advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum. There are no 'sensible' Tories anywhere near the Brexit negotiations, only free-market fanatics. It remains to be seen whether the solid Tory vote in the shires will survive the slaughter of UK agriculture.

Interesting article from. the Torygraph about how Brexit might end up splitting the Tories over the issue of free trade vs protectionism, specifically of agriculture (the article might be 'paywalled', so I've given the gist below)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...di_Edi_New_Reg20200611&utm_campaign=DM1255236

'If one issue down the decades has been guaranteed to cause upheavals in the Conservative Party, it is protectionism. The great schism of 1846, following Robert Peel’s repeal of the Corn Laws, kept the Tories out of office for 20 years as free traders and landowning farmers split. In the early 20th century, efforts to secure preferential tariffs for British and Empire agricultural products caused another rift. The UK’s entry into the Common Market in the early 1970s was dominated by arguments over the impact on Commonwealth farmers of the EEC’s trade barriers.

Now that we have left the EU and are negotiating trading arrangements with the bloc and other countries, these internal arguments have broken out once more. Cabinet ministers have reportedly been at loggerheads over how to honour election commitments to uphold food production standards in a trade deal with the United States.

[...]

Under the Agriculture Bill, farmers will continue to receive most of the support they were paid under the CAP until 2022 through a series of transition arrangements that will also protect the environment and ensure high production standards. But, they ask, what will be the point of these if they are then left to the mercies of cheap imports from the US and elsewhere? In addition, if there is no UK-EU trade deal by the end of the year, their exports to Europe will become more expensive.

Are we really looking at the possible extinction of British agriculture? Aside from the impact on the livelihoods of farmers and the countryside they manage, it would be a serious matter, given how vulnerable this country – which imports 40 per cent of its food – is to a breakdown in supply lines.

If the vaunted free trade deal with America looks like foundering over agriculture, which way will Boris Johnson jump? He needs to land this deal, especially as talks with the EU are not going well. But he faces the age-old choice for Tory prime ministers: farmers or consumers? It will be hard to placate both, as Peel discovered.'
Interesting article. If Brexit destroys the tory party, well that would be a major benefit of brexit right there, imo.

Indeed. The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum. There are no 'sensible' Tories anywhere near the Brexit negotiations, only free-market fanatics. It remains to be seen whether the solid Tory vote in the shires will survive the slaughter of UK agriculture.
British agriculture will endure. It’s seen off two world wars, cows being fed to other cows, foot and mouth and bird flu. Even the tuberculosis infested badger was havin a go but we put him back in his box.

Interesting article. If Brexit destroys the tory party, well that would be a major benefit of brexit right there, imo.

I'm all for Brexit destroying the Tories Brian, if that was on the cards I'd have voted for it! But Brexit will take the UK down and more particularly, it will destroy businesses and people, not the Tories. Many of those will make serious money.

I'm all for Brexit destroying the Tories Brian, if that was on the cards I'd have voted for it! But Brexit will take the UK down and more particularly, it will destroy businesses and people, not the Tories. Many of those will make serious money.
Possibly.

Just responding to the article linked by Joe and I have a hopeful nature, Steve. I would love to see the back of this lot before I die for the sake of my kids and for the young in general.

Covid will provide cover for the damage that Brexit has/will cause. It will also allow more authoritarian measures from the Government to deal with dissent.
Covid Cover. At one level it will be cynically exploited by Johnson- he’ll point to every other economy affected just as The Sun, DM, Telegraph inundated us with images of coffins and mass graves during the pandemic, in any and every country except our own. The hellish reality is that Covid and Brexit will act synergistically in wrecking the UK’s economy and Johnson will simply change the label on the box.

So, we wave through EU goods and the EU don't.

Great for EU exports, bad for UK exports.

Still, 'f8ck buisiness', as Johnson said.

Do the Brexit party in Government think the EU will relax single market restrictions so the UK can slip through cheap, lower standard, UK imports?

They really do not understand how important the SM is to the EU project.

I think we've run the gamut of 'positive effects'.

Let's start a new thread—Brexit won't be as sh&t as it could have been.

Stephen

I think Gove is playing to an imaginary full stadium at Wembley or a full hall at Eton during some stupid debating game. All bluff and bluster me thinks. Sorry I know we are all born with flaws but this guy is not normal looking in anyway. He looks high as a kite and unhinged.

So, we wave through EU goods and the EU don't.

Great for EU exports, bad for UK exports.

Still, 'f8ck buisiness', as Johnson said.

Do the Brexit party in Government think the EU will relax single market restrictions so the UK can slip through cheap, lower standard, UK imports?

They really do not understand how important the SM is to the EU project.

I think we've run the gamut of 'positive effects'.

Stephen
From the BBC article:
The proposals only apply to rules on imports, which the UK will set. Checks on exports to the EU will be determined by Brussels

I think Gove is playing to an imaginary full stadium at Wembley or a full hall at Eton during some stupid debating game. All bluff and bluster me thinks. Sorry I know we are all born with flaws but this guy is not normal looking in anyway. He looks high as a kite and unhinged.
I know, you look around the Cabinet and ask yourself who could be more dangerous and incompetent than Boris Johnson. The first name that springs immediately to mind is Gove. Unprincipled, manipulative and disturbed.

Stephen
This is about as far as the pro-Brexit contingent have got, 2 years after serving A50 and 4 years after the ref. See also "Well it would have been even worse if we'd stayed in and [insert economic or social catastrophe that might potentially have occurred, or not] had happened."

This is about as far as the pro-Brexit contingent have got, 2 years after serving A50 and 4 years after the ref. See also "Well it would have been even worse if we'd stayed in and [insert economic or social catastrophe that might potentially have occurred, or not] had happened."
“No one said it would be easy”, “It was never about money”.

I know, you look around the Cabinet and ask yourself who could be more dangerous and incompetent than Boris Johnson. The first name that springs immediately to mind is Gove. Unprincipled, manipulative and disturbed.
I would have agreed a few months ago, but now I look at the likes of Hancock, Barclay, Jenrick and quite a few others. Clones basically. All as bad as each other and all as bad as Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back