advertisement

Selling wedding ring

In the days of purchase tax before VAT second hand jewellery at a jewellers was free of tax.
Big savings were to made if you were skint.

Find the best scrap value you can and then auction it with a higher start price than that.

My wife wears an engagement ring that she inherited from her Granny. It had 5 huge diamonds. I had to pay to get it remounted and reduced to 3 - still pretty impressive and it does get noticed. It remains a line item on our insurance. Still got the left over two loose diamonds in a safe (not in my house either) that we have to 'do' something with... still cannot decide what is best. Bear in mind we have three daughters. And this year is our Silver Wedding - but Covid has knocked some ideas on the head.

I had One, bought second hand for about 500 quid several yrs back and when I got divorced I went for a Walk around Hatton garden in London - had offers from 50-200 quid, obvs went for the 200!

Don't take the first offer.

Ah well, when the jewelers open I might take it to get weighed. Suppose I'll have to sell my active kef's to add to the amp fund.

When I left Mrs 998 mk1 I polished up my wedding ring (one of those 3 ring Russian style things, yeah, a bit tacky but hugely tactile) to a mirror finish and left it on the mantelpiece with a note that said “Here, my dear”. I’m pretty sure she still hasn’t worked out the Marvin Gaye reference.

My wife and I made our wedding rings for each other out of one piece of gold.

I lost the ring from my first marriage. It flew off my finger in a nightclub, didn't realise till the next day.

advertisement

Back