advertisement

New Boiler

vaillant boiler packed up over weekend , no hot water , rang them at 0900 , took 2 mins to get through , engineer coming 10.30 ish .. how`s that for service !!

engineer attended , fixed within 2 hours of phone call ....
I found that changing from vaillant to Worcester was a better solution, from my experience if they are serviced they don't break down as often.

I found that changing from vaillant to Worcester was a better solution, from my experience if they are serviced they don't break down as often.
mine is 20 years old now and pretty good , just has a microswitch every year and diverter every 2 years .

mine is 20 years old now and pretty good , just has a microswitch every year and diverter every 2 years .
The new Worcester condensing boilers are so efficient that the flue temperature is lukewarm (95% to 97% efficiency) on the flue gas. The only added maintenance is the condensate collector needs to be emptied every year during its service, about 10 mins. My dads 24cdi is 19 years old and has had no faults.

brilliant , do run 2 worcester bosch boilers in properties , both have been ok , one had a number of faults on fith year and WB engineer said they could not attend for 9 days .... yes 9 days !!! contrast that to the 2 hours from vaillant recently . my gas engineer LOVES wb !!! and he is an amazing guy but as he is emigrating to a very hot country soon i shall have to rely on others

My fifteen year old Worcester Bosch keep locking out and losing pressure. My plumber has replaced a few parts, but I feel that it is approaching the end.
Its replacement will need to run seventeen radiators in thirteen rooms over three floors, and including two bathrooms. Firstly, what size boiler should I go for, and secondly, which make?

I've just had a new WB greenstar 8000 life boiler and sealed HW system fitted. I moved house 7 months ago and the installed Potterton boiler was 23 years old. It was still running ok, but having had a boiler break in early November before, and spending many weeks trying to keep warm with a couple of freestanding oil rads and 2 fan heaters, I wanted to get the work done when it suited me and to get the right guy to do it. This was all part of updating the property and budgeted for.
His choice of boiler, I trust his expertise. Serviced annually it comes with a 12 year warranty. New stuff in the airing cupboard looks like a micro brewery..luuvvverly copper pipe work. He knows his stuff I think.

Oh, and it has a Greenstar system filter fitted too. The reason I know the heating engineer is that when I moved in I took a rad off to decorate and when I put it back the header thank did not refill...sticky valve..got crud in the down pipe and then had weeks of grief as I couldn't get the air out and water in no matter how many times I bled the rads. He had to chop out bits of pipe and replace them. So now I have no tanks in the loft and bloody good ridence to them..

My fifteen year old Worcester Bosch keep locking out and losing pressure. My plumber has replaced a few parts, but I feel that it is approaching the end.
Its replacement will need to run seventeen radiators in thirteen rooms over three floors, and including two bathrooms. Firstly, what size boiler should I go for, and secondly, which make?
Stick with wb, fit their filter to get extended warranty, classic is good but they are introducing new models, they did have a boiler sizing option on their website. Also to get max warranty it does have to be fitted by their approved plumbers i believe. Annual service history and approved prohibitor is required.

BIG thanks to vaillant again today , they are fixing nhs employees vaillant boilers for free till end of June, came out today to do a repair that would have been quite expensive and did it for nothing!

Firstly regardless of boiler exchange I would be looking at the system volume if you have 17 radiators + pipework.
Even a new boiler might need some extra help here.

If you have a sealed system boiler/combi, the internal expansion vessel is unlikely to accommodate system volumes much above 110 litres.
(Manufacturers Instructions will give maximum system volume dependant on temperature).

Volumes exceeding that figure will need an additional expansion vessel somewhere on the primary pipework.
If not, you will always be running excessive system pressure and push near to (or beyond) the pressure relief valve opening point (3 Bar).

On an older boiler it's not uncommon for expansion vessel diaphragm/schrader valve leakage.
The problem you are describing is indicative of just that issue (or a physical water leak somewhere - pipework/radiators/pressure relief leaking)
and the low pressure cut-off within the boiler is protecting the boiler (usually around 0.5 Bar).

So, test expansion vessel pressure (without water in the boiler) - usually 0.85 - 1 Bar, check for obvious system leaks, calculate system volume (> 110 litres?).

After all that - three floors/17 rads would be a great time to look at zoning the heating circuits.

My 2p's worth...

Dave.

17 rads, that’s quite a lot. Will the chosen boiler allow the required flow to feed all that? Will it benefit from a low loss header with a second pump? Worth asking your engineer.

jus on the topic of boilers , my neighbour just installed a bolier with the flue about 370 mm from our border !! so all the fumes would come over . apparently the flue should be 600 mm from border so pointed this out to them with documentation and hope they will move flue a bit to comply !!! glad i was in when they fitted it . i am sure two tone will be along to advise if i am correct

17 rads, that’s quite a lot. Will the chosen boiler allow the required flow to feed all that? Will it benefit from a low loss header with a second pump? Worth asking your engineer.
As ever - it depends. Each manufacturer has a range of boilers so you have to be careful comparing like with like and not manufacturer vs manufacturer.

I recently had a new Vaillant ecoTEC plus boiler fitted to this 3 floor detached house with 19 rads. To my surprise my old faithful Grundfos pump was removed from the airing cupboard and replaced with new piping. The new boiler has a Grundfos pump built inside! I was shown because I asked!

This new system is 'intelligent' and adjusts the water flow and its temperature to suit ambient conditions. For example it takes the outside temperature and humidity into consideration to work out the best and also cheapest way to heat the property. The temperature is set individually for each room from a central portable weather compensated controller but also from an iOS or Android device such as a phone or tablet. In my case I have even installed an Android VM so that I can run the Vaillant app from my PC to set, control or override room temps and water tank temp. Of course we haven't had a Winter yet but setting room temps high has shown the system to be working.

Cheers,

DV

Oh bugger, boiler dead. Installed 2004, service tech has been saying it's getting too old for the 6 years I've been in, so it's time. Current choice is £500 for new can etc or cut losses. I'm cutting my losses, I plan to stay for 10+ years.

So the deal is, 35-40 kW, 16 l/min minimum. Brands: Ideal Vogue, 10years, filter, wireless control, or Ideal Logic, Potterton (7years), Vokera (7 years) is a bit cheaper. All £2.5k installed +/- £200. Any advice?

Our Ideal Vogue hasn't missed a beat since it was installed, pressure on the rads hasn't moved a millimetre and it heats stuff up (rads or taps) quickly.

The problem with all advice on long-lived items is that no advice is worth anything, in the main.

I have been living here for going on 23 years. The boiler was not new when I moved in. It needed a new gas control valves about 5 years ago - something like £200-250 including installation??????? It will probably see another 10-15 years before the valve goes again when you would need a miracle to be able to get a spare. What chance anyone could buy a Glow Worm Hideaway to the same spec' even if they wanted one, today?

Now there's the kiss of death!!

advertisement

Back