advertisement

Porcupine Tree recommendations

phil_644

Recently I was reading the Wikipedia listing about Porcupine Tree, and it states that some of their music is similar to Pink Floyd. Since I am a huge Pink Floyd fan, I was wondering which of the 10 studio and 12 live albums by Porcupine Tree people would recommend?
I haven't heard much Porcupine Tree music, so would be grateful for some suggestions!

If you're looking specifically for a 'Pink Floyd' sound then I would recommend The Sky Moves Sideways.
Other studio albums worth checking out - In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, Stupid Dream & Signify.
If you like them you'll end up listening to all the others as well.;)

Agree re: Sky Moves Sideways being most in thrall to DSOM/ WYWH era Pink Floyd. Signify too is one of their trippiest. But beware, they can also be quite spiky and heavy a la Red era King Crimson. Fine if that’s your bag but spacey Floyd it ain’t. I find Deadwing quite prog-metal. Check out Wilson solo efforts Raven Who Refused To Sing and Hand Cannot Erase.

Great band. Some of it can border on the “too heavy” for me, but most of their stuff has merit.
The synergy between Wilson & Gavin Harrison, the drummer on a fair few of their albums really is special.
Stars Die, the delirium years is quite Floyd/ Prog type stuff.
In Absentia is probably my favourite album, but Deadwing, Lightbulb sun & several others have some outstanding tracks as well.
Check out Anesthetize from the Fear of a Blank Planet album for an overall flavour of what the band are about.... it about 18 minutes long!
In general, the early stuff is more Prog & the stuff after the early 2000’s is a bit more rocky.
Tidal is your friend for this stuff, or Burning Shed.com for buying really top quality vinyl or cd’s.

I always felt that the early albums were like Syd Barratt era Floyd. As said above Sky Moves Sideways most like Gilmour/Waters era Floyd.

It's probably the best Pink Floyd album that Pink Floyd never recorded.

As for live albums I'd recommend Coma Divine, recorded on the Signify tour in Italy.

Up to and including Coma Divine/Signify; gets heavier after that. Track down Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape - pure G/W Floyd. Seagull, you do have YHD I hope.

The recommendations thus far are spot on. Throw in Insignificance and Metanoia. Oh hell, just work your way through the catalogue from start to beginning to get the full picture and development. The one I return to currently most often is We Lost the Skyline, an acoustic in store performance.

Also worth mentioning 'Recordings' which is classified as a compilation album and has some excellent tracks on it and if you just want to chill out for 40 minutes try 'Transmission IV' which is the full 40 minute unedited improvisation of the track 'Moonloop'.

Up to and including Coma Divine/Signify; gets heavier after that. Track down Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape - pure G/W Floyd. Seagull, you do have YHD I hope.

Yes I do, I managed to find a new/sealed copy on yellow vinyl on a German website and didn't pay silly money for it.

For the OP, there is one of those album by album/song by song threads running on the steve Hoffman forum.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify would be good places to start. I'll see how I get on with these and then progress from there.

As Mr Seagull says, then there are his gigs, Lasse's work, Jess Cope @ Owl house, etc etc.. & when you become an obssesed maniac, original Adam Ohlers work pieces.

You've had great advice re Floydish Porcupine Tree. Maybe you should check out Aussie band All India Radio, especially their 2018 release Space. It's very much like Meddle/Dark Side of the Moon Floyd.

Reactions: DIB
I started on The Sky Moves Sideways, and then ended up with most of their work, and most of his solo stuff, too. The last tour had Blundell on drums, whom I like.

If you have access to streaming, you’ll lose nothing going from the beginning. Hidden gem for me is Deadwing. Play em all at a reasonable volume, too!

You've had great advice re Floydish Porcupine Tree. Maybe you should check out Aussie band All India Radio, especially their 2018 release Space. It's very much like Meddle/Dark Side of the Moon Floyd.

Good call on All India Radio. I keep meaning to investigate them further on Spotify as Radio Paradise plays them a lot and I've enjoyed what I've heard so far.

advertisement

Back