internal DACs are superb. But the software quality just isn't there anymore, sadly.
I actually run mine seamlessly through PiCoreplayer. Not had a problem with it and have uploaded the latest software. To be honest it leaves Chromecast, sweet though it is,in the sticks really.

The Lumin and LMS - Is that via the UPnP plugin?
I am afraid I don't know the answer to that. I used to run LMS on my old Vortexbox. The Lumin worked with it via LMS without any need to do anything. I run an Innous Zen now with Roon and again the Lumin just works perfectly without any need to mess about. Ditto when I ran LMS on a notebook after the Vortexbox started to have problems now that I think about it.

Good idea Ronnie - I'll offer them up as spares for anyone that wants them.

It is a Boom and appears completely dead, it's not just the screen that isn't working.

I’d be happy to donate to PFM and pay for postage should you wish to get rid of the customized one (I think a SB+ by Patrick Dixon?) :)

Thanks, Richard

I've got a squeezebox radio here if that's of any interest, PM me and we can have a chat, and then I'll do the advert in the forum thing to keep it all above board.

I’m still using my SBT without any problems, the SB Radio continues to work fine also. I have a spare SBT as well, but in my experience they’ve been very reliable. I’m loathe to open the Pandora’s Box of replacement alternatives, I wouldn’t know where to begin!!!

My Black and RED Squeezebox radios are doing grand,with the optional internal battery they are handy for taking out into the garden or cleaning the car...still have my Duet controller too :).

I replaced my Squeezebox Touch with a Bluesound Node and never looked back.

I really liked the Squeezebox and the fact that it did high resolution, open source etc but the Bluesound app/operating system blows any of the Squeezebox apps away that I used prior to getting the Bluesound.

If you're not going to pony up for Roon, Bluesound OS is a very good interface.

They sound good too you're definitely moving forward to make the switch.

Do any of the above solutions allow you to Sync the players as per the Squeezebox solution? We tend to run 2 or 3 devices simultaneously e.g. 2 x Squeezebox booms and 1 Touch?

advertisement

Back