advertisement

Using the P9 without lid - a revelation

dave charlton

pfm member
In the manual accompanying the P9, Rega say that 'as well as protection from dust there also may be a sonic improvement keeping the lid closed'. Said practise has been carried out by me religiously during eighteen years of ownership.

However, looking at Rega's twitter feed recently, a pic of a (red) Planar 2 without lid sitting on the new (black) TT support looked dead smart (imho). So I thought I'd try the P9 sans lid, liked the look and set to putting a record on. What I wasn't expecting was the sonic improvement with the lid off, contradicting previous belief.

So the new norm is lid off during play :).

In the manual accompanying the P9, Rega say that 'as well as protection from dust there also may be a sonic improvement keeping the lid closed'. Said practise has been carried out by me religiously during eighteen years of ownership.

However, looking at Rega's twitter feed recently, a pic of a (red) Planar 2 without lid sitting on the new (black) TT support looked dead smart (imho). So I thought I'd try the P9 sans lid, liked the look and set to putting a record on. What I wasn't expecting was the sonic improvement with the lid off, contradicting previous belief.

So the new norm is lid off during play :).
I’ve always lifted the lid off Rega decks whilst playing, best free upgrade you can do imho.

I believe this is why Rega designed the RP8/10 to have the area that holds the lid (outer plinth) separated from the skeletal plinth of the table. When playing with the lid closed, it’s as if the lid doesn’t exist at all. Then with the new Planar 8/10, the lid is gone all together while playing.

I always used my RP3 with the lid off, not just open, but lifted off the TT chassis and then on when not in use, made quite easy by Rega's hinge design.

I'll be honest, I've not heard a difference with the Lid on or off. I usually leave it on most of the time if just playing a record or two, if its a whole evening I'll remove it.

I'm not sure how it could affect the sound unless its picking up air vibrations from say the speakers but my P9 (other than this old photo) has always been used on a wall shelf behind/above the speakers.

It does look nice and sleek without it though...

There are multiple ways you can use the RP10 but I actually prefer it with the lid on but open. If you totally remove the lid the sound is cleaner but thinner. I cannot play records with the lid closed any more as I fitted an arm spacer, so if I close the lid it hits the counterweight and lifts the stylus off the record! ;0)

The LP12 sounded best with the lid completely off, which is probably true of most turntables.

I've never used a lid on a Rega (or any other deck), right back to early Planar 3s. They seem to me to be nothing more than vibration antennae, transmitting it into the deck and doing nothing useful while the deck is operating.

This seems especially important for Regas, given that the designs, especially the modern ones, are so keen to minimise mass.

Some time back in the mad 80s (I think) when the whole flat earth, source first, thing was going great guns, there was a series of articles and letters about this. Not sure which mag it was. My recollection is that someone 'proved' that 'static' from the perspex lid of a player would alter the tracking force settings.

"They seem to me to be nothing more than vibration antennae, transmitting it into the deck and doing nothing useful while the deck is operating.

This seems especially important for Regas, given that the designs, especially the modern ones, are so keen to minimise mass."

The weight of the lid might also be a factor. Removing it allowing the benefit of the weight reduction of the P9 plinth to shine through. It really is a different listening experience without it.

They seem to me to be nothing more than vibration antennae, transmitting it into the deck and doing nothing useful while the deck is operating.

I think this is absolutely correct but it depends on whether or not the added colouration is nice! The RP10 sounds inherently clean and lean so the bit of fullness added by the lid is good, in my opinion. There is no doubt the sound is cleaner without it but that's not always what you want.

Well there you go, all the years of people complaining about how coloured the LP12 is and now an ex-Linn user wants to add some fruitiness to his Rega!

Well there you go, all the years of people complaining about how coloured the LP12 is and now an ex-Linn user wants to add some fruitiness to his Rega!

Absolutely. I liked the 'colour' of the LP12. Just not everything else it did.

I had mixed feelings when I read this - what's not to like about a free upgrade but then there is the hassle of removing the lid before listening sessions. Well I'm slightly relieved to discover that with my P6 with lid on (though open) and lid off completely I can discern no difference. Maybe I should listen with the lid closed! Actually, I've done that too, and I'm pleased to say it sounds very good regardless of lid or no lid.

advertisement

Back